Do you like the 09 yz450f?

21 replies to this topic
  • Woodsweapon350

Posted February 15, 2016 - 12:30 PM

I am a woods guy but I have been thinking about picking up an older 450 to ride some moto every now and then. What is the general consensus of the 09, or even that whole generation of 450s?

• stevethe

Posted February 15, 2016 - 12:36 PM

They are a good reliable bike. Put a pro Moto billet end cap on it and let it rip.

Edited by stevethe, February 15, 2016 - 12:37 PM.

• rhinoracin

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:46 PM

With only a few mods, this bike is awesome, especially for a do-it-all machine. The 09 has some nice advantages...suspension, one of the most reliable bikes ever, quality, beefy parts like the bigger axles, very easy to work on (I jetted mine without even moving the carburetor), one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever ridden, and fairly light for a 450. With DRD exhaust, heavier flywheel, 06 cdi, taller handlebars, and basic protection (hand guards/skid plate), this bike is great for woods and track use. Very usable and fun to ride. Only other thing this bike could use for trails is WR gears.

• Rockyzf450

Posted February 16, 2016 - 02:52 AM

I bought a used 09 450.  Love it. heavier flywheel gives it more usable power in the woods and not screaming out of a corner. The bike feels nimble and very reliable. You can't go wrong with a YZ

• tmeyer37

Posted February 16, 2016 - 08:23 AM

I am a woods guy but I have been thinking about picking up an older 450 to ride some moto every now and then. What is the general consensus of the 09, or even that whole generation of 450s?

I have an 06 which is essentially the same, I love it. Its been the perfect bike for me, It is set up for the woods with a rekluse, heaver flywheel, WR Tank, hand guards, 18 inch rear wheel. I rarely ride it on the track but when I do it still performs great, at this point I can say this is the best bike I have ever owned and I have had pretty much every color of the rainbow except for orange. 

• vossman23

Posted February 16, 2016 - 04:03 PM

They are a good reliable bike. Put a pro Moto billet end cap on it and let it rip.

This! Mine is pretty much stock and it rips but also works great on our fire roads and trails out here.

• racer8

Posted February 16, 2016 - 05:34 PM

My 09 does great in woods,trails and the MX track!
Added a 9 oz fly wheel, bar risers, 06 cdi and complete oem 06 exhaust.

• mikedabike

Posted February 21, 2016 - 07:05 AM

The 09 is a great bike but the handling is a bit lazy. If strictly MX have you thought about a 250f?

• craig2369

Posted February 21, 2016 - 06:53 PM

After reading all these good replies i have an 07 yz450f really love bike i have it set up for woods also but runs very hot usally 210-250 thats the highest ive seen just depends how fast im goin and outside temp does all ur guys run that hot

• tmeyer37

Posted February 23, 2016 - 11:19 AM

After reading all these good replies i have an 07 yz450f really love bike i have it set up for woods also but runs very hot usally 210-250 thats the highest ive seen just depends how fast im goin and outside temp does all ur guys run that hot

I have never checked the temp but yes in slow single track my 06 does get pretty warm. That just tells me that I am going to slow, pick up the pace and it cools back down  :rolleyes:

Edited by tmeyer37, February 23, 2016 - 11:19 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • craig2369

Posted February 23, 2016 - 11:20 AM

i hear ya thats wat motivates me to go faster lol

• tmeyer37

Posted February 23, 2016 - 11:34 AM

i hear ya thats wat motivates me to go faster lol

Really need to figure out how to not burn my pants on the power bomb header as well. 

• craig2369

Posted February 23, 2016 - 11:43 AM

Never had that trouble but i have the exhaust wrap on mine that could help

• Navaho6

Posted February 23, 2016 - 01:52 PM

I bought a 2009 from a friend who had it set up really good for woods.  It took some $ to get it right but it is a fine trail bike, best I've ever ridden.  The only thing I miss is electric start but it starts easy, hot or cold.  With a full tank of gas it weighs 250 lbs loaded with everything you could want on a woods bike.  

Mods include radiator guards, hand guards, kickstand, coolant catch bottle, alum. skidplate, 18" rear wheel, heavy flywheel weight, o-ring chain, 18" rear wheel, Factory Connection revalve, Boyesen Supercooler oversized water pump, Scotts steering damper, and most importantly a Rekluse Core Exp 3.0 autoclutch.  The autoclutch really helps tame the beast.  I still use the clutch lever a lot so I installed a Motion Pro T3 Slidelight clutch cable which lightened the pull a considerable amount.  The Rekluse prevents stalling which was a problem without it.

The bike has never overheated on me but I keep it moving.  I think the oversize water pump helps. I occasionally boiled the gas but installed a heat shield under the tank and that cured it. 

Edited by Navaho6, February 23, 2016 - 01:52 PM.

• craig2369

Posted February 23, 2016 - 02:05 PM

Sounds good man, i have the super cooler pump also and the temp stickers and then a tempurature radiator cap and its nt uncommon to see 240 to 250 degrees on an 75 to 80 degree day

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 24, 2016 - 08:04 PM

I bought a 2009 from a friend who had it set up really good for woods. It took some $ to get it right but it is a fine trail bike, best I've ever ridden. The only thing I miss is electric start but it starts easy, hot or cold. With a full tank of gas it weighs 250 lbs loaded with everything you could want on a woods bike.

Mods include radiator guards, hand guards, kickstand, coolant catch bottle, alum. skidplate, 18" rear wheel, heavy flywheel weight, o-ring chain, 18" rear wheel, Factory Connection revalve, Boyesen Supercooler oversized water pump, Scotts steering damper, and most importantly a Rekluse Core Exp 3.0 autoclutch. The autoclutch really helps tame the beast. I still use the clutch lever a lot so I installed a Motion Pro T3 Slidelight clutch cable which lightened the pull a considerable amount. The Rekluse prevents stalling which was a problem without it.

The bike has never overheated on me but I keep it moving. I think the oversize water pump helps. I occasionally boiled the gas but installed a heat shield under the tank and that cured it.

I was there in NM right after he picked up that bike - he got a good deal on that very clean '09 - haven't talked to him in awhile, though. But that bike is at least part of the reason I'm seriously considering a move from my '11 WR to a woods set up '08 YZ450. Electric start sure is nice sometimes, but not a show-stopper for me.

• tmav66

Posted February 25, 2016 - 05:41 AM

Love my '09

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2016 - 09:42 AM

The '09 is deservedly considered the best of the Gen2 YZ450F models.  The only reason to select an earlier one would be if there were concerns about wheel interchangeability with other older YZ's or a WR that you might already own.

• tmav66

Posted February 25, 2016 - 10:31 AM

The '09 is deservedly considered the best of the Gen2 YZ450F models.  The only reason to select an earlier one would be if there were concerns about wheel interchangeability with other older YZ's or a WR that you might already own.

Gray would this work? I have a 07 wheel I'd like to make work on my 09?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.png

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2016 - 01:46 PM

I wouldn't do it, no. 

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.