WR400 No Oil to Head

3 replies to this topic
  • zrad

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:41 PM

Just wanted to take a minute and share a oil pump failure experience I had on my 98 Wr400. I picked up the bike in non running condition and it turned out to have a roasted head. I rebuilt the top end and was having a head oiling issue and it turned that one of the steel ball bearings dislodged from the pump only allowing the oil to flow back into the crankcase and not through the filter and up into the head. I assume this caused the original failure and I ended pressing the ball back in and it's working fine. Should I worry about it dislodging again? It's kinda got me scared and I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation. I assume it would take some serious pressure to initially force the ball out in the first place and I'm now wondering why the heck they would use a couple balls to seal the ends anyway. Any thoughts?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:28 AM

Tough to give much confidence to an 18 year old motor that is already shown to be capable of creating catisrophic failure.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bikedude987

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:29 AM

Yes, you should worry about it.  If it pressed out in the first place and you only pressed it back in, the bore has been worn twice.  You need to stake it in and I would have put some retaining compound on there before you pressed it, but that ship's sailed...

• zrad

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:16 AM

I will be replacing this faulty pump. Does anyone know what kind of pressure the oil pump runs at?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.