Need help with top end rebuild

1 reply to this topic
  • A.Sailer95

Posted February 05, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hey guys I just finished putting back together my top end after replacing the head gasket on my 06 yz450f and it won't start. I've cleaned the carb inside and out and the timing is right according to the manual. The only thing that I can see is that the valve clearances are pretty low, the manual says the intake should be 0.10 - 0.15mm and the exhaust should be 0.20 - 0.25mm but 2 of my intakes are 0.076 and one is 0.102 and I can't even get my smallest feeler guage in the exhaust. This is my first time doing the top end on this bike so I'm not too sure where to go from here if this is something that would cause the bike from not being able to start or whether I should go buy new shims or "adjusting pads" or if there's something else that could make things easier. I tried to keep all the caps and shims separate so I would know which ones went where but the bench they were on got cleaned off so they all got mixed up so I'm not sure which one is which now. Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks, Alex.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:26 AM

If you can't get a feeler under the exhausts, there's a problem.  

Double check your cam timing before taking it back apart.  If the cams are out of position badly enough, the exhaust cam might be bearing down on the lifters,

Then remove the cam and lifters and check that neither of your valve shims are tilted in the pockets.  They can get stuck part way down to where they belong and decrease clearance.  

Outside of that, if it's assembled right, you probably should have replaced the exhaust valves.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.