Shinko R505 Hybrid Cheater Tires ? Anyone heard of these?

Yeah no shit, this spring I put on a Goldentyre Fatty front and the 505 cheater rear both with Tubliss and a few buddies rode my bike and were amazed by those tires.  Now damn near everyone here is running the same setup, I kinda wanted to keep it a secret and have my little edge on them. 

Between these reviews I think I'll be trying one out on my KTM. I already have the Goldentire AA fatty up front and I'm currently running the Kenda Equilibrium in the rear. Thanks for the reviews guys.

• Like 1

Between these reviews I think I'll be trying one out on my KTM. I already have the Goldentire AA fatty up front and I'm currently running the Kenda Equilibrium in the rear. Thanks for the reviews guys.

It's better than the Equilibrium Chris, and alot cheaper, more durable too.  I was using the Equilibrium this spring and destroyed it in 2 rides.  Was too soft for Tubliss and lower pressures, the cheater has held up much better in comparison.  Lots of sharp rock around here.

0530161427a_zps0effh2uu.jpg

0522161200_zps03huwfsz.jpg

Thank you. My Kenda only has one ride on it and I was not overly impressed. The tire I am really liking these days on my Beta are the Bridgestone X30's. For the KTM I want to get something for just hard core single track riding. Shinko sounds like the hot ticket. I'll still try to squeeze a few more rides out of my Kenda.

• Like 2

Fwiw. I've seen this tire (in tacky compound)  in action and its done well. At least for narly offroad here in the NC mtns. Obviously theres other factors involved, but its still the only tire I've personally seen climb this certain tough hill called the Point of No Return (and climbed it multi times, never appearing to have any issues).run tubeless at 4psi on a 016 KTM300.

Pics from just 3 days ago while a friend gave it multi tries. He was on Trakmasters w tubes. Straight up the fall-line. Nope. Theres a root riiiight here (just behind him).

YZ250%2005%2003%20016%20014_zps3shtzxsy.

No room at the bottom for a run at it either.

YZ250%2005%2003%20016%20011_zpsjoumrrxu.

If it looks steep in a pic, its F'n steep.

YZ250%2005%2003%20016%20012_zps5pra9kw6.

• Like 5

Fwiw. I've seen this tire (in tacky compound) in action and its done well. At least for narly offroad here in the NC mtns. Obviously theres other factors involved, but its still the only tire I've personally seen climb this certain tough hill called the Point of No Return (and climbed it multi times, never appearing to have any issues).run tubeless at 4psi on a 016 KTM300.

Pics from just 3 days ago while a friend gave it multi tries. He was on Trakmasters w tubes. Straight up the fall-line. Nope. Theres a root riiiight here (just behind him).

YZ250%2005%2003%20016%20014_zps3shtzxsy.

No room at the bottom for a run at it either.

YZ250%2005%2003%20016%20011_zpsjoumrrxu.

If it looks steep in a pic, its F'n steep.

YZ250%2005%2003%20016%20012_zps5pra9kw6.

Where is this? Im in GA and go to NC for riding the roads on my dual sport. Would like to go offroad at times too (not necessarily tough singletrack or hill climbs, but not against trying either).
  • Like 1

I've been running the Michelin StarCross5 HARD tire for the summer (which IMO works as advertised and is a very durable tire in hard rocky terrain) but I'm ready to pull it off (but I'll put it back on next summer) for something for the fall/winter that I can run at 4PSI with an UHD tube.

Anyway I've been following this topic these look interesting and just found out that they retail for $139 110/90/19 or $149 120/90/19 CDN and apparently I can only get them from few places in BC. I need to see if one of my local shops can order one of these and what my actual cost is. Personally I'll spend the $$$$ on new tires that I've never tried cus the only way I'm going to know how they work for me is try one ?

http://www.shinkotirecanada.com/product/id=101.php

Edited by filterx
  • Like 2

Thank you. My Kenda only has one ride on it and I was not overly impressed. The tire I am really liking these days on my Beta are the Bridgestone X30's. For the KTM I want to get something for just hard core single track riding. Shinko sounds like the hot ticket. I'll still try to squeeze a few more rides out of my Kenda.

I'm running x30s on my YZ, really good tires. I have zero complaints.
  • Like 2

is this tire any good in mud? The tread pattern does not look like it would do very well in mud or deep loose stuff.

I ran the non sticky version on my dual sported 525. Same tread pattern. It did ok in Florida sand and mud.

So many tires - so little time ?

For rears for the fall/winter in the PNW I've been looking at trying and in NO particular order and addition to the 505.

Kenda TrakMaster II

Kenda IBEX (Super Sticky)

Vee Rubber VRM-140 Tackee Tire

Metzeler MC 4 Soft Terrain Rear Tire

Mitas http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-enduro-offroad-and-motorcross-tires/

Otherwise IF it actually snows where I ride this rear, the studded tires are going on

Edited by filterx
  • Like 3

Anyone compared the Shinko 505 against the IRC VE-33 in an 18" rear?

In my experience with 3 of the the Metzler MC-4 in a 19" it is great on soft to medium. Especially good predictable grip at high lean angles. But it quickly loses side knobs if you run under 11 PSI or get onto anything hard and rutted or rocky. The pirelli MX-32 or geomax MX3S are a better choice if you like that type of tire.

Plus 1 for the x30, I think it's sick... It actually seems to hold up better than the x40. For some reason the hard terrain tires seem to chunk and chip more... Bridgestone has a sweet $40 rebate rockin right now. I usually run Sedona 907 rear but I think the bridgestones a better tire, and cheaper right now...

Has anyone tried the x20? Something tells me it will hold up even though it's a "soft" tire.. I tried the m59 which was supposed to be a "soft" tire and it did great in hard/rocky/off-road terrain, so idk..

That IRC ve33 lasted 2 rides... It did hook up good tho...

Edited by Casing-daily

It's better than the Equilibrium Chris, and alot cheaper, more durable too. I was using the Equilibrium this spring and destroyed it in 2 rides. Was too soft for Tubliss and lower pressures, the cheater has held up much better in comparison. Lots of sharp rock around here.

0530161427a_zps0effh2uu.jpg

0522161200_zps03huwfsz.jpg

I've heard this same report from my fastest friend, he destroyed his equilibrium in 3 rides on tubliss in the forest, not even sharp rocks. I'm putting one on my Cadillac drz with tubliss to replace a Kenda Trackmaster 2, we'll see how it handles all that weight and the monster drz power[emoji6]

So many tires - so little time ?

For rears for the fall/winter in the PNW I've been looking at trying and in NO particular order and addition to the 505.

Kenda TrakMaster II

Kenda IBEX (Super Sticky)

Vee Rubber VRM-140 Tackee Tire

Metzeler MC 4 Soft Terrain Rear Tire

Mitas http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-enduro-offroad-and-motorcross-tires/

Otherwise I'm IF it actually snows where I ride this rear, the studded tires are going on

I got over 1k miles (Murican) out of a Trackmaster rear on my giant pig drz which I ride much harder than it likes. I'm a huge fan of its longevity, versatility and value. Very solid performer on pavement as well.
  • Like 1