426F Diet Plan

25 replies to this topic
  • Peenton

Posted March 08, 2002 - 03:30 PM

I'd really like to trim weight off my 2000 426. What are the biggest things that come to mind to do to reduce weight? My bike is practically stock. Short of replacing everything with big dollar carbon fiber$ What are some practical weight reduction items? Pipe? Wheels? Quit giving her beer? :)

Thanks for any advice!!!

• RichB

Posted March 08, 2002 - 04:08 PM

The easiest and cheapest thing to do is for you to lose some weight!

• G-Man

Posted March 08, 2002 - 04:13 PM

"Short of replacing everything with big dollar carbon fiber$ What are some practical weight reduction items? Pipe? Wheels?"

This is a contradiction and not possible, it will cost you big $$ to reduce weight. IMHO not worth it, concentrate on better conditioning, riding technique, and fresh rubber. Also for moto, only put enough gas in to finish a race. Fuel weighs a lot and it's up high.

Quit giving YOURSELF beer! LOL

G-Man

• dirtdad

Posted March 08, 2002 - 04:31 PM

G-man is right; however, if you feel you must shed pounds from your bike check out the Dubach wet sump conversion kit. According to the Dubach's, it's going to cost around $150. and shed around 3 pounds. All the weight is reduced up high also. Not a bad diet for the cost IMO. If you want more info just go to the link at the top of the page.

• Peenton

Posted March 08, 2002 - 06:06 PM

Thanks to everybody except RichB for calling me fat. I happen to be in shape! Round is a shape! My next race I'll just stay at home maybe my bike will win.

Thanks to everybody....so far. Maybe someone has a diet for MY BIKE. LOL :)

• Weezer_#_1

Posted March 09, 2002 - 02:42 PM

Buy a 250F.....way lighter.....seems that way anyhow.

• bullitboy

Posted March 09, 2002 - 03:04 PM

Truly weight costs money. GYT-R has some cool stuff. Dubach also. To get major gains you will have to change several things. Unfortunately there is no one major change to loose a bunch at once.
Titamium fasteners, Dubach's wet sump, carbon fiber parts, airbox, etc..

There have been a couple of posts where I remember seeing a wish list of weight reducing items. Do a search and check it out. Later

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 10, 2002 - 05:18 AM

Remove the Seat and replace with a towel, Drill a whole bunch of 1 inch holes in both front a rear Fenders. Remove thatspringy thing stuck on the Swing Arm that makes it go up and down and weld a solid peice of 1" steel rod from the Swing Arm just under were the Seat used to be. Take off the Disc Brakes, Clutch lever, Front Brake Lever. This should shed about 50 pounds

MAking Friends everywhere I go.

Also back off on the Cheetos and Beer, start a traing program

• AK-thumper

Posted March 10, 2002 - 05:25 PM

CF Airbox/airboot 2 lbs
Ti Shock spring 2 lbs
Wet Sump conversion 2-3 lbs
DSP Ti pipe 2 lbs
Ti bolts and axles 1-2 lbs

These are the only ones that make much difference without removing functionality from the bike. You have to watch what aftermarket goodies you use as well.

nothing cheap except the Wet Sump previously mentioned, which probably isn't a great idea unless you have your own mechanic to do all the maintenance. If you have a day job keep the extra liter of oil.

Next tribal council I'm votin' for Ego

• DaveJ

Posted March 10, 2002 - 10:48 PM

Peeton,

Weight reduction is done at a cost. One of either reliability or dollars, or both.

The big stuff is air box, wet-sump, ti/carbon exhaust, ti spring, bolts and axles.

The ti spring is a good investment since they never wear out and can be transferred to nearly any late model bike of similar weight.

Mag hubs offer the least return, but it's an option.

Carbon fiber forks guards are also a great idea since they reduce both overall and sprung weight.

In addition to this, here's what I've done. I'll note what's common on the factory bikes.

Removed the fork guard guides, (common).

Removed the front brake line cover, (common).

Removed the front and rear rim locks (use rim screws).

Removed the valving in the gas cap, (common).

Trim the outer edge of the front and rear fender.

Trim the inner edge of the rear fender.

Removed the rear brake cover, (common).

Removed the rear caliper cover, (common).

Removed the metal tabs on the rear caliper holder that held on the covers, (common, or replace with mag unit).

Removed the rear brake reservoir.

Removed rear master cylinder guard, (common).

Replaced the metal chain guard with a carbon unit, (common).

Replaced the skip plate with a plastic one, (build it yourself). Zip tie to attach.

Zip tied the connection from air box to carb.

Removed front chain guard, (common).

Removed valve stem nuts.

Run less fuel.

Removed throttle cable cover.

Removed the steel end-cap on the e-series exhaust in spark arrestor mode.

Ti foot pegs (besides, the fatter stance is well worth it and if you shop around, you can get them for a great price). Common.

Removed the front brake line route that bolts to the forks and use a traditional holder set-up. Check out the pro bikes, (common).

Run a CR router line, (common).

Removed the protective coating on the rear brake line.

Removed all rubber boots on bar mounted brake and clutch assemblies, (oddly enough, this actually keeps things cleaner). Common when using aftermarket levers.

Other than that, some riders will drill the bottom of the seat cushions, especially in the areas where you really don't apply your full weight.

And if you really wanted to, you could remove the two rear side panels. Looks funky, but have you ever felt how much these things weight?

So...as you can see, some of this stuff is a bit extreme, and you really risk reliability with some of these mods.

And of course, none of this really compares to rider skill when you want to go faster.

Probably doesn't do much for re-sale value either.

DaveJ

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdad

Posted March 11, 2002 - 03:53 AM

DaveJ, good info except for one thing. the weight of the fork guards is un-sprung weight, not sprung as it is below the suspension. Just like wheels, tires and axles.

• DaveJ

Posted March 11, 2002 - 11:13 AM

DirtDad,

Does this mean I have drain bamage?

(thanks for the correction)

DaveJ

• Shawn_Mc

Posted March 11, 2002 - 12:50 PM

The way I see it, everybody including myself, that owns a YZ400/426 married a fat girl. She's good to ya, you love her, fairly symbiotic. Problem now is she's fat. IF ya think she's too fat, divorce is your only real answer, unless your independtly wealthy. Most of us mortals dont have an extra $4500 to sink into a $5300 motorcycle trying to make it skinny. Especially when you can buy a Honda for $6300, sink $450 in a triple clamp and have a bike that can win a national event as it sits. I love my big blue fat girl.

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 11, 2002 - 02:29 PM

Man Oh Man Oh Man

Were would you all be 20 years ago, Oh my 40 incher (Thats 750cc) is to heavy oh my, the BSA Goldstar shakes the bleeping wee-wee off. Oh my I only have 3 inches of Travel in my DT1. Cheeza Lauiza, stop whinning, next your gonna want cheeze with that whine. Do me a favour go ride sombodies XL350 or a 1996 or older XR, then come back and tell me that Fat Lady is to much to Handle.

GAD I am Surrounded by debri, I knew I had to Rise above it all , or Drown in My Own ****

• dirtdad

Posted March 11, 2002 - 05:15 PM

Ego, The last bike I rode regularly prior to this was a 1974 Hodaka 125 Super Combat! I like my YZF just fine.

• DaveJ

Posted March 11, 2002 - 09:33 PM

All,

There is something to be said for an attitude that looks for news ways of doing things.

Yes, back in the 80's I rode everything from RMs, XTs, TTs, yellow YZs, and if you go back even further, even a Hodaka, Indian, XR75 and a few things powered by lawn mower motors. All heavily modified for more suspension, more power, and less weight. Many of these bikes I carried up-hill, both ways, in the snow, on my way to school.

However, unless you ride the YZF for the purpose of fetching firewood, it's worth it to throw a few bucks at it, get creative and learn a little.

Besides, it gives us something to talk about.

DaveJ

• Shawn_Mc

Posted March 12, 2002 - 08:14 AM

I'll agree with throwing a "few" bucks at my YZ. If you asked my wife, I throw way too many at it. But the case remains the same, the amount of money required to get big blue down to say 225# or so is horrendous. The frustrating thing to me about it is, most of the problem is "lazy" engineering through poor hardware choises. Things like an exhaust pipe that runs in front of the oil filter. Ya gotta ask, who was out sick when that got signed off? Dont get me wrong I love my big fat blue girl, but sometimes........

• UNCHeelYeah

Posted March 17, 2002 - 02:51 AM

Here's a thought...not a new one. I stopped drinking 3 beers a night, started watching my fat intake, and started playing full-court pickup basketball. In 6 months I have lost 22 lbs., I am now in size 32 waist jeans, and I'm 34 y.o., 6' tall (175 lbs). I can breathe easier, move quicker, and my stamina is vastly improved. It does seem that I have a slightly harder time muscleing the bike around now, but I bought it to ride, not to push (I only do that as I load her up). Overall, it saved me money to lose weight, and the benefits are 22 lbs. Before: Rider & bike = 447 lbs. After: Rider & bike = 425 lbs. The difference is noticeable.

• MikeOK

Posted March 17, 2002 - 05:06 PM

UNCHeelYeah for president...

dirtdad for attorney general...

EgoAhole for ambassador to Iraq! :)

• dirtdad

Posted March 17, 2002 - 05:27 PM

uh...I don't get it!? :) does that disqualify my appointment as Attorney General?

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.