2010 YZ450F Steering issues

7 replies to this topic
  • oneindustree

Posted February 27, 2016 - 09:03 PM

Little bit of background, I bought this bike less than a year ago. It's got Enzo suspension, springs are correct for my weight, race sag is set. I've only ridden it a handful of times but recently took it to the sand dunes. If I wasn't on untouched sand, the front tire would wiggle like the steering stem was about to fall off. I've never experienced instability like this. I aired down the front tire to 6psi, which is incredibly low, and it improved some, but I'm wondering if the handling issues are the real struggle on this bike with the weight being taken off the front wheel. Is this something I can improve with dialing in the high/low rebound and the clickers? I know I need more seat time to play with it, my question is more is the bike able to be dialed in, or are the handling issues of this year difficult to overcome without throwing some big cash at the bike?

• UncleLuke

Posted March 02, 2016 - 11:04 AM

It sounds to me like incorrect rider position/technique i.e. on squeezing tight with your knees

Did you have a friend ride it to verify that it is indeed the bike and not technique?

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2016 - 11:19 AM

Heavily tracked sand is a tough one.  The front wheel tends to follow the buried or partially buried ruts created by those who went before, which accounts for the wiggling in front.  There are two ways of dealing with that.  One is to take more weight off the front so that it floats all the way up on top as much as possible.  The downside is that the bike won't really follow its front wheel very well as it will skim across the surface instead of steering. 

The  other way is to move forward, adding weight to the front, forcing it down through into its own new rut with more tendency to cut its own path, and more responsive to the helm. 

Compared with older YZF's, the 10 and later versions were set up to turn in more aggressively on an MX course, and as a result, they do feel a little less stable in sand and so on.  It's a trade off.  Consider adding a steering damper, and if you've raised your forks, lower them back flush for riding in the dunes.

• oneindustree

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:23 PM

It sounds to me like incorrect rider position/technique i.e. on squeezing tight with your knees

Did you have a friend ride it to verify that it is indeed the bike and not technique?

My buddy also rode it and experienced the same thing. I'm completely new to MX bikes, so I'll try dialing back squeezing my knees

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oneindustree

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:25 PM

Heavily tracked sand is a tough one.  The front wheel tends to follow the buried or partially buried ruts created by those who went before, which accounts for the wiggling in front.  There are two ways of dealing with that.  One is to take more weight off the front so that it floats all the way up on top as much as possible.  The downside is that the bike won't really follow its front wheel very well as it will skim across the surface instead of steering. 

The  other way is to move forward, adding weight to the front, forcing it down through into its own new rut with more tendency to cut its own path, and more responsive to the helm. 

Compared with older YZF's, the 10 and later versions were set up to turn in more aggressively on an MX course, and as a result, they do feel a little less stable in sand and so on.  It's a trade off.  Consider adding a steering damper, and if you've raised your forks, lower them back flush for riding in the dunes.

Thanks Gray. I love the feel and look of the bike. I rode an '06 CR450F down there, and it felt nothing like my bike. Just wanted to see if others with the same bike had issues like me. I'll continue to play with it. I need to do some minor things like addding taller bars, as the stock bars sit too low for my 6'2 frame. Thanks for the input

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2016 - 08:48 PM

Thanks Gray. I love the feel and look of the bike. I rode an '06 CR450F down there, and it felt nothing like my bike. Just wanted to see if others with the same bike had issues like me. I'll continue to play with it. I need to do some minor things like addding taller bars, as the stock bars sit too low for my 6'2 frame. Thanks for the input

OEM YZ bars have always been too low for me, and I'm 5'10".  Too far back, too.  Both my son (6'3") and I like the Windham bend. 

• UncleLuke

Posted March 03, 2016 - 06:01 AM

My buddy also rode it and experienced the same thing. I'm completely new to MX bikes, so I'll try dialing back squeezing my knees

I was saying that is part you problem. I sounds like to need to squeeze the bike more with your legs\knees. It helps keep the bike stable, even in turns, pressure the top knee and foot peg. Steer with the rear.

• NW Briff

Posted March 07, 2016 - 11:28 AM

I have to agree with uncle luke. I have a 2011 yz450f no stabalizer, stock motor mounts. The bike has tbt suspension and eaton high bend bars set to the forward position on the triple clamps. You may try moving your bars to see if it helps. I ran the front tire at 8 or 10 psi. But i dont weigh much. it took me little awhile to get used to riding the bike in the sand.
Ive never really had any scary straight line stability issues on this bike they all feel a little loose in the sand but you shouldnt be experiencing head shake. i will say that the new 450s are very responsive to rider position, where you are over the seat, whether you squeeze with your knees and put pressure on the outside peg in a turn will make a huge difference. You really have to move around on this bike for different conditions. You cant be lazy on this one lol. The faster you go, the easier it is to ride.
My bike tracks great at high speed. Try Get back a little further than you normally would in the straight line stuff and squeeze that tank.
Where i had issues was trying to haul ass In the tight turns on sand trails where the front end would just push. I had best results getting up on the tank as far as you can and use that ouside peg to plant those tires, with both feet on the pegs in most situations. My buddy who is a better rider than i am couldnt keep up with me on his 08 450f in the sand trails. Give it time, you will really like the bike once you figure out how it likes to be ridden.

Edited by NW Briff, March 07, 2016 - 12:39 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.