Rekluse for an 08 yz450f

6 replies to this topic
  • Ryno221

Posted January 25, 2016 - 08:06 PM

I'm looking at getting a rekluse clutch but I'm unsure which one would be the best for me. I'm racing harescrambles and motocross. Any ideas?

• Truck216

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:10 AM

I ran the exp 3.0 ($399 just the ring) it worked great didn't have any problems after I set it up

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2016 - 09:34 AM

The 3.0 is, IMO, an OK choice for a recreational rider.  The negatives are that you lose the equivalent of one friction plate worth of lining area (15% of the clutch), and the lever feel is harder than stock because of heavier springs used to offset the loss.  Another is that the release at idle is entirely dependent on the cable adjustment, which can change with clutch heat, particularly if using low cost replacement plates rather than OEM Yamaha, Rekluse or another premium plate.  The bike can be bump started, with the setup, but only if a temporary readjustment to the cable is made.  Some say this clutch is fine, no complaints, others have had durability problems.

The high end option of the Core EXP is the best clutch of the three offered, but it's expensive.  However, it's also a full racing grade clutch designed to use a full compliment of plates, including a boss, pressure plate, and deeper cover for clearance.  The cable adjustment is important, of course, but the release clearance is adjusted at the pressure plate, and holds a setting much better.  Lever feel is close to normal stock feel, which a lot of people like.  Not sure if the clutch can be easily set up for bump starts, but even if so, it's normally not capable of it.

The Z-Start Pro is $170 less than the Core EXP, and is regarded by many to have the best engagement action of the three for off-road use (smoother, more controllable).  The lever feel is unnaturally light (seriously a one finger deal) and some don't care for that, but the fact is that there's really not a lot of need to ever bother with the lever anyway.  There is no means by which the bike can be bump started with a ZSP clutch. 

I run the Z-Start on my YZ450 in the desert, and the thing works really well, even when the bike wanders onto an MX course.  Frankly, an auto clutch isn't for everyone, but if you learn to use what it does to your advantage, it can be the best thing since sliced bread.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ryno221

Posted January 27, 2016 - 01:42 PM

So that narrows it down to the z start pro and the core 3.0. Either one will prevent the bike from stalling correct?

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2016 - 01:54 PM

Not 100% entirely, but when it's set up correctly, either will make it a very rare occurrence when grabbing the rear brake.  It will virtually eliminate stalling at low speeds under power, with the only exception being sudden throttle chops if you have you idle set too rich.

• colerlone

Posted January 29, 2016 - 06:42 AM

I have a z start pro on my 08 yz450f and kfx450r and I love it. I broke my hand a couple years ago and I like the light lever pull my hand doesn't fatigue nearly as fast. it's tunable also, not sure how you can tune the exps. I had a exp 2 on a kx250f for a while and I liked it, but I couldn't tell if it was slipping under load or just not engaging super quick

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2016 - 07:04 AM

Both EXP's are tuneable by the same means as the Z-Start Pro is; changing springs and weights.  With the EXP everything is internal in the ring, though. Takes longer to make changes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.