oil filter drain bolt fix question

2 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted March 10, 2002 - 08:09 AM

I got some metal in the oil filter drain bolt threads and it's working at the moment, but I expect to have to put a helicoil in it soon. Those of you who have done this, did you have to remove the case to drill and tap it? I'm not sure what is behind the hole for the metal flakes to fall into (does it exit directly into the gearbox)?

Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wyatt

Posted March 10, 2002 - 02:47 PM

I have not put a heli coil in mine, but I may be able to answer part of your question. Mine was not too bad and I simply cleaned the threads with a tap. I have removed the side cover and, the hole does exit into the gearbox. So, any chemicals you spray into the hole to clean the threads will end up in your gearbox.

• skthom2320

Posted March 10, 2002 - 05:53 PM

I've been using a q-tip to clean the hole out when I change/clean the oil filter.

Steve T

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.