Yz450f need advice on price

5 replies to this topic
  • Madmike84

Posted January 30, 2016 - 05:37 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1454160801.180453.jpg

Good morning fellas. Anyone wanna give me some advice on if this is a good deal or not? I feel like it would be good for a project bike.

This is actually how I got my xr250r. A guy was selling for $800 and I got him down to $500 because of a terrible noise in the engine. Turned out to be timing chain needed to be replaced. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so if this bike does have rod bearings out I feel confident after doing some research and getting a fsm for it I can do the work. Thanks for your time!

• tmeyer37

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:18 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1454160801.180453.jpg

Good morning fellas. Anyone wanna give me some advice on if this is a good deal or not? I feel like it would be good for a project bike.

This is actually how I got my xr250r. A guy was selling for $800 and I got him down to $500 because of a terrible noise in the engine. Turned out to be timing chain needed to be replaced. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so if this bike does have rod bearings out I feel confident after doing some research and getting a fsm for it I can do the work. Thanks for your time!

This is just my personal opinion but a bike like this with internal engine component issues can turn into quite the money pit depending on the issue and you honestly can pick up a more modern aluminum frame yz450 for around 2300-2800 bucks or less if you find a great deal. I am just speaking from experience, my buddy thought he got a great deal on an older 450 by trading his yz250 and after tear down found out it needed, full top end and bottom end rebuild. Needless to say he parted most of it out and now rides an 08 yz450f that he got for the low low price of 2300. 

• billygildark5007

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:49 PM

Used bikes are always sketchy. Never know what another owner did cheaply to make it start when you get there.
If you can pull the clutch and flywheel cover you can kinda feel for play in crank bearings.
Normally a bike like that in Craigslist doesn't have a title either.
Worst case be prepared to spend $800-1500ish rebuilding what you don't know. If you can't rebuild yourself double those $.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • UncleLuke

Posted February 03, 2016 - 12:48 PM

I would pass, too old and too many hours on that old bike

• Goforaride

Posted February 03, 2016 - 01:34 PM

I recently saw a 2011 rmz450 for $800 with blown top end. I personally wouldn't pay more than $500 for a rolling chasis

• Madmike84

Posted April 09, 2016 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for your replies guys. Sorry for being 2 months late getting back to you. I did let it go. Going to keep an eye out for something better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.