Buying a YZ426

8 replies to this topic
  • dirtpaw12

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:24 PM

I'm buying a 01 YZ426 from craigslist. I've seen reviews on this bike and almost all reviews say that these bikes are bulletproof. I would like to know what to look for when I go to buy this bike and what to do. The description says the bike runs good but the price is only $1200. Is that too low for a bike like that? Please help.

• harmetp

Posted January 27, 2016 - 07:02 PM

I have mine for sale, but I'm in IL.  These are not the easiest critters to start so either the hot cam or newer 450 exhaust cam with the auto decompression is a great idea.  Me being a perma-novice, a rekluse clutch might be nice then you won't have to go through the trouble of installing it and adjusting it.  I have not noticed it on my bike, but others will say it will tend to overheat if you just let it sit idling for very long.  As bullet proof as they may be, they can still have issues associated with being pretty high hp for the displacement.  I have not rebuilt mine, but I hear of folks doing regular rebuilds.  I guess it depends on how much use and what type of environment you ride in.  

This is has been my first modern motocross bike and I was amazed.  We even had an XR250 around that seemed pretty competent that felt like a flexi flyer going over bumps (I get all of about 1' of air) compared to the YZ.  I'm only selling mine because I ended up with CRF450 that ran once and not anymore that I'd like to get running and try out.  I can't afford to have too many toys or sometimes none.  

• UncleLuke

Posted January 28, 2016 - 07:30 AM

I'm buying a 01 YZ426 from craigslist. I've seen reviews on this bike and almost all reviews say that these bikes are bulletproof. I would like to know what to look for when I go to buy this bike and what to do. The description says the bike runs good but the price is only $1200. Is that too low for a bike like that? Please help.

I would def pass on a 15 year old bike. You are going to have to put money into it either way and still have a 15 year old bike.

Go with the 06 or newer

• harmetp

Posted January 28, 2016 - 07:50 AM

Uncle is right, and you will miss out on fuel injected engines, but also miss out on paying more for what is basically a toy.  I guess it depends on how much you ride and where you are financially.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtpaw12

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:03 AM

Have a 97 yz250 2 smoker for 2 years now best bike I ever had bought it for $700 because it was ugly and got some new plastics that make it look like a 2014

Edited by wesley309, January 28, 2016 - 01:21 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:04 AM

The YZ426 was a fabulous bike when it was new, and even for several years after the 450 came out.  They still can be a great ride, I mean they're still everything that they were, but there is not as much part support for them as there once was.  OEM parts are hard to find in stock and have gone up in price, while support in the aftermarket is almost non-existent.  Because of this, if you buy one, you should plan to ride it as is for what it is, and not plan to buy a bunch of mods and/or bling parts for it, as that will prove disappointing.  

• dirtpaw12

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:17 AM

The only bike we have over a 01 is a ttr 230 and it's been a great bike but rear spokes broke after about 3 years and sat up for about 8 months and this christmas we fixed it up and cleaned the carb and changed the oil and this that and the third but still has trouble starting on a cold day

• harmetp

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:06 PM

Are you under 13 years old?

He might be, but it's likely he is younger and not over weight like me.  2 strokes are great bikes and really light.  We have an RM80 that is a real hoot until it stops running and won't start.  For me though the 4 stroke MX bike got me on an off road bike.  There is nothing like readily available torque with a great suspension (can't imagine how much better newer bikes would be). 

• dirtpaw12

Posted January 28, 2016 - 12:15 PM

What are y'all talking about?

Edited by wesley309, January 28, 2016 - 12:22 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.