Purchasing a DRZ400S, have a few questions :)

Hi, and thanks for any help and suggestions!

I've decided to move from street riding into dual-sport and offroad, simple stuff, nothing too gnarly (yet). DRZ400S seems perfect. Tough to find out here, though.

Found a local DRZ for sale, from a real nice fellow, that I'm seriously considering- some help with a few questions I had would be great!

About the bike:

2004 DRZ400s, about 12K miles

New-ish tires, with old also, about 50%

Appears to have some serious mods by previous owner, which seller hadn't listed (wasn't aware of?) -

-aftermarket swingarm?

-FMF exhaust

-larger tank (non-locking, dirt style)

-forks look seriously beefy, maybe aftermarket

-aftermarket rear shock, I believe (rear fender was shaved to accommodate reservoir)

-luggage racks on side and rear, plus "Dirty Bagz" small cloth saddlebags

Starts and idles real nice, purrs, revved fine. Didn't have time for a test ride.

Seller asking $2400. Now, I'd jump on that in a second, except he mentioned one issue: carbs need cleaning, consistently, if left sitting over a few weeks and not running, unless using only non-oxygenated (?) fuel.

Now, all my bikes, from 1988 Honda Hawk to a 2013 SYM Wolf, have sat over winter (one, a '96 Nighthawk, literally IN the winter), and started right up, no carb cleaning needed, ever. I get that sitting sucks for a carb, but this reminds me too much of a friend's bike, which has the same-ish issue, and as such he never, ever rides it. Too much of a pain for him to start it, warm it, clean it, etc.

Interestingly, he said it's fine if he runs non-oxygenated gas in it, and seafoam sometimes, but that's not right...a simple bike like this should just work. I mean, all mine always have.

Am I overthinking this? Seems like a very nicely modified bike, for a good price, but I do not want a bike that requires constant maintenance, futzing, pampering. Tons of reviews/reports/etc tell me the DRZ normally does not require anything special, so I'm inclined to look elsewhere...but what do you think?

Thanks!