Cam shaft question

4 replies to this topic
  • A.Sailer95

Posted February 21, 2016 - 07:46 PM

So I just rebuilt the top end of my 06 yz450f and fired it up and it ran for about 10 min then died so I pulled it apart again and the timing chain had a kink in it that I ended up being able to fix just by pressing on it with my hands. But now I'm putting it back together again and noticed that the lobes on the exhaust cam are way out of whack because usually when it's at tdc and timing is correct the lobes should be pointing outwards but I got the marks lined up but both the intake and exhaust lobes are pointing the same way. So clearly I need new camshafts now but my question is how did they get like that, and what else needs to be fixed/replaced so that it doesn't just happen again?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1456112772.605950.jpg

• Stevemeist

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:07 PM

If your timing chain is kinking you really need to replace it! I just rebuilt one for a buddy his chain kept slipping teeth because it was worn and stretched. Looks to me like same is happening to you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • A.Sailer95

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:18 PM

If your timing chain is kinking you really need to replace it! I just rebuilt one for a buddy his chain kept slipping teeth because it was worn and stretched. Looks to me like same is happening to you.

Thanks! Any idea how the lobes would get shifted like that?

• Stevemeist

Posted February 21, 2016 - 10:36 PM

Your exhaust cam was the one that turned while the chain slipped on the intake cam. That's why it's out of time and why it won't run now.

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2016 - 07:39 AM

The sprockets are pressed on.  They very rarely slip, and almost never that much.  Usually see this sort of thing when a camshaft seizes to the head.  Any evidence of damage to the cam bearing areas? 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.