Bought a 16 YZ450F Today

• Please sign in to reply

13 replies to this topic
  • CSAR FE

TT Bronze Member

124 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 30, 2016 - 05:12 PM

I hemmed and hawed over about 6 different bikes and finally settled on a new YZ450F today. I paid $8700 out the door and they gave me 25% off the GYTR Tuner, so I picked that up as well. The majority of my gear is at my buddy's house so I can't go put in a good ride until I get my stuff back, but I did take her out for a quick spin. I can already tell you that this bike is faster in stock form than my last bike (07 CRF450R) and the throttle response is just out of this world. This is my first EFI bike though, so take that for what it's worth. I plan on doing a review and posting it up within the next couple weeks. If you guys have any tips for setup or whatever, let me know!
  • Edge316 and Costa Rican YZ450F like this
  • Like This

• Costa Rican YZ450F

TT Bronze Member

134 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Congrats on your new bike, I picked up a 2016 also and absolutely love it. Just my 2 cents I only track it, suspension is incredible! Plush felling with great bottoming resistance, I also have the gytr tuner and feel the yamaha maps are awesome, the stock one is too, we are in our dry season so I changed it to the hard packed one and works the best for me in these conditions, it has more initial throttle traction and still keeps its power. The only thing I changed was the rear sprocket to a 49t our tracks are not to big and this helps me pull 3rd and 4th a lot better. Hope you enjoy and give us your feedback.

• CSAR FE

TT Bronze Member

124 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 31, 2016 - 04:28 AM

Congrats on your new bike, I picked up a 2016 also and absolutely love it. Just my 2 cents I only track it, suspension is incredible! Plush felling with great bottoming resistance, I also have the gytr tuner and feel the yamaha maps are awesome, the stock one is too, we are in our dry season so I changed it to the hard packed one and works the best for me in these conditions, it has more initial throttle traction and still keeps its power. The only thing I changed was the rear sprocket to a 49t our tracks are not to big and this helps me pull 3rd and 4th a lot better. Hope you enjoy and give us your feedback.

Thanks brother! Do you have a link to the Yamaha maps?

• jcross312

TT Gold Member

1,116 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Go to 49 rear sprocket and raise forks 4mm in clamps works great on mine. I went to mx32 front tire was a big improvement in front traction. Awesome bike!!
  • Costa Rican YZ450F and CSAR FE like this
  • Like This

• Costa Rican YZ450F

TT Bronze Member

134 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 09:21 AM

Thanks brother! Do you have a link to the Yamaha maps?

Click on the specifications tab and the maps are there

https://www.shopyama...ytr-power-tuner

• CSAR FE

TT Bronze Member

124 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 31, 2016 - 10:07 AM

Go to 49 rear sprocket and raise forks 4mm in clamps works great on mine. I went to mx32 front tire was a big improvement in front traction. Awesome bike!!

I just got done raising the forks. MXA mentioned the same thing in their test on the new YZ. Have you played with your suspension settings at all?

Click on the specifications tab and the maps are there

https://www.shopyama...ytr-power-tuner

Thanks! I built the maps on my tuner. I'm amazed at how simple and user friendly it is.

• CSAR FE

TT Bronze Member

124 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 07, 2016 - 04:39 PM

So I broke in the bike on friday, changed the fluids and took her out today for the first real ride. Here's my initial impressions:

This motor is snappy and fast... Really fast... Like borderline uncontrollable for me. Bear in mind that I haven't ridden in almost three years up until last Friday. I came off an 07 CRF450R which was quick, but made pretty smooth, linear power. I had arm pump within the first 5 minutes of riding the new YZ, so I pulled off and busted out my tuner. I decided I'd load the "Linear Torque/Hard Pack Condition" tune from GYTR. This made the bottom end much more forgiving and less tiring, but didn't neuter the bike. The bike was also much more tractable with this tune. This thing pulls to the moon. You can lug the shit out of it and it just pulls. Where I rode today, theres a mixture of hard pack, deep sand, and huge sand hills. The bike had no issues with any of them.

Moving on to the suspension. I am around 230 pounds with all my gear on. The suspension was soft when it needed to be, stiff when it needed to be, and predictable. This is the best out-of-the-box suspension I have ever encountered. Once I get used to the bike, I might play with the settings, but for the most part it felt great.

The way the bike handles is my biggest gripe. This bike doesn't want to turn. With the forks at 0mm (stock), you really have to put your weight up front to get the bike to turn. I also tried 4mm up at the recommendation of MXA and it definitely makes the bike turn better, but makes the bike pretty twitchy. I think 2mm up might be a happy medium for me personally. I also think the stock tires need to go; they are garbage for soft terrain. I grew up riding strictly Starcross tires and had great success with them, so I may move on to those. 

Edited by CSAR FE, February 07, 2016 - 04:42 PM.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,107 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 10:38 AM

So I broke in the bike on friday, changed the fluids and took her out today for the first real ride. Here's my initial impressions:

This motor is snappy and fast... Really fast... Like borderline uncontrollable for me. Bear in mind that I haven't ridden in almost three years up until last Friday. I came off an 07 CRF450R which was quick, but made pretty smooth, linear power. I had arm pump within the first 5 minutes of riding the new YZ, so I pulled off and busted out my tuner. I decided I'd load the "Linear Torque/Hard Pack Condition" tune from GYTR. This made the bottom end much more forgiving and less tiring, but didn't neuter the bike. The bike was also much more tractable with this tune. This thing pulls to the moon. You can lug the shit out of it and it just pulls. Where I rode today, theres a mixture of hard pack, deep sand, and huge sand hills. The bike had no issues with any of them.

Moving on to the suspension. I am around 230 pounds with all my gear on. The suspension was soft when it needed to be, stiff when it needed to be, and predictable. This is the best out-of-the-box suspension I have ever encountered. Once I get used to the bike, I might play with the settings, but for the most part it felt great.

The way the bike handles is my biggest gripe. This bike doesn't want to turn. With the forks at 0mm (stock), you really have to put your weight up front to get the bike to turn. I also tried 4mm up at the recommendation of MXA and it definitely makes the bike turn better, but makes the bike pretty twitchy. I think 2mm up might be a happy medium for me personally. I also think the stock tires need to go; they are garbage for soft terrain. I grew up riding strictly Starcross tires and had great success with them, so I may move on to those.

I'm going to try the linear torque map Sunday. I tried the Preston map and didn't feel it helps in sand, just dug holes quicker. I'm thinking the linear torque would make wheel spin less and forward motion more.

• Crusty Cy

TT Bronze Member

112 posts

Posted September 16, 2016 - 02:52 PM

Congrats! I too had a '07 CRF 450 and feel the Yamahas are a much better platform. Other than springs for your weight (stock is for a 175-180 lb rider), adjusting the fork height, and a quality front tire, it doesn't really need much. Also, mount the bars in the forward position in the clamps and a run a 49T rear sprocket. If you have an excess of cash, the 22 or even 21mm triple clamp offset is also helpful. I'm thinking about a close out '16 myself and transferring all my goodies!

• motocrotts

TT Silver Member

590 posts

Posted September 20, 2016 - 03:10 PM

At 230 you're way to heavy for the stock springs. Spring for your weight, set your racing sag to 102mm and she'll turn. Congrats on the bike.

• hondaman331

Hasta la vista

3,107 posts

Posted September 21, 2016 - 08:49 AM

I'm only 205 and I went to a 5.9 rear spring. It was too harsh with stock, at 100mm sag I was at 26mm free sag. Numbers don't lie, got factory connection on the phone and they said forks are fine, needs 5.9 in the rear for me. Should feel way more plush, not snapping through the stroke at blistering speeds.

• Krannie McKranface
36,189 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 21, 2016 - 12:45 PM

You need springs and a revalve at 230 lbs....you are 70lbs over the oem target tuning (160 + gear).......at the very least springs.....but a stiffer spring rate might be too much for the current rebound valving.

• grayracer513
42,912 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted September 21, 2016 - 01:38 PM

The actual target weight is closer to 175 plus gear, but the point is still the same.

Weight is carried by the springs.  Motion is controlled by the damping.  One can't effectively do the work of the other.  With springs too light for your weight, you end up loosing the top aprt of your suspension travel and having to set the compression damping stiffer to control bottoming, which leads to far more harshness than a spring that's a notch or two too stiff.

• JETMX1985

TT Bronze Member

221 posts

Posted September 27, 2016 - 06:28 PM

You need springs, the sag set correctly and a good front tire. The stocker sucks. I took it off at 1 hr and put a mx 32 on the front. I also have the forks slid up 4 mm's and 2014 clamps that are 22mm. It turns great.

Related Content

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.