YZ426 - Price and info

4 replies to this topic
  • Jetski_to_Dbike

Posted March 10, 2002 - 01:06 PM

Newbie question: please help. I am converting from Stand-up jet ski's to a real sport (Dirt Bikes). I *think* I want the YZ426, but would really appreciate any suggestions on best bike to purchase, and how much I should pay (for a new YZ426F - out the door). Thanks for any opinions. Rob in Arizona

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 10, 2002 - 01:32 PM

Seeing as that you have not mention the going prices in and around your area, I assume you have not done the basic thing and see what they are going for in you local dealer. Her In Northern CA it is about a 4 - 6 week wait on a new 2002. Price is what they ask and nothing less, no deals no dickering, no bartering. The 250f is going for 5299.00 and the 426 is 5999.00 add 8.25% and ya got your price. Now if you want to argue price go buy a Cannondale they will pretty much pay you to buy one......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeOK

Posted March 10, 2002 - 02:39 PM

Tell us more, what kind of riding do you expect to do? The prices vary more than you would think depending on where you are. The CA boys seem to pay way more, here in the midwest we pay less. Probably has something to do with the cost of living or something, I don't know. You can buy one from a distance but sometimes it's better to pay more just to have the backing of a local dealer (note I said sometimes). The YZ426F is a great bike for racing or really hammering, but not so good as a play bike. There are much better play bikes. There are even much better trail bikes.

• Jetski_to_Dbike

Posted March 10, 2002 - 03:13 PM

More info: I would like a bike I will grow into, not one I will grow out of. I have no plans to race, and will primarily be riding on trails. So the bike will be a play/trail bike. I am also considering the Honda XR400, but am afraid I may get bored with the bike and want more power and a better suspension.

• therapture

Posted March 10, 2002 - 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Jetski_to_Dbike:
More info: I would like a bike I will grow into, not one I will grow out of. I have no plans to race, and will primarily be riding on trails. So the bike will be a play/trail bike. I am also considering the Honda XR400, but am afraid I may get bored with the bike and want more power and a better suspension.

If you are going to ride only trails, no MX, then there are better bikes than the YZ426. If you want to ride on offroad trails, you are probably going to *need* to spend some money on suspension revalving and a flywheel weight, not to mention a lighting kit if you are going to do any night riding! The WR426 has better gearing and is castrated a bit on the power department (easily fixed), and has lights!

But in all honesty, there are better "trails bikes" that you won't outgrow soon, especially considering your skill level. KTM comes to mind, as does Suzuki's (gasp!) DR400.

Basically, the YZ426 is all motocrosser, and has suspension and motor to match that philosophy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.