1999 WR400F-Good Deal?

Brand Yamaha Yamaha WR400F 1999

11 replies to this topic
  • JohnClaude

Posted February 22, 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hi Guys,

I just got back from checking out a 1999 WR400F. It was registered/titled in Iowa, but hasn't been plated in CO. I'm a little concerned as to whether I would be able to plate it and ride it on the street in CO. He's asking ~$1700, but the rear brake was not actuating (he filled it with brake fluid but it wasn't working), so the price is negotiable. He just had the carb rejetted and cleaned, and a new decompression cable fitted. It will need new tires, probably new chain and sprockets and a brake lever and pads, and the plastics are faded. I had no issues starting it (just kicked it over a couple times, got it on the compression stroke and used the decomp cable to nudge it a little bit and it lit right up). That thing is fast! Coming from an 1978 XT500, it's insanely fast. I was wondering what your guys' thoughts were? Am I an idiot for not buying it on the spot?! ne_nau.gif

-John

• ftl900

Posted February 22, 2016 - 12:14 PM

I'm in Nevada and it's easy here, but from what I understand, plating a dirt bike in Colorado is pretty easy too.

All of the 400/426/450's are pretty fast unless there's something wrong with it, although "fast" is always relative to the rider.

I don't know about the price tho, I've seen several 400's and 426's cheaper than that, and it sounds like you'd be pouring money into it right away, with tires, chain, and sprockets. I suspect the rear brake piston is stuck, so it may need rebuilding, another $30 or so.  That's several hundred dollars to add on to the purchase price- putting you well over $2,000 very quickly.  Also a lot of work changing tires, sprockets, and working on brakes before you get to go riding.

Here's a local-to-me WR400 for $1300 in Vegas. That's about as cheap as it gets, and it looks pretty good.    

This bike is listed in SLC but the location shows Idaho, so who knows.  He says $1500 or best offer, which means he'd certainly take $1400 cash, and maybe even less if you started counting out Benjamins in front of him.  And it's newer and a little bigger, a WR426.  

After checking CL, it looks like prices are higher in Colorado, so the ability to road trip for a bike can save you some cash..  I saw a 426 in Denver there going for $2700-$2800, nearly twice as much as these bikes.  The Seattle market is that way too, highly inflated prices, don't really know why.  

For reference, I sold my WR400 plated and in great running shape 2 years ago for $1500.  So I'd say $1700 is an okay price for a rideable bike, but not a killer deal.

The 400's are not bad to start once you get the hang of it.   I don't think I ever kicked mine more than 2 or 3 times to start it.

Seems like the 426 got a different exhaust cam to make it easier to start.  You can put the YZF cam on either one to help with starting.

P1010438.png

2 months ago, I bought a WR450 plated for $1600.  It needed the e-starter replaced ($65), and some of the plastics updated.  

12710920_10207634491678583_6347664648399

Edited by ftl900, February 22, 2016 - 12:37 PM.

• JohnClaude

Posted February 23, 2016 - 04:06 PM

I'm in Nevada and it's easy here, but from what I understand, plating a dirt bike in Colorado is pretty easy too.

All of the 400/426/450's are pretty fast unless there's something wrong with it, although "fast" is always relative to the rider.

I don't know about the price tho, I've seen several 400's and 426's cheaper than that, and it sounds like you'd be pouring money into it right away, with tires, chain, and sprockets. I suspect the rear brake piston is stuck, so it may need rebuilding, another $30 or so.  That's several hundred dollars to add on to the purchase price- putting you well over $2,000 very quickly.  Also a lot of work changing tires, sprockets, and working on brakes before you get to go riding.

Here's a local-to-me WR400 for $1300 in Vegas. That's about as cheap as it gets, and it looks pretty good.    

This bike is listed in SLC but the location shows Idaho, so who knows.  He says $1500 or best offer, which means he'd certainly take $1400 cash, and maybe even less if you started counting out Benjamins in front of him.  And it's newer and a little bigger, a WR426.  

After checking CL, it looks like prices are higher in Colorado, so the ability to road trip for a bike can save you some cash..  I saw a 426 in Denver there going for $2700-$2800, nearly twice as much as these bikes.  The Seattle market is that way too, highly inflated prices, don't really know why.  

For reference, I sold my WR400 plated and in great running shape 2 years ago for $1500.  So I'd say $1700 is an okay price for a rideable bike, but not a killer deal.

The 400's are not bad to start once you get the hang of it.   I don't think I ever kicked mine more than 2 or 3 times to start it.

Seems like the 426 got a different exhaust cam to make it easier to start.  You can put the YZF cam on either one to help with starting.

P1010438.png

2 months ago, I bought a WR450 plated for $1600.  It needed the e-starter replaced ($65), and some of the plastics updated.  

12710920_10207634491678583_6347664648399

Thanks for the reply! I ended up offering him $1400, and he accepted. I took it to a dealer and asked them to give it a once over and check out the rear brake. The bike has a FMF exhaust on it, which is pretty nice. The plastics definitely need refreshing, but since I'm sure I'll biff it on the trails a few times while I'm getting used to the bike so I'm gonna hold off! Nice thing is that it was plated and registered in Iowa so plating in CO won't be an issue. I'm excited to do some riding!

Kicking it over wasn't bad at all-but I am coming from a 1978 XT500 that is also kickstart only, so I've got the routine down. It fired right up with one kick. The WR has so many nice features as compared to my XT500 (adjustable suspension?! outrageous!). Thanks again for the reply. I'm sure I'll have questions down the road and will post them!

• franklinmanklin

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:42 PM

I bought a 1999 for $1150. Needs a clutch cable and carb rebuild.

• ftl900

Posted February 24, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the reply! I ended up offering him $1400, and he accepted. I took it to a dealer and asked them to give it a once over and check out the rear brake. The bike has a FMF exhaust on it, which is pretty nice. The plastics definitely need refreshing, but since I'm sure I'll biff it on the trails a few times while I'm getting used to the bike so I'm gonna hold off! Nice thing is that it was plated and registered in Iowa so plating in CO won't be an issue. I'm excited to do some riding!

Kicking it over wasn't bad at all-but I am coming from a 1978 XT500 that is also kickstart only, so I've got the routine down. It fired right up with one kick. The WR has so many nice features as compared to my XT500 (adjustable suspension?! outrageous!). Thanks again for the reply. I'm sure I'll have questions down the road and will post them!

That's a much better deal at $1400, now you can use the extra cash for the tires and stuff.  

BTW, your profile says IOWA...? 

I bought a 1999 for $1150. Needs a clutch cable and carb rebuild.

That's a killer deal...location?   It's funny how bike prices change so much depending on where you're located.   Post some pictures of it!!

• JohnClaude

Posted February 24, 2016 - 09:07 AM

That's a much better deal at $1400, now you can use the extra cash for the tires and stuff.  

BTW, your profile says IOWA...? 

That's a killer deal...location?   It's funny how bike prices change so much depending on where you're located.   Post some pictures of it!!

Must have been a while since I updated my profile, changed it to CO. Thanks for the heads up. I probably could have gotten it for cheaper, he accepted the $1400 with no counter-offer! Oh well, negotiations can be tricky. I'll post some pics when I get it back from the dealer also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • franklinmanklin

Posted February 24, 2016 - 06:21 PM

Michigan. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1456366903.674883.jpg

• elrontx

Posted February 25, 2016 - 08:15 PM

Congrats on the bike, I have the same one and had a rear brake issue as well. I got a master cylinder rebuild kit on rockymountain and the problem was solved. It's an easy job as well and I'm a terrible mechanic. Just make sure you do a through bleed on the rear brake.

• ftl900

Posted February 26, 2016 - 08:02 AM

For $17, this is the best thing Iv'e found for brake bleeding.   You can hook it up at the brake caliper and pump new fluid upwards, which is where air bubbles naturally want to go anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/...3451274?vxp=mtr

• JohnClaude

Posted February 26, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Here's a picture of the beast. Just needed new brake pads and a thorough bleeding of the rear brakes. Gonna take it on some trails tomorrow hopefully!

IMG_1129_zpsp0rjfeqh.jpg

• elrontx

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:09 PM

Nice bike,congrats.

• JohnClaude

Posted February 28, 2016 - 05:29 PM

Nice bike,congrats.

Thanks, man. Gonna take it on some trails tomorrow hopefully!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2014 YZ250F Electrical problems.. Stumped. by jase12

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

If not a YZ, then what...? by rpt50

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  45 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Cracked CrankCase Cover & more--- 2005 xt225 by Hjmaggio

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha Dual-Sport
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo

2002 YZ250 Non-exsistant Neutral by danzeman0

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 13 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.