2016 YZ450FX questions

53 replies to this topic
  • BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:00 AM

Does the FX have a coolant reservoir in the rear like a WR? If not can it be simply added?

No reservoir and I'm sure you could add one. I don't see a need. It has the wr fan mount.

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:01 AM

I heard the FX is awesome as a snowbike but people have heard people complain about one thing. Starting it in gear. Sometimes when snow biking you can stall it or whatever being in weird off camber hills or difficult terrain or deep snow where the shifter is maybe piled up with snow. I have heard that the bike likes to only start in neutral despite revving it a little while in gear.I have also heard you can fix the issue with starting the bike in gear.

I have had no problem starting in gear.

• KennyMc

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:37 AM

Does the WR not have a recovery tank anymore?

• Darvo

Posted March 07, 2016 - 03:27 PM

My FX starts in 1st or 2nd gear no problem do it all the time and comes in handy when your in situations like this

Are the YZF shrouds a direct bolt on replacement on the YZFX?

• carlt828

Posted March 07, 2016 - 05:41 PM

I used the Tusk wiring harness when I plated my '06 WR450F and it worked great. In Texas turn signals aren't required unless they came from the factory with them. My WR doesn't see much street life so I didn't bother with them. I go old school when it's needed.

• vossman23

Posted March 08, 2016 - 05:23 PM

My FX starts in 1st or 2nd gear no problem do it all the time and comes in handy when your in situations like this

Man that looks like fun. Bike looks good too.

• mobgma

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Are the YZF shrouds a direct bolt on replacement on the YZFX?

Curious to know this also.

• Macsplace

Posted March 14, 2016 - 11:21 AM

Yep, the shrouds are a direct bolt on.

Edited by Macsplace, March 14, 2016 - 11:24 AM.

• mobgma

Posted March 14, 2016 - 06:25 PM

Yep, the shrouds are a direct bolt on.

Then why would they make complete separate shrouds? You would think for cost savings they would have used the same plastic...

Does that mean we can buy 2016 YZ450F Graphics kits?

• Macsplace

Posted March 14, 2016 - 07:02 PM

Then why would they make complete separate shrouds? You would think for cost savings they would have used the same plastic...

The 2016 YZFX and WR share the same shrouds with exception to the graphics printed on them and the part numbers. Yamaha put different shrouds "which are a little longer towards the front" on these 2 bikes for better cooling in slower riding/racing conditions. Yes you can put YZ graphics and shrouds on the YZFX or WR but don't think that YZ graphics would work very good on the stock YZFX shrouds. I put YZ plastic and graphics on my 16WR and really like the look.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NW_drZ

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:07 PM

The YZF shrouds will work on the FX no problem. Have them on mine currently (came with the bike as an extra set). My FX shrouds are hanging in the shop nice and pretty.

FX with F shrouds...

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458018405.006132.jpg

• mobgma

Posted March 14, 2016 - 09:32 PM

The YZF shrouds will work on the FX no problem. Have them on mine currently (came with the bike as an extra set). My FX shrouds are hanging in the shop nice and pretty.

FX with F shrouds...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458018405.006132.jpg

Nice. So is anything else diff? i heard the rear fender. I ask because I am trying to buy a decal kit but nobody makes any for the FX. Only the F. Was thinking up changing plastics rad shrouds.

• blbills

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Nice. So is anything else diff? i heard the rear fender. I ask because I am trying to buy a decal kit but nobody makes any for the FX. Only the F. Was thinking up changing plastics rad shrouds.

I heard that the rear fender is off a WR.  I looked closely at mine and it looks like there are mounting points beneath to mount a tail light.  

I also find it interesting to know that YZ shrouds fit the front as I read on several online reviews that the shrouds are a bit longer to help with cooling.  Obviously that's not the case if people are mounting the YZ shrouds with success.

• drtrcr400

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:23 AM

I heard that the rear fender is off a WR. I looked closely at mine and it looks like there are mounting points beneath to mount a tail light.

I also find it interesting to know that YZ shrouds fit the front as I read on several online reviews that the shrouds are a bit longer to help with cooling. Obviously that's not the case if people are mounting the YZ shrouds with success.

Just because the shrouds are longer doesn't mean the mounting points have changed.

• mobgma

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:34 AM

FX with F shrouds...

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458018405.006132.jpg

What pipe is that? Man that thing is TUCKED away. I like it! Did you get the header also?

Edited by mobgma, March 15, 2016 - 06:39 AM.

• NW_drZ

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:57 AM

What pipe is that? Man that thing is TUCKED away. I like it! Did you get the header also?

That is a Dr.D ns-4 slip on.. The rear fender is different between the FX and F. The FX rear has mounting tabs for the battery. Acerbis just released their version of the rear fender for the FX, which is cheaper than oem. The shroud length between my FX and F shrouds are exactly the same. However, I did notice when I saw the 450fx at the shop a few days ago that their shrouds where contoured a touch different than my 15' shrouds on the front edge that lines the radiator. Not enough though to make me think they wouldn't be interchangeable with the F. Maybe it's just 16' to 15' difference. Not sure

Better pic of the pipe. And yes, she is nicely tucked away!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458053863.267313.jpg

• keeseckb

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:35 AM

Decal Works has graphics for the 450fx.

• mobgma

Posted March 15, 2016 - 12:57 PM

That is a Dr.D ns-4 slip on.. The rear fender is different between the FX and F. The FX rear has mounting tabs for the battery. Acerbis just released their version of the rear fender for the FX, which is cheaper than oem. The shroud length between my FX and F shrouds are exactly the same. However, I did notice when I saw the 450fx at the shop a few days ago that their shrouds where contoured a touch different than my 15' shrouds on the front edge that lines the radiator. Not enough though to make me think they wouldn't be interchangeable with the F. Maybe it's just 16' to 15' difference. Not sure

Better pic of the pipe. And yes, she is nicely tucked away!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458053863.267313.jpg

Did you get the DR D Header?

• NW_drZ

Posted March 15, 2016 - 01:05 PM

Did you get the DR D Header?

No, didn't think it was necessary.  The F / FX header pipe is already pretty big.  Needed the sparky and have always had good experiences with Dr. D.  

• weekend woods racer

Posted March 15, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Do the rims come black, stock ?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.