02 WR426 Ticking when moved around in neutral w engine off

Yamaha WR450F Yamaha WR426F Yamaha YZ426F Yamaha WR400F

1 reply to this topic
  • Alwaats

Posted January 25, 2016 - 10:33 PM

Hey Guys, i've noticed a ticking noise when i'm moving my bike around. It's quite loud and i thought it was just the chain on front sprocket but on closer inspection the sound does not match the rotation of sprocket tooth/chain so it really must be coming from the sprocket shaft inside the gearbox. Having never had this box apart and facing a mammoth task if i do so, would anyone have some advice or history with this? is it normal? wear and tear and to be ignored? or is it undercutting/mis-alignment of gears and about to grenade on me?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2016 - 01:41 PM

IF the ticking happens in neutral while pushing the bike, and more closely matches the frequency at which the output shaft makes a full revolution than anything else, it is likely that there is a problem with the 4th or 5th gear pairs, as those two are splined to the output shaft, and are the only things turning in the gear box under those conditions.  The problem might be a broken tooth, or it might be a bent shift fork allowing one of the two gears to strike its neighbor as it turns.

If you remove the clutch, you can then turn the main shaft by hand and try the noise in neutral and in both 4th and 5th to see if you can further isolate it before the tear down.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Kickstarter Noise by JohnClaude

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

The Teanaway is no BS! by Nuklhed

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

05 wr450 oil leaking from fuel tank mounting hole by gee-tee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 0 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.