Fuel Screw

6 replies to this topic
  • acarter920

Posted March 09, 2002 - 03:24 PM

I know this sounds dumb... but i've been a 2-stroke guy for the 4 years ive been tinkering with dirtbikes. But i recently got an 00' Yz426 and put a WR silencer on it due to the lower noise level and spark arrestor.

The bike isnt fouling spark plugs at all... but i know the jetting could stand to be a little leaner for better throttle response. Where is the fuel screw? Is it the same thing as the idle screw? I am usually pretty good with working on engines, but i dont have an owner's manual....

On 2-strokes its right on the side of the carb, but this thumper carb is much more complicated. So any help is appreciated. If someone has a picture, or could just describe where it is then that would be great. Thanks :)

• MikeOK

Posted March 09, 2002 - 03:44 PM

The 426 doesn't have a fuel screw, it has an air screw. It is located on the very bottom of your carb and recessed. You can adjust it with a short screw driver and a small mirror. Contrary to what you may hear, you adjust it just like you would a fuel screw. Just go in until it idles rough, go out until the it idles rough again, then put it back in the middle. If your pilot is the right size you will end up around 2 turns out....

• dirtdad

Posted March 09, 2002 - 05:46 PM

This screw on the FCR carb is actually referred to as the Pilot screw. Many also do refer to it as a "fuel screw". The results of turning this screw are opposite of what they are on a 2-stroke carbs "air screw". Turning in = leaner, out = richer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeOK

Posted March 10, 2002 - 05:15 AM

hmmm I'm not sure if you're right or not dad, I'm too lazy right now to go out in the shop and look in the manual but I am sure about the adjusting part. I knew I would get some argue about that but now that I think about it you might be right about the richer/leaner part. That would be good info if he had to re-jet.

• dirtdad

Posted March 10, 2002 - 06:11 AM

MikeOK, apologies if I sounded like I was arguing. I did check the manual before I posted just to be sure. Your advice on adjusting was good. I was just trying to add some useful info.

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 10, 2002 - 01:46 PM

2 strokes use an air screw.

4 strokes use a FUEL screw.

OUT is MORE fuel & IN is LESS, like Dad said.

• acarter920

Posted March 10, 2002 - 06:06 PM

I knew about the fuel screw thing, and know how to jet... but i just had no idea where the darn thing was! lol... thanks for the info, i did finally find it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.