Who has ridden a ktm350?

28 replies to this topic
  • Kelso1

Posted February 21, 2016 - 05:03 PM

I currently have a 2015 ktm350 sxf. I love the motor and electric start but am at ends with the 4cs fork. It's sprung and revalved for my weight, and it's way better than stock but....today I rode a friends 16 yz250 smoker and the suspension was better in stock form than my current setup. I have been looking at the 16 yz450. Anyone here ridden both the 350 and a 14-16 yz450? I would like to know how the handling compares. Thanks for any info

• Jaslater

Posted February 21, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Monk has ask him.

• rr558

Posted February 25, 2016 - 02:16 PM

I currently have a 2015 ktm350 sxf. I love the motor and electric start but am at ends with the 4cs fork. It's sprung and revalved for my weight, and it's way better than stock but....today I rode a friends 16 yz250 smoker and the suspension was better in stock form than my current setup. I have been looking at the 16 yz450. Anyone here ridden both the 350 and a 14-16 yz450? I would like to know how the handling compares. Thanks for any info

I've ridden a 16 350 and currently own a 14 yz450 and I'll take the 350 over the Yamaha 450 any day. The 350 feels like it's 20 lbs light and turns like a dream not to mention the brakes are awesome. I could really care less about e=start though. I know the suspension is better on Blue but that's an easy fix. 

• Monk

Posted February 25, 2016 - 02:41 PM

The 350 does virtually everything better then a a YZF...other then straight out torque and a better starting point for suspension on the Yamaha, the 350 kills!

• Kelso1

Posted February 25, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to keep the 350. I am going to try out a difference suspension company and have it converted to a twin chamber design with compression adjusters on the bottom.

• Wiz636

Posted February 25, 2016 - 08:33 PM

The 350 does virtually everything better then a a YZF...other then straight out torque and a better starting point for suspension on the Yamaha, the 350 kills!

Are you talking about woods? Desert? Moto? Everything?

I've ridden a 350XCF-W and was bored riding it. It was a good bike and could be ridden fast I guess...but it was just boring. That said, I have not ridden an XC or SX.

• Monk

Posted February 25, 2016 - 08:39 PM

I've ridden a 350XCF-W and was bored riding it. It was a good bike and could be ridden fast I guess...but it was just boring. That said, I have not ridden an XC or SX.

Big difference between the two...

• tmav66

Posted February 25, 2016 - 10:46 PM

I very much agree, I rode my buddies while it felt nice something about just reminded me of my old klx 300 I had way way back in the day......boring

• nester

Posted February 26, 2016 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to keep the 350. I am going to try out a difference suspension company and have it converted to a twin chamber design with compression adjusters on the bottom.

Here Ping gives some good setup advise on the 350 suspension:

http://racerxonline....016-ktm-sxf-350

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Details of how to modify the 350 are not really the topic of the discussion.  The question is how the bike compares with the YZ450F.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted February 26, 2016 - 08:16 AM

The 2015 350 KTM I am acquainted with has a missing bottom end torque issue. It is now a bored 380cc or so and does much better. But still lacks in the highly technical stuff.

• jwilson32

Posted February 26, 2016 - 09:31 AM

I've owned a 12' 350 SXF and currently have a 15' 350 SXF. I mainly race hare scrambles in MO which is tight, rocky, rooty single track and occasionally a GNCC. I liked the handling of the 15' much better than the 12' due to the longer shock but still can't come to terms with the suspension. I initially had a guy put in the RT (Race Tech) base valves, revalve it for my ability/terrain and sprung it for my weight. It was much better than stock, but still not real compliant in the first/second gear rocky sections. I thought I would do the RT "works" so I had him put in the Gold Valves, cross hatch it, etc.... I honestly thought it felt as good if not better before going with the works and spending $750+...

I'm picking up a new 450FX today and can't wait to ride it! There's a lot I really like about the KTM, but just can't get along with the suspension so I thought I'd give the FX a try. I'll report on my ride and the differences on Monday.

• Kelso1

Posted February 27, 2016 - 04:55 PM

I've owned a 12' 350 SXF and currently have a 15' 350 SXF. I mainly race hare scrambles in MO which is tight, rocky, rooty single track and occasionally a GNCC. I liked the handling of the 15' much better than the 12' due to the longer shock but still can't come to terms with the suspension. I initially had a guy put in the RT (Race Tech) base valves, revalve it for my ability/terrain and sprung it for my weight. It was much better than stock, but still not real compliant in the first/second gear rocky sections. I thought I would do the RT "works" so I had him put in the Gold Valves, cross hatch it, etc.... I honestly thought it felt as good if not better before going with the works and spending $750+...

I'm picking up a new 450FX today and can't wait to ride it! There's a lot I really like about the KTM, but just can't get along with the suspension so I thought I'd give the FX a try. I'll report on my ride and the differences on Monday.

Awesome can't wait to hear the report. I'm getting base valves installed on Monday. I'm going to give it another shot before I give up on it.

• rr558

Posted March 26, 2016 - 06:39 PM

Details of how to modify the 350 are not really the topic of the discussion.  The question is how the bike compares with the YZ450F.

ok we'll it's better in almost every way . Does that work for you ?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 26, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Updates ?

• Kelso1

Posted March 27, 2016 - 10:30 AM

Updates ?

I decided to hang on to the bike. Had the forks redone by mb1 and did the old style twin chamber mod so the rebound is on top and added compression adjusters on bottom. Have only ridden in an old style moto race so no real jumps or rough sections to test it out yet.

• JakeTheGreat

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:04 AM

I've owned a 12' 350 SXF and currently have a 15' 350 SXF. I mainly race hare scrambles in MO which is tight, rocky, rooty single track and occasionally a GNCC. I liked the handling of the 15' much better than the 12' due to the longer shock but still can't come to terms with the suspension. I initially had a guy put in the RT (Race Tech) base valves, revalve it for my ability/terrain and sprung it for my weight. It was much better than stock, but still not real compliant in the first/second gear rocky sections. I thought I would do the RT "works" so I had him put in the Gold Valves, cross hatch it, etc.... I honestly thought it felt as good if not better before going with the works and spending $750+...

I'm picking up a new 450FX today and can't wait to ride it! There's a lot I really like about the KTM, but just can't get along with the suspension so I thought I'd give the FX a try. I'll report on my ride and the differences on Monday.

Update??

• motocrotts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 10:56 AM

I decided to hang on to the bike. Had the forks redone by mb1 and did the old style twin chamber mod so the rebound is on top and added compression adjusters on bottom. Have only ridden in an old style moto race so no real jumps or rough sections to test it out yet.

You mean the old style open cartridge mod.  The twin chambers are a bladder fork.  So you converted them to a 15 year old design.  Hope it works for you.  After 25 different KTM's I stepped away, due to their F'd up suspension, premium price, lousy quality and leaving me as the R&D department.  The 4CS debacle was the straw that did me in.  Now their stopping production on the 4CS and screwing all of us who have them for new AER forks.  Now you're at the mercy of suspension tuners.  No more development from the factory.

• Kelso1

Posted April 07, 2016 - 04:40 AM

You mean the old style open cartridge mod. The twin chambers are a bladder fork. So you converted them to a 15 year old design. Hope it works for you. After 25 different KTM's I stepped away, due to their F'd up suspension, premium price, lousy quality and leaving me as the R&D department. The 4CS debacle was the straw that did me in. Now their stopping production on the 4CS and screwing all of us who have them for new AER forks. Now you're at the mercy of suspension tuners. No more development from the factory.

I did not do the sss mod and make it open chamber. It's still a twin chamber, added base adjusters and a machined base valve the Kevin makes. Either way, that 15 year old design is proven so if the shoe fits....

• JakeTheGreat

Posted April 07, 2016 - 02:36 PM

I got the same setup as you Kelso, not from MB1 though... It's alright, always feel it could be better, but then again thats with everything I do. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.