03 YZ450 Low on compression? New to 4 strokes.

No replies to this topic
  • bsr1st

Posted January 29, 2016 - 07:55 PM

The story: I've bought a yz back in October for a nice 400$, in remarkably good condition. Has a high comp piston kit, acerbis XL tank, and suspension already set to me. Only had carb problems, and the fact the shifter oil seal is pinched a bit to where it drips a little.

So what I've done to it: cleaned the carbs, put a new hot starter billet and plunger in the carb since they where both snapped and dethreadded, had to redo the right side crank covers gasket after it blew it, leaker oil tremendously, and just rode it around a fair bit. Probly between the range of 10-20 hours, maybe 3 of those hard use on a MX track (keep in mind, bit of a beginner, so I was not really forcing it like a pro. Couldn't even clear a table top hahah) the rest being rode around a bit fast on trails. Gently used compared to most MX bikes

THE PROBLEM: When I got the bike, it seemed to be unbearable to kick. Onnce the compression stroke was hit, the entire bike would Bob trying to get past it. Now in the present, its equivalent to my 250 2stroke that puts out 180 psi flat in the required kickingforce.

THE ACTUAL DAMN QUESTION: so could it be just the hi comp piston kit breaking in? The prev owner( trust worthy and true, close friend of mine for around 7 years) said it didn't have many hours on the new top end, especially since he moved after rebuilding the bike and rode it little. Keep in mind as well, the bike still has the stupid amount of torque and power from when I first got it runnning

Any other little bits and pieces of help about this bike would be awesome BTW, kinda new to it.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.