Electric fan install 07 wr450?

7 replies to this topic
  • bigmatt25

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:12 PM

I have an 07 wr450, it tends to heat up quickly on some slower technical riding. I want to install an electric fan to help airflow and keep it running cooler. Has anyone done this? I also have an Ims desert tank and radiator supports so room is small between tank and radiator? Any thoughts?

• GuyGraham

Posted January 28, 2016 - 11:10 PM

Cooling fan from a pc but it shouldnt really be required.
Is your bike jetted properly as overheating isnt normal as long as you are moving

• motosinko805

Posted January 28, 2016 - 11:38 PM

I put a pc fan on my rmz. Was $25 and worked well. Just buy a switch from eBay for a couple bucks, get the highest rated 12v pc fan you can find and zip-ty to the radiator and you're done

• bigmatt25

Posted January 29, 2016 - 08:08 AM

Jetted properly.... Well, that's always been a question. We did re-jet the bike right after buying and opening the air box and replacing exhaust. The jetting was recommended by a Yamaha dealer as similar to the full kits. Said the combination has been working great. If moving at speeds, does not seem to be an issue. But through some sandy hill climbs, or more often very slow rocky climbs (with some falls and stalls mixed in) it just starts cooking. Been an issue for a bit now.
I ride with a friend with the identical bike, with identical upgrades, and his seems to do the same. Neither one of us are fans of the amount of heat we see. We are in the process now of having the top ends replaced on both bikes, and just looking into options to help it stay in a better range.
Have also considered taking to a shop and having professional dial in jetting too.
Keep thinking a fan could help in that very slow moving terrain that I seem to find myself in more often than not. The issue with the fan I thought would be the tight clearances between the tank and radiator

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motosinko805

Posted January 29, 2016 - 06:19 PM

They fit. Just put it at the bottom of the radiator on the left side.

• still2smokin

Posted January 29, 2016 - 07:09 PM

What you want is a SPAL 4 inch pusher fan .

Search on Amazon and I think they are 42-45 bucks .

they have pusher and puller versions ,  waterproof and move tons more air

than any PC fan its size , no comparison really to any PC fan .

I originally bought the puller version but it wouldn't fit between the radiator and oversize

Acerbis tank so I went with the pusher and mounted it to/in my Devol Rad guards on the front .

Would post a pic of how I mounted mine but photobucket is down . 

Damn thing moves so much air my knee will get warm from the heat it pulls off the

radiator and pushes past the holes in the rad shrouds  . 

41Au0pwflhL._SX425_.jpg

Doesn't pull too many amps and works great .  I wired it to a switch on the bars and hit it

when I have been doing a lot of slow stuff or the temp lights illuminate on the Vapor  .  

PC fans will not last very long...... guaranteed .

Edited by still2smokin, January 29, 2016 - 07:10 PM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 29, 2016 - 10:41 PM

^Do you run yours through a relay, or direct wire power source to switch?
My father in law gave me a pretty beastly fan for my WR, will barely fit as a pusher - he uses them in cooling kits he makes for Harleys and sells to other guys. I'm gonna come up with something to mount it up on my bike this summer.

• still2smokin

Posted January 29, 2016 - 11:05 PM

^Do you run yours through a relay, or direct wire power source to switch?
My father in law gave me a pretty beastly fan for my WR, will barely fit as a pusher - he uses them in cooling kits he makes for Harleys and sells to other guys. I'm gonna come up with something to mount it up on my bike this summer.

Just a switch to the battery .

20140621_230841_zps2d22e25a.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.