01 wr426 intermittent spark issues

5 replies to this topic
  • hvald1

Posted February 22, 2016 - 08:18 PM

My bike has baja dual sport street kit. The AA batteries that are part of the kit have been removed. My bike has had no issues until the other day. It was running great and then it died. It had No spark so I thought it fouled the plug. I replaced spark plug the following morning and it ran good until it warmed up and died again. I pulled the plug thinking it was bad for a second time. I checked it and there was No spark. While doing some research on the internet the bike cooled. I checked spark and I got shocked. Put it back together and it ran fine. I have not let it get hot so I don't know if it will die again.

My question is does this scenario sound common? Also is there a way to check CDI, stator, and coil? Any ideas are welcome and appreciated....

Thanks in advance!!

Hec

• hvald1

Posted February 23, 2016 - 05:56 AM

Anyone???

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Sounds like your windings are going bad in the stator. Resistance gets greater as they warm up on anything wound if it's going out. That's just from a mechanical experience. You'd need a manual to verify, two tests one cold one hot and see what the difference is.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:34 PM

My bike has baja dual sport street kit. The AA batteries that are part of the kit have been removed. My bike has had no issues until the other day. It was running great and then it died. It had No spark so I thought it fouled the plug. I replaced spark plug the following morning and it ran good until it warmed up and died again. I pulled the plug thinking it was bad for a second time. I checked it and there was No spark. While doing some research on the internet the bike cooled. I checked spark and I got shocked. Put it back together and it ran fine. I have not let it get hot so I don't know if it will die again.

My question is does this scenario sound common? Also is there a way to check CDI, stator, and coil? Any ideas are welcome and appreciated....

Thanks in advance!!

Hec

download the service manual and do a stator test as listed

You undoubtedly have a failing stator, which happens on older motors.

• hvald1

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:39 PM

Thanks Men!!!! Much love, appreciate the help!!!

• hvald1

Posted February 24, 2016 - 07:45 AM

Gentleman,,,, is there a way to fix a bad stator? Who would do that work?? Ideas???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.