Lowering the Shock on 450FX

13 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted February 10, 2016 - 08:50 AM

I have decided to spend my rebate on some suspension adjustments.  I want to lower the bike an inch and do it as cheap as possible, so I would like to do it myself.  I believe I have the process for lowering the forks with a racetech spacers and spring perch stop and circlcip with a new machined groove.    My question is about the shock.  I can't seem to find anything on how to lower the shock.  Will this require complete dis assembly and have to recharge nitrogen etc.   The reason I ask is I saw a youtube video on a ktm shock and it didn't' require compete dis-assmbly.    Also would you consider lowering the shock a little bit further since the FX seems a little high in the rear anyways?  Any info would be appreciated on how this is done.

• GHILL28

Posted February 10, 2016 - 09:04 AM

Lowering requires discharge, dump oil, disassembly, grinding, installing spacer, setting torque, assembly, bleed, and charge.  Doesn't cost much if you have a vice, a grinder, some oil, and a way to charge it.  The spacer is a few bucks.

• stevethe

Posted February 10, 2016 - 12:55 PM

Racetech sells the plastic spacers to lower your shock. Call them when you order the spacers and ask how many spacers make an inch as it is not 1 to 1. You do need to take it apart. I wouldn't go more than an inch. Mine made a big difference with a inch.

• reedo05

Posted February 10, 2016 - 01:13 PM

Why not try a JGR adjustable subframe $180.00  and or Yamahas shorter seat $130.00.

Edited by reedo05, February 10, 2016 - 01:15 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted February 10, 2016 - 01:45 PM

Or a lowering link

• RMK800

Posted February 10, 2016 - 01:50 PM

Or a lowering link

Everything I have read about those is a bad idea.  You never get the geometry right.   I understand you need to address front and rear equally.

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2016 - 02:13 PM

Because a lowered seat doesn't lower the bike, and a lowered sub runs the tire into the fender.  Lowering links diddle with your linkage geometry in ways that adversely affect shock operation.  

The installation of roughly a 5/16" spacer will lower the back of the bike about one inch.  Ask the vendor you buy from. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted February 10, 2016 - 02:35 PM

Because a lowered seat doesn't lower the bike, and a lowered sub runs the tire into the fender.  Lowering links diddle with your linkage geometry in ways that adversely affect shock operation.  

The installation of roughly a 5/16" spacer will lower the back of the bike about one inch.  Ask the vendor you buy from. 

Thanks Grey, do you know of any write up with where to put the spacer on the kyb?     There's enough videos on rebuilding a shock I should be able to get by. 

• GHILL28

Posted February 10, 2016 - 02:46 PM

It usually replaces the compression stack backplate on the main piston.

• stevethe

Posted February 10, 2016 - 02:54 PM

They go right there. http://www.racetech....SUSPENSION.html

• RMK800

Posted February 10, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Steve.  I did call racetech.  They said they would cut a notch in my fork, but they said they don't sell the spring perch stop or circleclip.  I don't know if that was on purpose.  They definitely pushing me to a shortened spring.   i believe I should be able to find a machine shop to do it where I live   I did see a post where Suspension Direct sells the perch and circleclip.  I'm trying to verify that.

Here is info removing the spring perch stop.  Maybe this will help someone in the future.

http://www.thumperta...-fork-internal/

https://haroldbawlza...in-cartridge-2/

Edited by RMK800, February 10, 2016 - 04:38 PM.

• stevethe

Posted February 10, 2016 - 04:36 PM

Thanks Steve.  I did call racetech.  They said they would cut a notch in my fork, but they said they don't sell the spring perch stop or circleclip.  I don't know if that was on purpose.  They definitely pushing me to a shortened spring.   i believe I should be able to find a machine shop to do it where I live   I did see a post where Suspension Direct sells the perch and circleclip.  I'm trying to verify that.

Here is info removing the spring perch stop.  Maybe this will help someone in the future.

http://www.thumperta...-fork-internal/

I don't know. They did it at Racetech for me pretty quick when I went down there. But it was for open bath forks.

• RMK800

Posted February 10, 2016 - 04:49 PM

This process of removing the perch and cutting the grove scares me a little with a new bike.  If there was a lot of info on it, that is one thing, but there really isn't alot of info on that type of shortening.  I just might have to bite the bullet and buy shorter springs with a spacer for some peace of mind.

• stevethe

Posted February 10, 2016 - 05:00 PM

This process of removing the perch and cutting the grove scares me a little with a new bike.  If there was a lot of info on it, that is one thing, but there really isn't alot of info on that type of shortening.  I just might have to bite the bullet and buy shorter springs with a spacer for some peace of mind.

Mine went to Enzo and the said they needed to machine some special gobbly goo and I should spend the extra $250 on machined aluminuim spring holders of some sort.

It was costly but it's the best suspension I've ever ridden.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.