Working the clutch... How much?

4 replies to this topic
  • Ronnie.sensiba

Posted February 12, 2016 - 11:38 PM

I'm not a very advanced rider but I'm trying to improve. When ever I feel my engine start to chatter I just drop a gear and wind it out. I rarely use the clutch on my 450.

A lot of times my friends are telling me about how they are in 2nd and third in the tight stuff and I'll be in 1st and sometimes second. (Most of them are on 250s).

My question is should I be riding a gear higher and modulating the clutch to keep the RPMs in a good spot? Is this going to smooth out my riding and help find traction to climb hills or should I just be in s lower gear only using throttle.

I know this is quite common with 2strokes but to be honest I've barely spent any time on one and not sure if this tactics is used on a powerful and torquey 4t.

Thanks

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 13, 2016 - 04:30 AM

Maybe - get out there and try it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 13, 2016 - 05:22 AM

More seat time

Experiment

The clutch is your friend

Modulation is the key to continous traction, hence the AutoClutch like Rekluse

• Nuklhed

Posted February 13, 2016 - 06:32 AM

Use that clutch!  It can smooth out rough spots, keep you from stalling, allow you to slow/balance while keeping RPM up, slow down before approaching an obstacle and then giving a burst of power to launch over.

Made a huge difference in my riding when I bought a trials bike last year and learned what the clutch is for!  Use your clutch, Sir!

• stevethe

Posted February 13, 2016 - 07:06 AM

All of the above advice is very good. I am a heavy clutch user but not a abuser. My 07 has seen one new set of steel and fibers. However four or five clutch cables.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.