Yz400f questions,

3 replies to this topic
  • Buzzy613

Posted February 22, 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hi there, I've been working on this bike for a few days now and it'll have this terrible exhaust back fire hanging idle situation. I've looked at all the sticky FAQs ect, I cleaned the carb emensly, and I just checked the valve lash, the exhaust valves take the min clearance with ease and 2 of the 3 also take the minimum clearance with ease. The furthest one from the cam chain is tight, would this cause this issue? Also I took a pic of the cam but am unsure if it is auto decompression or not, I am fixing the header to silencer leak this week also just in case it is that but it seems like a valve issue

Attached Thumbnails

• 1456181913913.jpg

• 0bigsilver6

Posted February 22, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Yes that is an auto decomp exhaust cam. The timing looks ok from what I can tell from the odd angle of the picture, assuming the piston is at TDC. I'd fix the exhaust leak if you know there is one already and report back. Also, you need to figure out what the actual valve clearance is. "The minimum clearance with ease" check doesn't cut it.

Edited by 0BigBlue7, February 22, 2016 - 08:00 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Buzzy613

Posted February 23, 2016 - 02:33 AM

From cam chain to the header pipe on the intake the lash is 0.15mm - 0.13mm - and less then 0.13mm
I just checked this morning so it must have changed from having it running for 6 minutes yesterday. My bad for the miss reading

Edited by Buzzy613, February 23, 2016 - 03:11 AM.

• Buzzy613

Posted February 23, 2016 - 02:45 AM

And it would back fire like a shot gun out of the exhaust like it was loaded up with fuel after I took the plug out, kicked all the previous fuel out of the cylinder, dried the plug off, and re installed the plug, not decell pops but loud bangs when trying to start it and once it was running, it would look and snarle with little throttle movement.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.