2016 wr450 instead of an fx ?

28 replies to this topic
  • Summit

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:01 AM

So I was pretty convinced the fx 450 is the one because I really never use lights BUT, now it looks like with a aftermarket pipe, ecu, and the normal uncorking, you pretty much have an fx with lights with an unnoticeable weight penalty with the wr. Where I live I can plate a yz so that's not a concern. However, lights can be a good thing when occasionally riding on a forest road or county road. I think when cops see the headlight they immediately tend to ignore you. For that reason I'm now leaning towards the wr. Thoughts?

• AtomicGeo

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Sounds quite reasonable.

• 2Speed

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:35 AM

I went with the WR for that exact reason. I looked closely at them both and determined it was easier to add the ECU and pipe, and uncork the WR than to add lights, wiring and computer to the FX. Also looked at removing the lights and putting a plate on the front if I wanted to. No problem. The plate mounting posts are molded in the triple clamp on the WR just like the FX.

• LeanBurn

Posted February 03, 2016 - 05:21 AM

I'm actually considering going the opposite direction, adding lights to FX, either way it's going to cost approximately $500, my thought's were there are some really nice LED headlights available. What I have not researched is spring rates and valving, I would think the FX is a little firmer, which suits me better.

• WRF-Rowdy

Posted February 03, 2016 - 05:59 AM

I'm actually considering going the opposite direction, adding lights to FX, either way it's going to cost approximately $500, my thought's were there are some really nice LED headlights available. What I have not researched is spring rates and valving, I would think the FX is a little firmer, which suits me better.

Regarding lights you are correct. 

But to me long time WR owner the YZ always appeared to be a totally different ride:

Very easy to stall ("no" flywheel weight)

higher compression (WR of old came with thicker base gasket)

a lighter feel and

way more snap and acceleration ("no" flywheel weight)

I'm pleased to hear how close those two seem to be now. :thumbsup:

Then again what's a "FX", compared to "YZ"  :goofy:

Edited by WRF-Rowdy, February 03, 2016 - 06:00 AM.

• bk29

Posted February 03, 2016 - 07:56 AM

Dirt bike test has a nice write up on the wr. Jimmy likes it.

• NorCal

Posted February 03, 2016 - 08:00 AM

I went with the WR for that exact reason. I looked closely at them both and determined it was easier to add the ECU and pipe, and uncork the WR than to add lights, wiring and computer to the FX. Also looked at removing the lights and putting a plate on the front if I wanted to. No problem. The plate mounting posts are molded in the triple clamp on the WR just like the FX.

Did you guys ever research what it takes to add lights to the FX?

My KX450F was super easy. All I did was get a Baja Designs squadron

with harness kit. It was all plug and play. Cost $269 shipped (for everything).

I couldn't imagine the new YZ450FX be any more difficult. Let me know what

you find out because I have the FX on my radar for my next bike!

• 2Speed

Posted February 03, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Did you guys ever research what it takes to add lights to the FX?

My KX450F was super easy. All I did was get a Baja Designs squadron

with harness kit. It was all plug and play. Cost $269 shipped (for everything).

I couldn't imagine the new YZ450FX be any more difficult. Let me know what

you find out because I have the FX on my radar for my next bike!

If all you want is a headlight, and you aren't planning to plate the bike, go with the FX.

If you want full DS capabilities, the WR will be easier to wire up. It has a more comprehensive wiring harness throughout. You could even add the OEM controls from the overseas version if you want, but that's expensive.

They are identical except for the wiring harness, ECU and muffler. Oh, and that silly throttle screw on the WR.

• NorCal

Posted February 03, 2016 - 03:26 PM

If all you want is a headlight, and you aren't planning to plate the bike, go with the FX.

If you want full DS capabilities, the WR will be easier to wire up. It has a more comprehensive wiring harness throughout. You could even add the OEM controls from the overseas version if you want, but that's expensive.

They are identical except for the wiring harness, ECU and muffler. Oh, and that silly throttle screw on the WR.

Yeah.. that's a tough one. Living in Kalifornia, it would be nice to have a green sticker, too.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted February 04, 2016 - 02:57 AM

I went with the fx because adding a light for the 1 off chance I might need one can be as easy as a trail tech LED light with bar clamp to your handle bars. A switch and a connection to the battery.
Why make it difficult?
In addition you can go with their helmet mounted light which I am sure puts more light where you need it because it will be wherever your looking!
The WR light is better than most but the fact is you wouldn't want it as your only light on a really dark trail anyway.
As for the computer, like all bikes the speedometer reads about 10% high as well as the distance. In addition a gps, engine temp, tachometer and battery voltage, hour meter are all things I find handy. So since the factory meter displays inaccurate information and lacks everything else I elected to ditch it. On my 2013 wr I had to relocate it so my trail tech voyager could be mounted. I didn't want to remove it because it will display trouble codes (never became an issue)
The only thing I wanted and gave up was the check engine and low fuel lights.
Beyond that everything else is pretty much worthless added weight for me.
So for me the aftermarket voyager is a more valuable solution and I'll carry extra fuel until I know more accurately my fuel range is.
The fact is when the low fuel light or engine light comes on out on a trail what good will it do for you anyway?
90% of the time I'll be on a loop and the only way back to the truck is to keep on riding, if you run out, well your out!
9 lbs weight savings and 100 bucks I think was the difference in price.
But I did replace the exhaust and battery because the exhaust does not have a spark arrester and I needed that decided to go FMF titanium and save some weight.
Added the radiator fan and radiator braces and hand guards.
I also believe the mapping of the ecu might be different with the comp ecu on the wr and stock on the FX can't say for sure but all in all my goal was the faster, lighter bike.
If I wanted to add a tail light and head light I could very easily as well. I've played with 12 volt electronics for about 40 years now.
So if your worried about wiring it does not need to be difficult. If you really wanted to get fancy it would be easy to tap into the relay circuit that powers the ecu and it would turn the lights on on start up and off on shutdown while the main power is connected to the battery.
You can also buy the Baja designs headlight that straps onto the forks.
Plenty of easy solutions out there

Edited by Bass Mechanic, February 04, 2016 - 03:03 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Super_Davee

Posted February 04, 2016 - 01:24 PM

Anyone selling their FX slip on??

• Ghazzah

Posted February 06, 2016 - 03:57 PM

Hey, Team. 

I'm trading a YZ250FX on the new '16 WR450F. Decided to go with the WR450 against the YZ450FX as most of my riding these days is moderate single trail, dirt roads, some hills, river crossing etc. Got sick of loading the 250FX onto a trailer, so a road reg'd WR450 got the nod. 

I live 10-20 minutes of sealed roads away from riverbeds, beaches, mountain passes so the WR is ideal. 

In hindsight, I should have purchased the WR250 as I ended up softening the springs and the valves on the FX to create a more compliant ride. 

I plan to use the WR as my 80 dirt/20 road bike. I also have a G650GS Sertão that I use for 20 dirt/80 road trips. ... and a fully rebuilt '97 CBR1100XX for shits and giggle on the road, although that does not get much use the days. 

The WR is due later this month. Can't wait. 

8^)-

Gazza. 

Christchurch,

New Zealand. 

• bk29

Posted February 18, 2016 - 06:37 PM

Hey, Team.

I'm trading a YZ250FX on the new '16 WR450F. Decided to go with the WR450 against the YZ450FX as most of my riding these days is moderate single trail, dirt roads, some hills, river crossing etc. Got sick of loading the 250FX onto a trailer, so a road reg'd WR450 got the nod.

I live 10-20 minutes of sealed roads away from riverbeds, beaches, mountain passes so the WR is ideal.

In hindsight, I should have purchased the WR250 as I ended up softening the springs and the valves on the FX to create a more compliant ride.

I plan to use the WR as my 80 dirt/20 road bike. I also have a G650GS Sertão that I use for 20 dirt/80 road trips. ... and a fully rebuilt '97 CBR1100XX for shits and giggle on the road, although that does not get much use the days.

The WR is due later this month. Can't wait.

8^)-

Gazza.

Christchurch,
New Zealand.

Long time no post Gaz. I thought maybe you had crashed hard enough to forget your tt password or something.

• Ghazzah

Posted February 19, 2016 - 10:35 AM

Hey, BK.

Chuckle. Yeah, had a couple of 'good' crashes last year, rode the 250FX into a tree (!) and launched the Sertão into the stratosphere and into a ditch at around 90kmph after hitting a hidden rain trench on a mountain pass. Both moments hurt. Quite a lot. Hyper extended both wrists and tweaked my back. All good now. Been flat out building a new house, which is due for completion 4-6 weeks, so will get out on the WR450 when the dust settles on the building site. Stay tuned!

8^)-

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• chelder

Posted February 19, 2016 - 12:46 PM

I was in the same predicament, for the extra $500aud you get ADR compliance so the resale is a lot better, i pulled the exhaust off added the full FMF/GYTR Ti system and a few other goodies lowering link, race wheels GYTR sprockets and some other goodies i cant think of right now, planning on doing some MX next weekend didn't take much to get it MX ready and then ill hit the trails again next break! Very versatile bike you would honestly have to be mad to go for the FX i don't see any point.

Got it full rego'd too so can use it to run to the shops if i want as well.IMG_6254_zpsgegyuwvg.jpgIMG_6256_zpsceoxpyyt.jpgIMG_6278_zpsjsl29oya.jpgIMG_6280_zpskvsu8uef.jpgIMG_6279_zpsyhchvpwy.jpgIMG_6251_zpsfrqp0sdo.jpg

• reedo05

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:12 PM

Hey chelder what lowering link are you using ?

• Monk

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Less then $200...

20160219_180723_zpsm8lokxjp.jpg
https://youtu.be/N67KSqxS6qg

• Ghazzah

Posted February 19, 2016 - 10:02 PM

Hey Chelder. Bike looks great, neighbour.

I'm also putting on a Yamalink. I've talked to Dan at YL and he said the link off the traded YZ250FX '15 will work fine on the WR450F '16, only a mm or two difference. He said to set the the rider sag carefully and I'd be sweet. Concensus seems to be around 118mm rider sag. Seems a lot but I'm not arguing with the experts.

Are you planning on fitting a new shock spring? Lowering links reduce the effective spring rate by around 15% so a 15% stiffer spring is needed to bring the rear end back to an effective OEM spring rate. I'm fitting a 5% stiffer spring with my YL to give me 10% softer shock spring rate. I have a Factory Connection Spring ready to go on. I plan on fitting 10% softer fork springs to balance the whole bike. Also fitting softer secondary chamber springs to add a further level of plushness. I'm a starving-chicken 75kg so respringing essential. All reviews suggest that the bike is setup for an 85kg rider, not the usual Yamaha 75kg Rider.

I see a yellow 60th Anniversary bike in your pics. Not tempted? My dealer is bringing in both yellow and blue and I get to choose. Heading towards the blue. I've got a blue Ti FMF arriving so might look a little 'bright' on the yellow bike.

Gazza.

Edited by Ghazzah, February 19, 2016 - 10:03 PM.

• Ghazzah

Posted February 19, 2016 - 10:12 PM

Nice job Monk. I fitted a Cyclops LED to my Sertão, what a light! They knock HIDs out of the ballpark, and quartz halogen are not even worth mentioning. I've ordered a Cyclops for the WR. Super simple install, only one small module to find a home for. What are your thoughts on water protection for the Cyclops? Will they survive off road immersion? G.

• chelder

Posted February 19, 2016 - 10:46 PM

Hey chelder what lowering link are you using ?

It's a Kroozetune link 30mm I'm still to fit it I'll run it Thursday to see how it goes.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.