2008 YZ450F.........to fix, or not to fix!

9 replies to this topic
  • Treeyz450

Posted February 12, 2016 - 08:50 AM

Ok, I have a 2008 YZ450F that I love, but, I had a catastrophic failure last week and lost a few valves. I just want your opinion on what you would do if it were your bike. I can do all the work myself as I am pretty mechanically inclined when it comes to these bikes. I'm just having a hard time spending 50% of what the bike is worth fixing it........

Here is the bike and the damage.......

It has brand new tires, suspension set for me, exhaust, and lower end which all has a few hours on it.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455295634.939451.jpg

Ok, so basically, the bike needs a new head, valve assembly, cams, etc.
it also needs a new cylinder and piston.
Which will all cost between $1600-1800.

So, my question to you is this.................fix an old bike, or wait and go get a newer one........money is somewhat of an issue.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

I also might add that it's pretty important that I have a bike because my 10yr old son is starting to race the MX and off road series here in MO.

Edited by Treeyz450, February 12, 2016 - 08:54 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2016 - 09:28 AM

On the plus side, there are two or three very reputable outfits that can fix cylinder heads that look like they sat on an IED for less than half the price of a new blank head, so that would reduce it by about $3-400,  On the negative, if the piston slammed valve chunks into the head, you should either have the crank very carefully inspected, or just replace it outright, so it's kind of a wash.

An alternative is to go find another YZ450 in running condition and use your old stuff on it or sell your original as is to defray the cost.

• Treeyz450

Posted February 12, 2016 - 10:10 AM

On the plus side, there are two or three very reputable outfits that can fix cylinder heads that look like they sat on an IED for less than half the price of a new blank head, so that would reduce it by about $3-400, On the negative, if the piston slammed valve chunks into the head, you should either have the crank very carefully inspected, or just replace it outright, so it's kind of a wash.

An alternative is to go find another YZ450 in running condition and use your old stuff on it or sell your original as is to defray the cost.

I hear that. I have a buddy who just broke his femur at the track, and has the same year bike with 4 sets of plastic, dr d exhaust, rekluse, and lots of other goodies, I would love to have , I just don't have the extra $$$$ laying around right now.

Are the 06-09's pretty much the same bikes minus a few small details?
I know the cams and CDI Are different, just so I know what to look for?

• Treeyz450

Posted February 12, 2016 - 10:12 AM

On the plus side, there are two or three very reputable outfits that can fix cylinder heads that look like they sat on an IED for less than half the price of a new blank head, so that would reduce it by about $3-400, On the negative, if the piston slammed valve chunks into the head, you should either have the crank very carefully inspected, or just replace it outright, so it's kind of a wash.

Also, I got a rough estimate from edco, and they were at $850 without valve assembly.

I can get the GTYR ported head for $1295 which is a complete head with valves and cams ready to bolt on.

I am trying to sell my 02 CBR 954 RR to recoup some cash..........

Edited by Treeyz450, February 12, 2016 - 10:13 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2016 - 10:56 AM

The '06 through '09 are mostly identical and interchangeable except for three things:

The front brake (everything but the rotor) from '08 onward uses a different master cylinder, brake lever, and caliper, and to accommodate this, the mounts on the fork lugs are different.

The "fat end" of the '08 and onward front axle is smaller, so the fork is different.  All four models use the same front wheel, though, just the axle is different.

The '09 uses a 25 mm rear axle, while earlier bikes use a 22 mm.  No easy conversion exists but the swing arm and linkage can be swapped to work around this.

Did the $850 include all the parts, or just the head with guides and seats?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Treeyz450

Posted February 12, 2016 - 11:44 AM

The '06 through '09 are mostly identical and interchangeable except for three things:

The front brake (everything but the rotor) from '08 onward uses a different master cylinder, brake lever, and caliper, and to accommodate this, the mounts on the fork lugs are different.

The "fat end" of the '08 and onward front axle is smaller, so the fork is different. All four models use the same front wheel, though, just the axle is different.

The '09 uses a 25 mm rear axle, while earlier bikes use a 22 mm. No easy conversion exists but the swing arm and linkage can be swapped to work around this.

Did the $850 include all the parts, or just the head with guides and seats?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455306301.420676.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2016 - 12:27 PM

So the $850 included the cylinder and piston.  You'd need that with the GYT-R head anyway, so it's really more like $600 for the head, plus valves.  The GYT-R does start to look better.

• Treeyz450

Posted February 12, 2016 - 02:49 PM

So the $850 included the cylinder and piston. You'd need that with the GYT-R head anyway, so it's really more like $600 for the head, plus valves. The GYT-R does start to look better.

Actually, for 5 new seats, 5 new guides, 5 new seals. And, the $552 was only to fix one of each.
$748.25 + whatever labor to fix the other 4 assuming they all need it.

This.........ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455317343.733720.jpg
Plus this........ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455317364.309052.jpg
Plus this looks to be the way to go.......ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455317387.852988.jpg

• Monkeybutt2000

Posted February 13, 2016 - 02:43 PM

Treeyz450, on 12 Feb 2016 - 1:10 PM, said:

I hear that. I have a buddy who just broke his femur at the track, and has the same year bike with 4 sets of plastic, dr d exhaust, rekluse, and lots of other goodies, I would love to have , I just don't have the extra $$$$ laying around right now.

Are the 06-09's pretty much the same bikes minus a few small details?
I know the cams and CDI Are different, just so I know what to look for?

So what does your buddy want for his bike?

• Treeyz450

Posted February 14, 2016 - 10:59 AM

$3000

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.