Posted March 26, 2016 - 07:29 PM

2016 Yamaha YZ450FX full of fuel and ready to ride:

picture.php?albumid=3527&pictureid=33219

• RockerYZWR

Posted March 26, 2016 - 08:04 PM

Now THAT'S the way to do it.  Nice.

• Tillbuilt

Posted March 27, 2016 - 05:26 AM

This is why I am concerned about ready to ride weight.

2016 Yamaha YZ450FX with a 2016 full carbon fiber Yeti MX snow kit in a 120. 302 lbs.:

picture.php?albumid=3527&pictureid=33261

• motocrotts

Posted March 27, 2016 - 07:42 AM

2016 Yamaha YZ450FX full of fuel and ready to ride:

picture.php?albumid=3527&pictureid=33219

How much do the tie downs weigh?

• cowboyona426

Posted March 28, 2016 - 06:51 AM

Use some KTM tie downs to remove the bias, I'm sure the KTM ones have to be lighter.

• mobgma

Posted March 28, 2016 - 10:46 AM

At least 10 lbs lol? Another magazine said it was 255 lbs ready to ride.

• jwilson32

Posted March 28, 2016 - 07:20 PM

Your gas must weigh more where you live! Haha

• Tillbuilt

Posted March 29, 2016 - 06:28 AM

The scale was zeroed with the straps on it.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 29, 2016 - 11:02 AM

The scale was zeroed with the straps on it.

Still not good enough... I bet you have someone pushing up on the front tire.  The only way you can be considered credible is to film the whole process and post the video.  This includes filling the fuel tank.  Also, no gimmicks like putting helium in the tires to make it lighter.

(no I'm not being serious... just cracking up about all the weight concerns and giving you a bad time)

• blbills

Posted March 29, 2016 - 01:47 PM

Let's just please move on from the weight discussion. If you want to continue, open a new thread.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted March 29, 2016 - 01:56 PM

Anybody want to start a thread called "What did you do to your YZ/FX today?" This way we can talk about all the cool mods and maintenance you do to your bike.

• reedo05

Posted March 29, 2016 - 05:38 PM

Anybody want to start a thread called "What did you do to your YZ/FX today?" This way we can talk about all the cool mods and maintenance you do to your bike.

Yeah im keen. Getting sick of all the weight,width and turning posts.

• jwilson32

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:47 AM

I've had my FX for a little over a month now. I've raced it 4 times and went on a nice long weekend ride with it.... Absolutely love it except I think I may have jacked it up....

I ran in The Offroad Cup (9 hour race) last weekend. It's a 3 man team format and we would each ride 2 laps then change... Each guy rides his own bike. About 5 hours into the race one bike got a flat and the other had electrical problems so we used my bike. All 3 of us are good riders so I wasnt concerned except for at the end of the race. I noticed it was blowing a light brown/black smoke when revved.... I washed it all up yesterday and it was really low on coolant. I put about 18 oz of water in it just to see how low it was.... Is this something I should worry about? I did notice it was losing a little power later in the race. 

I fired it up after I washed it and it sounded good but still blowing a little smoke. Again, it's only when I rev it up... At idle or low speed it's ok.

• motocrotts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 05:57 AM

Where did the coolant go? Over heating? That's the big question. I'd see about pressure testing the cooling system. If no leaks, you may of overheated it and damaged the rings, but I think it would of had to get real hot to do that. 18oz of coolant is 1/2 the capacity right?

Edited by motocrotts, April 04, 2016 - 05:58 AM.

• mobgma

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:11 AM

I've had my FX for a little over a month now. I've raced it 4 times and went on a nice long weekend ride with it.... Absolutely love it except I think I may have jacked it up....

I ran in The Offroad Cup (9 hour race) last weekend. It's a 3 man team format and we would each ride 2 laps then change... Each guy rides his own bike. About 5 hours into the race one bike got a flat and the other had electrical problems so we used my bike. All 3 of us are good riders so I wasnt concerned except for at the end of the race. I noticed it was blowing a light brown/black smoke when revved.... I washed it all up yesterday and it was really low on coolant. I put about 18 oz of water in it just to see how low it was.... Is this something I should worry about? I did notice it was losing a little power later in the race. 

I fired it up after I washed it and it sounded good but still blowing a little smoke. Again, it's only when I rev it up... At idle or low speed it's ok.

The stuff of nightmares :S

Hopefully all is okay.

• jwilson32

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:07 AM

I checked the fluid when it was new and I'm 99% sure it was full. I recall it having green coolant I believe. It did get hot on me once when we got off trail and had to trail blaze a bit. I'll mess with it tonight and see if it's leaking. Think it would be a good idea to change the rings and piston now or could I get away with holding off until 50-75 hours? I've had a lot of bikes and never had this issue but you live and learn I guess.

Any other suggestions please lmk, they're much appreciated. I'll report back with what I find.

• vossman23

Posted April 06, 2016 - 12:33 PM

Interested to know what you find.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2016 - 01:46 PM

White smoke is coolant

Blue smoke is oil

Black smoke is excess fuel

If temp sensor sees high temp, it should lean out the mixture (as in high outside temp/less air density)....but if the temp goes even higher (low on coolant) it instead goes richer to prevent seizing ?

Maybe thats why you had smoke ?

Did you re-set the sensors: start it, idle it till hot, shut it off, and start it again no throttle let it idle with no throttle for a minute.

That is supposed to 're-center' the mapping swings according to Keihin (2012 info).

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2016 - 02:40 PM

White smoke is coolant

Blue smoke is oil

Black smoke is excess fuel

If temp sensor sees high temp, it should lean out the mixture (as in high outside temp/less air density)....but if the temp goes even higher (low on coolant) it instead goes richer to prevent seizing ?

Maybe thats why you had smoke ?

Most can't tell the difference between white and the so called "blue" smoke by the color.  What immediately distinguishes the two, apart from the distinctly different smell, is that coolant doesn't make smoke; it makes steam, and steam will vanish into the air, while smoke does not. Pretty much everyone has been behind enough 20 yer old Ford trucks to know what oil burning smells like.  Burning coolant has a kind of "peppery" smell reminiscent of Teflon pipe sealing compound. 

The system will only lean the mix to the point of matching up with an adequately high operating temp.  That is, it artificially richens it until the coolant reaches around 110-120, but then it goes over to the basic map and won't change it any further than that based on temps.  It will continue to make minor tweaks to the fuel delivery rates based on the Barometric Pressure sensor and the Intake Air Temp sensor, but that's just for air density corrections. 

Also running richer than normal doesn't help prevent seizures in 4T's (in fact, it works against it by diluting the oil on the cylinder walls), and running lean won't really contribute to seizures either.  That phenomena is a 2-stroke thing that goes back to the fact that the fuel is where their oil comes from.  A four-stroke will run so badly by the time it's lean enough to be dangerous that almost no one would ever ride it that way for long.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 06, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Most can't tell the difference between white and the so called "blue" smoke by the color.  What immediately distinguishes the two, apart from the distinctly different smell, is that coolant doesn't make smoke; it makes steam, and steam will vanish into the air, while smoke does not.

The system will only lean the mix to the point of matching up with an adequately high operating temp.  That is, it artificially richens it until the coolant reaches around 110-120, but then it goes over to the basic map and won't change it any further than that based on temps.   Also running richer than normal doesn't help prevent seizures in 4T's (in fact, it works against it by diluting the oil on the cylinder walls), and running lean won't really contribute to seizures either.  That phenomena is a 2-stroke thing that goes back to the fact that the fuel is where their oil comes from. 

Awesome

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.