06 YZ450f suspension help

6 replies to this topic
  • tmeyer37

Posted January 24, 2016 - 02:50 PM

I ride by 450 100% on trails and have installed race tech springs in the front to match my weight. The previous owner says that the forks and shock were also valved prior to him getting it so I have zero reliable info on what has really been done. My issue is with the forks, this time of year and the trails I ride are real choppy right now with small sharp braking bumps and water ruts and after about 5 minutes my arms turn to jello to the point where I can barely twist the throttle

I know part of this is me and my poorly out of shape self but the fork feels really harsh on these small bumps. My first thought is to slow down the rebound, but I would love some insight in what direction I should head with this. I really don't want to sink money into the forks right now but I may have to re-valve them. 

Also when sitting with no loud the front forks sag about an inch which I have never noticed before, my buddies 08 yz450f does the same thing so I think it is normal but unsure. 

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:11 PM

Small chop requires backing off of both the compression and the rebound.  If the previous owner had it set up for MX, you may want to try opening the compression damping all the way up and tighten them down as needed.  Rebound won't need that much, but the fork needs to be able to recover from one hit fast enough to take the next one at close to the same extension.  

• tmeyer37

Posted January 25, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Small chop requires backing off of both the compression and the rebound.  If the previous owner had it set up for MX, you may want to try opening the compression damping all the way up and tighten them down as needed.  Rebound won't need that much, but the fork needs to be able to recover from one hit fast enough to take the next one at close to the same extension.  

Thanks Gray, The previous owner was older and only road trails and I believe the owner before him was the same as far as I can tell because of how the bike was set up. WR tank, Rekluse, Bark Busters, Kickstand, but who knows what he did to the suspension. This is one of the draw backs to buying a used bike. Hopefully I can get it dialed in with the clickers, I know changing the springs made a pretty big difference in feel of the forks. I'm also on a mission to get in better shape because all the suspension in the world wont help with a big gut. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • UncleLuke

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Gray, The previous owner was older and only road trails and I believe the owner before him was the same as far as I can tell because of how the bike was set up. WR tank, Rekluse, Bark Busters, Kickstand, but who knows what he did to the suspension. This is one of the draw backs to buying a used bike. Hopefully I can get it dialed in with the clickers, I know changing the springs made a pretty big difference in feel of the forks. I'm also on a mission to get in better shape because all the suspension in the world wont help with a big gut. 

Someone correct me if I am wrong but most heavier "trail" riders mod MX bikes with heavier spring rate springs but at the same time LIGHTER valving.

Have you cracked up your forks to install the springs? Did the valve shim stacks look stock/bolts peened from the factory? 

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:11 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong but most heavier "trail" riders mod MX bikes with heavier spring rate springs but at the same time LIGHTER valving.

You are.  If you were respringing a bike heavier for the same weight rider, that would be apt to be true, but reworking for a heavier rider, not so much.  Trail riders in general though do use less damping than MX setups need.

• tmeyer37

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:52 AM

Have you cracked up your forks to install the springs? Did the valve shim stacks look stock/bolts peened from the factory? 

I did put the new springs in myself but that was like 6 months ago, I did not look at the valving or anything just swapped out the springs. I am assuming it is valved for a lighter rider. I am gonna try using the clickers to soften up the comp and rebound and go from there. 

• gatemaster3

Posted February 03, 2016 - 12:07 AM

speed up the rebound and soften the compression

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.