Piston brand and cylinder deglazing.

8 replies to this topic
  • Kalvsylta

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:17 AM

Im looking at pistons and I am wondering are there any brands to avoid and any brands that are preferred?

Also, are there any other options than buying a hone-kit for the cylinder?

My bike is pretty old now (-04).

• skorpan777

Posted February 29, 2016 - 09:47 AM

CP-Carillio piston is High-end stuff 

Wiseco is not

If you have a old bike you have to decide what size, A is new then  B then  C

and really old some make D size

But  send a email to they who makes the pistons

They knows the best

If you have a japan's bike you can find a complete cyl, piston set cheap on ebay.

Good info about pistons:

http://motocrossacti...-but-rusty-bike

Edited by skorpan777, February 29, 2016 - 10:13 AM.

• stevethe

Posted March 02, 2016 - 05:10 PM

Weisco seem to take larger than normal clearences. Bottle brush research makes hones for your cyl.

Stock pistons are good both CP and J. E. three ring Pistons are good.

Edited by stevethe, March 02, 2016 - 05:13 PM.

• Bitteeinbit

Posted March 04, 2016 - 06:56 AM

What about cylinder works? A kit WITH a cylinder is pretty cheap. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted March 04, 2016 - 07:13 AM

What about cylinder works? A kit WITH a cylinder is pretty cheap.

Not my first choice but people have had good luck with them in Suzuki DRZ's that I know.

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2016 - 12:15 PM

OEM is your best value in terms of cost and in terms of reliability as pistons go.  And they are only made in one size. 

The Wiseco will make noise.

A Brush Research 95mm silicone carbide hone in 320 grit is ideal.  240 is usable, but 320 is preferable.  After honing until the bore is clear of shadows and scratches (use a low rpm drill motor, lube the stones with solvent and run the tool up and down the bore rapidly as it spins.  Limit honing time to 15 total seconds), measure the bore carefully.  If you find it varies in roundness or straightness more than .002" at any point, it has to be replaced or refinished. 

• YamahaWR_444

Posted March 20, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Just wondering, why will the Wiseco make noise?

• knuckleduster271

Posted March 20, 2016 - 04:36 PM

My guess is that they are made with looser tolerance than the others-
I know on cars the type of alloy in a forged piston plays a factor as well- a 4032 is a high-silicon, low-expansion alloy that is machined to tighter tolerances because it expands less once its heated up -
The other material commonly used is a 2618 alloy-
2618 is a low-silicon, high-expansion alloy,Due to its high-expansion characteristic, this alloy is engineered with additional piston to bore clearance making them slap a little until its heated up a bit then the clearance is achieved.

Edited by knuckleduster271, March 20, 2016 - 04:40 PM.

• YamahaWR_444

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Well that confirmed my suspicions. I think I have my engine noise figured out now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.