Backfire screen?

4 replies to this topic
  • TN Dirt Rider

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:24 PM

Anybody removing the backfire screen on their bike? Pulled my air filter on my "new to me" '14 and saw the screen. Seen plenty of mentions in mag articles about removing the screens on various bikes, just don't know about doing it on the Yamaha.

• Monk

Posted February 18, 2016 - 12:31 PM

Just leave it in...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2016 - 03:38 PM

I haven't seen anything definitive about the forward-facing intake setups, but I have on the earlier bikes, and the verdict by dyno test was that the presence or absence of the flash screen makes no difference whatsoever in terms of power or performance.  None.  This is because it is less restrictive than you think, in the first place, and far less so than the air filter itself.  

So, as long as you are running an air filter, the screen is insignificant.  The downside of having your filter oil set on fire, small as the chances may be, not so much. 

Leave it. 

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted February 18, 2016 - 03:52 PM

Cool, thanks!

• mikedabike

Posted February 20, 2016 - 01:07 PM

I ride alot of supermoto. Guys remove them trying to get that little extra. I have seen 3 bikes catch fire from not running the screens. All three were crashed and upon trying to restart backfired and caught fire. One was a 20k+ ex factory bike. I leave mine in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.