Baja Designs YZ 400/426/450 General Discussion

Brand Baja Designs Yamaha YZ400 Yamaha YZ426F Yamaha YZ450F

52 replies to this topic
  • Baja Designs

Posted January 21, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Hello YZ 400/426/450 Owners,

Bailey here with Baja Designs.  We recognize ThumperTalk as one of the go-to sources for information on the Yamaha YZ 400/426/450.

We would like this thread to be a General Discussion area for members and guests to discuss Dual Sport Kits (DSK), Lights, and Lighting Acessories based upon stock and modified charging systems.  Please Post up if you have any questions or comments YZ 400/426/450 related! 

Thanks!

• Nik_Yz400

Posted February 03, 2016 - 12:21 PM

Bailey here with Baja Designs. We recognize ThumperTalk as one of the go-to sources for information on the Yamaha YZ 400/426/450.
We would like this thread to be a General Discussion area for members and guests to discuss Dual Sport Kits (DSK), Lights, and Lighting Acessories based upon stock and modified charging systems. Please Post up if you have any questions or comments YZ 400/426/450 related!

Thanks!

Do you offer a replacement stator for a 99 Yz400? I need one to keep battery charged/topped off

• Monk

Posted February 03, 2016 - 12:55 PM

All my questions were answered regarding the Dual XL Squadron light setup. My stock 2015 YZ450F stator can only power on light at 40w, the other will have to be a battery system.

I guess, a good question to ask is which one should be on the battery system and which on should be off the bike?

Explain again why a OnX lightbar with a battery combined with a single XL pro (in a WR headlight mask) wouldn't be equally as good? In terms of simplicity I can leave the XL Pro on all the time and attach the OnX lightbar on when needed...

• Monk

Posted February 03, 2016 - 01:08 PM

This
15900910555_e846d8e7d9_c_zpswlcdljvh.jpg

vs this...
SAM_1988_zpszmyrnhgg.jpg

• Baja Designs

Posted February 11, 2016 - 09:51 AM

Do you offer a replacement stator for a 99 Yz400? I need one to keep battery charged/topped off

We do not offer a replacement stator for the 99 yz400.  For 98-02 we recommend purchasing WR400/426 stator, flywheel, and CDI.   This will boost your output to 130W

• Baja Designs

Posted February 11, 2016 - 10:02 AM

All my questions were answered regarding the Dual XL Squadron light setup. My stock 2015 YZ450F stator can only power on light at 40w, the other will have to be a battery system.

I guess, a good question to ask is which one should be on the battery system and which on should be off the bike?

Explain again why a OnX lightbar with a battery combined with a single XL pro (in a WR headlight mask) wouldn't be equally as good? In terms of simplicity I can leave the XL Pro on all the time and attach the OnX lightbar on when needed...

Your bike can run up to one of our XL Pro Lights.  The problem with going with the dual XL Pro option is the factory charging system will not be able to keep up with 80W total draw.  If you add a battery system You will end up draining the battery in a matter of minutes.  We can setup a Dual XL Sport Setup that will draw a total of 40 Watts.  It is something that can be done fairly easily.  It would be a custom setup that we can build here.

Comparing an XL/OnX setup and XL/XL setup the Dual XL's will provide more output in near field, mid field, and distance.  The larger reflectors in our XL Series lights provide more distance and overall light output. 

Both setups would be a huge improvement over the factory lighting setup.  Let me know if you have any questions!

• Monk

Posted February 11, 2016 - 10:26 AM

Your bike can run up to one of our XL Pro Lights. The problem with going with the dual XL Pro option is the factory charging system will not be able to keep up with 80W total draw. If you add a battery system You will end up draining the battery in a matter of minutes. We can setup a Dual XL Sport Setup that will draw a total of 40 Watts. It is something that can be done fairly easily. It would be a custom setup that we can build here.

Comparing an XL/OnX setup and XL/XL setup the Dual XL's will provide more output in near field, mid field, and distance. The larger reflectors in our XL Series lights provide more distance and overall light output.
Both setups would be a huge improvement over the factory lighting setup. Let me know if you have any questions!

No, we got it all figured out over the phone with Devin... Can't wait for the lights to arrive! $1250cnd pesos made for many extra nights flipping fries...

• GHILL28

Posted February 11, 2016 - 01:03 PM

I have a Squadron Pro http://www.bajadesig...Number=497001WT and I'm wondering if there is a way to mount the thing in a stiffer fashion to the fork tubes?  Going over rough terrain the light bounces a lot.  Aside from that, works killer!

• Baja Designs

Posted February 11, 2016 - 03:04 PM

I have a Squadron Pro http://www.bajadesig...Number=497001WT and I'm wondering if there is a way to mount the thing in a stiffer fashion to the fork tubes?  Going over rough terrain the light bounces a lot.  Aside from that, works killer!

We do have a tecate mount that uses rubber lined metal clamps instead of the full rubber clamp.  It can be found here for $19.95

http://www.bajadesig...ndard-Mount-Kit

This setup greatly reduces any vibration in harsh riding conditions. It will work great with your Squadron Pro setup

600094.jpg

Edited by Baja Designs, February 11, 2016 - 03:06 PM.

• GHILL28

Posted February 11, 2016 - 03:06 PM

Bingo, thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Summit

Posted February 20, 2016 - 05:49 PM

What kit would you recommend for a 2016 450fx for just a basic headlight and a tail light/brake light?

• Monk

Posted February 20, 2016 - 05:58 PM

What kit would you recommend for a 2016 450fx for just a basic headlight and a tail light/brake light?

GHILL28 has the Squadron setup and likes it...

http://www.bajadesig...Number=497001BU

I don't think he runs a tail light though. I run a Polisport unit as its fairly trimmed...

20150207_163354_zpso4nmhs6y.jpg

Edited by Monk, February 20, 2016 - 06:10 PM.

• Baja Designs

Posted February 24, 2016 - 08:40 AM

What type of riding are you doing?  We do have a few options that will work for you based on your intended use for the kit.  

Thanks!

• Summit

Posted February 25, 2016 - 05:20 PM

What type of riding are you doing?  We do have a few options that will work for you based on your intended use for the kit.  
Thanks!

I really just want something close to a stock wr setup, not looking for anything brghter. Don't even use lights just want something that looks legal.

• S.back

Posted February 28, 2016 - 02:40 PM

Question. Finally got a night ride in with squadron pro and the problem I'm having is at low rpm the light flickers. Is this normal? Makes it hard to ride single track with the light flickering. My other question is the directions say to plug harness in on right side next to radiator. On the 16 there is no wire. Is the connector the one going to capacitor?

• Captn Kirk

Posted March 02, 2016 - 06:05 PM

Bailey here with Baja Designs.  We recognize ThumperTalk as one of the go-to sources for information on the Yamaha YZ 400/426/450.

We would like this thread to be a General Discussion area for members and guests to discuss Dual Sport Kits (DSK), Lights, and Lighting Acessories based upon stock and modified charging systems.  Please Post up if you have any questions or comments YZ 400/426/450 related! 

Thanks!

As of tonight, a friend just brought me his 2008 YZ450R and it is a dead spark situation.  Told him that if we end up having to replace the stator, might as well set him up with one of your so he can carry the load of a light on it.  Do you make a stator for this bike?  If so, can you tell me how to validate the OEM stator is faulty before I spend his money?

...................................just pulled the unit apart and my visual inspection uncovers a burnt wire, so I believe the question becomes, what do you have for this model and what upgrade would you suggest if any are available i.e. using near relative components like from the WR, etc?  See attached picture

Attached Thumbnails

• StatorIMG_2169.JPG

Edited by Captn Kirk, March 02, 2016 - 08:36 PM.

• D_Bergstrom

Posted March 06, 2016 - 04:38 PM

Any info on adding a light to the new YZ450FX? Guessing at the minimum it can handle 40 watts like the YZ450R, but hoping that since it has electric start, might be a little more power avaialble.

Doug

• Monk

Posted March 06, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Any info on adding a light to the new YZ450FX? Guessing at the minimum it can handle 40 watts like the YZ450R, but hoping that since it has electric start, might be a little more power avaialble.

Doug

100w available on FX and WR...

• Baja Designs

Posted March 09, 2016 - 03:03 PM

As of tonight, a friend just brought me his 2008 YZ450R and it is a dead spark situation.  Told him that if we end up having to replace the stator, might as well set him up with one of your so he can carry the load of a light on it.  Do you make a stator for this bike?  If so, can you tell me how to validate the OEM stator is faulty before I spend his money?

...................................just pulled the unit apart and my visual inspection uncovers a burnt wire, so I believe the question becomes, what do you have for this model and what upgrade would you suggest if any are available i.e. using near relative components like from the WR, etc?  See attached picture

Unfortunately we do not have anything for the 2008 YZ450R.  1998-02 and 2010-On at the bikes that we have information for.  Nothing in between for these bikes

• Baja Designs

Posted March 09, 2016 - 03:08 PM

Doug

It can definitely run our Squadron Pro!  We are actually working on producing a few Dual Sport Kits for the YZ450FX.  See below:

2010-15 w/ Halogen Light

http://www.bajadesig...Efi-Yz450f-1015

2016 w/ Halogen Light

http://www.bajadesig...250fxyz450fx-16

2016 w/ XL Pro (Pre-Order)

http://www.bajadesig...250fxyz450fx-16

If you are looking to run a simple On/OFF LED Light and Tail, we have this harness:

http://www.bajadesig...and-Yz450f-14on

+ EFI Taillight:

http://www.bajadesig...-Dual-Sport-Kit

+ The desired LED Light of your choice.  (Squadron Sport, Squadron Pro, S2 Pro)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.