1999 WR400 Bog n Rev Limiter

10 replies to this topic
  • franklinmanklin

Posted February 18, 2016 - 05:57 PM

I just bought this bike. It appears to be in great shape. I had the same bike about 13 years ago. I was bikeless for a while. Then I had an ultra slow, heavily modded '09 KLR. It never made me smile so I launched it.

I have done nothing to this bike yet. It needs the air filter cleaned, maybe a new spark plug and some tune ups including the bog sticky among other things such as a clutch cable. Granted it warmed up to 31 degrees so maybe everything was tight. Oh, the gas isn't fresh smelling either.

I don't know the rpms but it wasn't ripping like it should. I'm far from a technical motor guy but have friends that are. Any suggestions besides what I've mentioned here?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:43 AM

Drain the gas, pull the tank and flush it, and inspect the filter, pull the carb, service it per the link, dismantle the steer head and linkgage and service per manual, clean all electrical junctions, and upgrade the carb internals with new ones (needle jet, apump diaphram, slide plate seal, R&D fuel screw) put in a new plug, and change all the fluids.

http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

• franklinmanklin

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Thanks! Out of pocket cost estimate?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:24 PM

Thanks! Out of pocket cost estimate?

$50

• franklinmanklin

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:34 PM

Carb cleaning seems straightforward. Time allowing, I'll post results. Thank you!

Best place for replacement parts?

What about throttle stop? ...or one thing at a time?

Edited by franklinmanklin, February 19, 2016 - 05:36 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Carb cleaning seems straightforward. Time allowing, I'll post results. Thank you!

Best place for replacement parts?

What about throttle stop? ...or one thing at a time?

You don't have a throttle stop.

Remember, you have a 16 year old carb. Every moving part and every seal will be worn to worn out to some degree.

Until you deal with that, it  will never run well.

Read the link I posted.

• franklinmanklin

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Read the link I posted.

I did on my phone. Perhaps I misunderstood or missed that part. I'll double check.

• franklinmanklin

Posted February 23, 2016 - 04:38 AM

I have been searching online for a good place to buy parts.  I don't have a manual yet.  Do the parts explosions come from online or in a book?  FrankMXParts seems different but they are in Europe I think.  Is there a local company like them where I can buy individual parts?  Rocky Mountain isn't very easy to navigate.  Getting frustrated.  If I know the OEM part number I can search for it but I don't know where to find that information to begin with. 

• BarterFreak- 116

Posted February 23, 2016 - 04:56 AM

I have been searching online for a good place to buy parts. I don't have a manual yet. Do the parts explosions come from online or in a book? FrankMXParts seems different but they are in Europe I think. Is there a local company like them where I can buy individual parts? Rocky Mountain isn't very easy to navigate. Getting frustrated. If I know the OEM part number I can search for it but I don't know where to find that information to begin with.

look it up on www.babbittsonline.com . great place to look for part numbers

Edited by BarterFreak- 116, February 23, 2016 - 04:59 AM.

• BarterFreak- 116

Posted February 23, 2016 - 04:59 AM

http://www.babbittso...e405/carburetor

• BarterFreak- 116

Posted February 23, 2016 - 05:00 AM

Look up what part number you need and search around for the cheapest price

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.