2016 WR450F for street use

11 replies to this topic
  • redferdaze

Posted January 24, 2016 - 05:18 PM

Does anyone have an idea of how much the service intervals will increase for the new WR?  I know the new YZ, YZFX and WR all have pretty much the same engine now, and the YZ manual calls for new piston etc. every 12.5 hrs.  Obviously most people would never need to do that...just curious how much maintenance the new bike will require, and speculating on long term reliability.

I will be picking up a 16 or leftover 15 in about a month and plating/setting it up for supermoto.  I plan on swapping back and forth between sumo/dirt set ups. I'm researching the 2014+ YZ for street use in the meantime, just curious if anyone knew.

• Super_Davee

Posted January 25, 2016 - 06:23 AM

I have nothing helpful to add, other than i'll let you know how mine holds up on the street. :thumbsup:  I should have it in my garage by this Friday.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 25, 2016 - 09:29 AM

It's the most durable offroad engine made so you can't choose a better bike for DS or Motard use.

Does anyone have an idea of how much the service intervals will increase for the new WR?  I know the new YZ, YZFX and WR all have pretty much the same engine now, and the YZ manual calls for new piston etc. every 12.5 hrs.  Obviously most people would never need to do that...just curious how much maintenance the new bike will require, and speculating on long term reliability.

I will be picking up a 16 or leftover 15 in about a month and plating/setting it up for supermoto.  I plan on swapping back and forth between sumo/dirt set ups. I'm researching the 2014+ YZ for street use in the meantime, just curious if anyone kne

• Super_Davee

Posted January 25, 2016 - 11:22 AM

It's the most durable offroad engine made so you can't choose a better bike for DS or Motard use.

I've been trying to find further info that supports this. Do you have any links to a rebuild/teardown on this engine? Just searching for reading material

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 25, 2016 - 01:47 PM

I've been trying to find further info that supports this. Do you have any links to a rebuild/teardown on this engine? Just searching for reading material

What specifically do you want to know.

You can google just as fast as me!

I have owned (3) WR's all with over 400+ hours on the stock crank, with mulitple pistons.

The Transmission sometimes needs gear or two replaced at 600 hours, but it ALL depends on how you ride it and how you maintain it.

PM GrayRacer513 if you want all the info on the Yamaha motor quality for the last decade.

Suffice to say it is THE most reliable dual sport type bike ever made, and I am including Honda XR's from 1985 on....

• stevethe

Posted January 25, 2016 - 01:48 PM

I don't think a 15 or 16 would be rebuilt yet. All the years really haven't changed much on durability. They are very durable bikes built street legal in other countries.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Super_Davee

Posted January 25, 2016 - 02:22 PM

I have owned (3) WR's all with over 400+ hours on the stock crank, with mulitple pistons.

The Transmission sometimes needs gear or two replaced at 600 hours, but it ALL depends on how you ride it and how you maintain it.

PM GrayRacer513 if you want all the info on the Yamaha motor quality for the last decade.

Suffice to say it is THE most reliable dual sport type bike ever made, and I am including Honda XR's from 1985 on....

I guess i'm only looking for reassurance that the new reverse head is a solid platform. I know they have had great success in the 250 supercross bike, just wasnt sure about the 450cc.

I don't think a 15 or 16 would be rebuilt yet. All the years really haven't changed much on durability. They are very durable bikes built street legal in other countries.

Hoping so!

• redferdaze

Posted January 25, 2016 - 05:44 PM

My question was specifically for maintenance and reliability for the new WR engine, which they have been running on the YZ since 14 (I believe...this will be my first Yamaha).  I know the old engine was super reliable, which I am nervous about taking a risk on the 16

• stevethe

Posted January 25, 2016 - 06:12 PM

My question was specifically for maintenance and reliability for the new WR engine, which they have been running on the YZ since 14 (I believe...this will be my first Yamaha).  I know the old engine was super reliable, which I am nervous about taking a risk on the 16

There is no reason to be nervous Yamaha has been making street and dirt motorcycles a long time. Cranks are cranks pistons are Pistons cams are cams. They also make very nice musical instruments. My Yamaha piano hasn't needed one valve adjustment yet.

• redferdaze

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:38 AM

Stevethe how do you like the 16 compared to a 12-15? My next issue is whether I want to spend extra to get the 16, or buy a leftover 15. Pretty sure I can get a 15 for 6.5-7k OTD, vs probably 8.5-9k OTD for a 16...this would give me extra money to start saving for a yz250 :D

• stevethe

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:05 AM

Stevethe how do you like the 16 compared to a 12-15? My next issue is whether I want to spend extra to get the 16, or buy a leftover 15. Pretty sure I can get a 15 for 6.5-7k OTD, vs probably 8.5-9k OTD for a 16...this would give me extra money to start saving for a yz250 :D

Hum hum hum I didn't get into the 12-15's. They may be a good bike but I believe the 16 is a real new generation for the better. Way more power, easier clutch, the bike even starts in gear and so forth.

• redferdaze

Posted January 27, 2016 - 09:14 AM

Hum hum hum I didn't get into the 12-15's. They may be a good bike but I believe the 16 is a real new generation for the better. Way more power, easier clutch, the bike even starts in gear and so forth.

Yeah I've ridden my buddy's 2012 sumo and it is sweet, but I agree it will be hard to pass up the newest gen. A 16 would end up serving as both a street and trail bike, but the 15 would be strictly street, with a 2006+ used YZ counter part full time dirt or track bike. Decisions man!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.