New to me 06 YZ 450 valve question

22 replies to this topic
  • blurz28

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:10 PM

Tearing down and inspecting... Checked valve clearances... Everything is good except the center intake... It's at .20... And from what I understand that's out of spec...
What bothers me is I know these things tighten over time - not get more loose...
So I'm wondering if the previous owner adjusted them and just f'ed it up or what.

So I guess the question is what should I do?
Run it as is and keep an eye on them cause it runs great....

Or tear down the head and check the valves over?

• billygildark5007

Posted January 31, 2016 - 10:32 PM

Yes valves should tighten under normal wear conditions. Could be the top of the valve stem mushrooming? Bucket cracked? Excess carbon holding valve open?
Id take the cams and buckets out and look around. If appears fine then reshim as needed (only one size if .20 measured) Then kept a close eye on the clearance for movement every couple hours.

Edited by billygildark5007, January 31, 2016 - 10:33 PM.

• blurz28

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:20 PM

If carbon is holding the valve open would it be best to take the head off and clean it up?
I'm gonna look for the valve tip wear or bucket/shim issue but if it's obviously not that I'm gonna pull the head and look at it....

Knowing my luck I'd just throw a +.10mm shim in there to get it to spec and the carbon would break off and cause it to tighten and grenade the motor on me....

The bike looks so clean that I can't imagine it's been ridden much.... Looks like a bike that has been ridden here to there on dirt roads only.... Still has the original tires on it from what I can tell, all wear in the center and only on the rear... Guy must have ridden wheelies everywhere he went. It's never seen a track and doesn't look like it's even been dropped.

I still have a hard time imagining why someone would buy a dirt bike and not put a $35 hour meter on to keep track of maintenance

• billygildark5007

Posted February 01, 2016 - 09:48 PM

If it were my new bike I'd pull the head off and inspect everything. Valve stem could be bending also causing more clearance . The center intake always seems to get the most wear and tear.
But you never know what another owner did. You could reshim and monitor instead. I've seen brand new valve shims that are marked 170 and measure 174-5. (Hot cams).

• blurz28

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:49 AM

Does the cylinder head gasket generally need replaced or can it be reused??

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:32 AM

the head gasket can NEVER be reused once it's been torqued in place, even if the engine was never run. 

• blurz28

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:44 PM

Ok. Took cams out to inspect the buckets and shims. Center intake was a very easily read 185... so I gotta guess the previous owner attempted to shim the center valve and messed it up.

Should I: A. pull the head and replace the center intake and have the seat refinished
Or B. Reshim it to spec and just keep an eye on them frequently

I don't think it matters but if it does I'm a novice Mx rider that occasionally rides trails and never ever over rev my bike.... Ever.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160202_213507.jpg

Edited by blurz28, February 02, 2016 - 08:05 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:16 PM

You can't over rev it, It has a limiter.

Nevertheless, you may be right about the previous owner.  If you see that the center valve stem tip (where the shim sits) looks like the other ones and not beat flat or something, then try getting the clearance right first and then watching it for a while.  

• blurz28

Posted February 03, 2016 - 06:08 AM

I know it has a limiter... I never get near it is what I should have said.

Anyway, I attached a pic of the intake ends. I could not see any difference between them.
Ive read a ton of threads on here and I gather that Gray recommends the cam caps be tightened to 75 inch pounds in 3 increments - so 25,50,75

Gonna order a shim, new cam tensioner gasket, and a hour meter and watch it every few hours.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160202_210511.jpg

Edited by blurz28, February 03, 2016 - 06:09 AM.

• UncleLuke

Posted February 03, 2016 - 06:12 AM

Most likely the top of the valve stem hard coating is gone and it is wearing from the top.

You could replace the valves or shim and keep an eye on it.

Can you post a picture of the valve stems with the buckets/shims removed for us to see?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • UncleLuke

Posted February 03, 2016 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for the pic.

There is definitely wear on the top of that center valve stem compared to the others (diameter is slightly larger). Shim it and keep a log of the measurements every 10-15 hours.

Now is a good time to replace the cam chain and tensioner with new, OEM parts too

• blurz28

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:16 PM

We need a pinned thread of yz valves, pistons, cylinder walls that are both damaged and good to go...
That way a guy like me could reference good vs bad

Specifically I'd like to see worn valve faces so I could see what this coating looks like when it isn't there...

• billygildark5007

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:36 PM

That'd be a cool stickie thread

• UncleLuke

Posted February 04, 2016 - 05:35 AM

Specifically I'd like to see worn valve faces so I could see what this coating looks like when it isn't there...

I said it looks like the valve stem tip is worn.

The valve face isn't visible without removing the head but this should give you an idea:

• dougla12

Posted February 04, 2016 - 06:37 AM

We need a pinned thread of yz valves, pistons, cylinder walls that are both damaged and good to go...
That way a guy like me could reference good vs bad

I agree, theres alot of info, videos and stuff out there for the bottom end.
But when it comes to the top end more specifically the head and valves infomation becomes more difficult to find.
There should be a pinned thread about maintenance, inspection when parts need changing etc etc

• blurz28

Posted February 04, 2016 - 09:23 AM

Thats a great pic uncle...
You can clearly see the difference in the two.

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2016 - 09:31 AM

Valve in the foreground of the first picture is OK.  Valve behind it is pretty well worn.  The valve in the second picture is the center intake from my '06 (~300 hours).  This one is right at the point of having chewed through the coating.  Notice the very slight ridge at the OD of the wear surface (arrows), and that the wear surface itself is an uninterrupted uniformly bright stripe. 

• blurz28

Posted February 04, 2016 - 10:23 AM

Nice. That's what I'm talking about.

Way more helpful to be able to see it.

• blurz28

Posted February 06, 2016 - 01:31 PM

I must not have been aggressive enough when I first checked the clearances because I just put in the 1.95 shim in the center intake and I can still get a .254mm feeler in there. If my math is correct that means I need to get a 2.10 shim to get the clearance right.
That seems excessive to me.
Any suggestions?

• billygildark5007

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:36 PM

Yep. With that amount of stem wear it's new valve time.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.