Awakening the beast; WR 450 -04

3 replies to this topic
  • Kalvsylta

Posted February 28, 2016 - 05:08 AM

Hello!
I've been looking around for similar projects like mine but found none.

I'm sitting on a WR450f 2004 which I bought two years ago, but only ridden for about 10h tops.
Now I'm taking some of it apart, to check valves and carb. Found the valves too tight so fixing that.
What is the cause of the valves getting too tight?

I've got NO clue of the condition of the piston, which I should check - are there any symptoms of a worn piston?
How does a worn cam chain look like? To me it looks fine.

If I were to replace the whole package; piston, cam chain, could I drive this bike without worrying too much about it blowing up?

The bike has run 20.000km.
When I bought it, it started fine, great power, but got no info about piston, valves etc.

I'm not planning on pushing this bike to the limits all day long. Mostly dirt roads and maybe sumo it in the near future.

What would you do?
I'm not a pro at this, yet, as you can see.

• JVP

Posted March 02, 2016 - 10:40 AM

I have an 04 WR is more Miles/KM than yours.  All I have done to the motor is change the oil regularly and adjust the valves.  The valves need adjustments due to the metal stretching and compressing.  Not like taffy, but in microns... These adjustments should not happen to often, because the valves are Titanium. 

If you got good power and there is no smoking or fluid leaking, just maintain it and ride it.  The motors are pretty bullet proof.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 04, 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hello!
I've been looking around for similar projects like mine but found none.

I'm sitting on a WR450f 2004 which I bought two years ago, but only ridden for about 10h tops.
Now I'm taking some of it apart, to check valves and carb. Found the valves too tight so fixing that.
What is the cause of the valves getting too tight?

I've got NO clue of the condition of the piston, which I should check - are there any symptoms of a worn piston?
How does a worn cam chain look like? To me it looks fine.

If I were to replace the whole package; piston, cam chain, could I drive this bike without worrying too much about it blowing up?

The bike has run 20.000km.
When I bought it, it started fine, great power, but got no info about piston, valves etc.

I'm not planning on pushing this bike to the limits all day long. Mostly dirt roads and maybe sumo it in the near future.

What would you do?
I'm not a pro at this, yet, as you can see.

vavles getting tight is something that happens normally, especially with 20000km.  The vavle seats will wear or the vavles will cup , forcing them higher into the head and tightening your valve clearance.     Reshim as necessary.

Any dirtbike that has lasted 20,000km already surely has proven its reliability.  A new piston would only help to continue the same type of reliability.    

regarding the timing chain, its hard to look at it.  But it should be somewhat loose and flexible.  It shouldn't kink.   If in doubt, change it.  A cam chain failure would be MAJOR.    If you are worried about it, change it.

This is a very reliable engine that is worth the investment.  be sure to inspect the crank when you take off the cylinder.   check for up down play.    Hows the main bearings?    

• beairmo

Posted March 05, 2016 - 03:56 AM

What would cause the valves to need adjustment?

Most likely the PO didn't perform air filter maintenance. KEEP THE AIR FILTER CLEAN AND OILED.

I would pull the head and do new steel valves and springs. Titanium are a waste of money. If your lucky it won't need any machining on the valve seats. You can also check out the piston and rings at this time and decide if you want to do that too.

My 09 WR450F had valves too tight and when I checked the valves were all cupped. I had no idea what I was doing but I was able to get the head pulled and to a local engine builder who did the valve install for me. Total cost was $750. Much to my surprise bike started right up when I got it back together. Just watch a lot of youtube.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.