hare scrambles

5 replies to this topic
  • 426thumpers

Posted March 10, 2002 - 06:23 AM

this is a question for my girlfriend who races hare scrambles on a yz250f, she use to race cr250's. the question is the start of the hare scramble. on the cr she use to duct tape the kick start half way down so she could just kick it and go and get a good start.
any secrets to better starting on the line with the compression release? she has no problem starting it(pretty good for 120lbs) How much are th electric starts?

• dhowell

Posted March 11, 2002 - 07:54 AM

I just started doing hare scrambles this year and only have two races under my belt, so take this with a grain of salt. My first race I got a horrible start. In that race the riders actually had to stand in front of the bike and then get on when the flag was dropped. The second race riders were allowed to sit on the bike. I noticed a guy in the group/wave ahead of me giving practice/prep kicks as the flag was raised for the wave in front of him. I gave it a try. Even when the flag guy was approaching my group, I gave it a couple of more kicks before he actually raised the flag. When the flag dropped, one kick and it started right away. I guess having given the bike 10-15 clearing kicks, it better start when the lever was out. Not sure how much this was worth, but it worked the last race, we will see if it works this weekend.

Good luck!

• 426thumpers

Posted March 11, 2002 - 09:21 AM

thanks for the advice, most of the hare scrambles she does (and i'm going to try some when i get better at riding) is where you stand in front of the bike, so starting is a problem :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426thumpers

Posted March 11, 2002 - 09:23 AM

thanks for the advice, most of the hare scrambles she does (and i'm going to try some when i get better at riding) is where you stand in front of the bike, so starting is a problem :)

• Hokie

Posted March 11, 2002 - 10:35 PM

This is how I do it for my 426.
We have to stand in front of the bike for the start also.

When it is time for the start I ride the bike down to the starting line, find my group and get in line. (We always have a practice lap about an hour before this, so the bike is semi-warmed up already) Then I let it run for a little while to get warm. Not too, long though, you don't want it hot. Then turn it off. About 5 min before they let the first group go, I kick it over and make sure that it is going to start, let it run a couple minutes then shut it off.

Then get the motor to TDC and barely move it past using the decomp lever.

Fold out the start lever and get in front of the bike. When the flag drops, hop on and kick the crap out of it! Usually starts first kick.

I like to keep the bike in first gear, so I have to pull in the clutch when I start it. Some people are not able to start them in gear though.

Hope this helps!

• 426thumpers

Posted March 11, 2002 - 06:22 PM

that helped out alot

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.