Bike jumping in 5th gear

I finally took apart my bottom end, but I can't really see too much that is wrong, how can I tell if a fork is bent? Here are pictures of the parts I can see that are damaged: ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455044962.393466.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455044985.784128.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455045016.499965.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455045044.864695.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455045073.045401.jpg

I am not sure how the shift drum is supposed to look, I'm assuming there are chunks missing, but my buddy thinks it is just poorly cast/machined

I would be very surprised if the shift drum was worn. The pin rides on the drum and you would need to check for wear at the point that the gear starts engaging to where the pin rests when engaged.

The more likely location is the gear dogs and the mating slot or the fork end of the shift fork. Make sure you replace the mating gear as well as the gear in the photo.

Ex500's used to have a bad 2nd gear. The gears would wear enough to slip. The fix was a new gear with more undercut to hold the gears together under power.

The shift fork should not have to hold the gears together under power. If they do then they get bent and show wear. The root cause is the gears failing.

Wow, either the fork is really bent or the gears can rock on the shaft. Look at the bottom of the fork in the 2nd picture. See the wear, that is from the surface of the gear the pad should be riding on. The pad is the small shiny spot that is worn. If you laid a straight edge on that surface it should be perpendicular to the shafts in the transmission. I would guess it's not even close.

Yes the large shift fork is BAD, replace it and look closely at all three. The wear on the gear dogs is normal, probably not the cause of slipping out or not staying engaged. Check the bearings on the ends of the shafts and shift drum. To save some money you could dress the gear dogs down using a right angle grinder, but if your down time and dollars warrant it, replace the gears that show significant wear. I've seen lots worse that did not pop out once fully engaged.