01 426 kickstart ceased

14 replies to this topic
  • cobra0702

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Hello everyone, new to TT.
Just bought an 01 YZ426F and the kickstart is ceased up. I have not been able to take anything apart yet to inspect but I plan to do so when I get home. I'm just looking to see if anyone can provide me with some insight and if this is a common issue. Hopefully it's nothing too major and can get it running soon.

• alex_naumov1

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:20 AM

Seized? Or the crazy compression? Did you try kicking it with the decompression lever?

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:59 AM

This can be anything from a seized crank to a jammed up starter gear.  Exploratory surgery is required.

• cobra0702

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Seized? Or the crazy compression? Did you try kicking it with the decompression lever?

I did try pulling the decompression level and it felt like it was working. Could I also try removing the spark plug?

This can be anything from a seized crank to a jammed up starter gear. Exploratory surgery is required.

That's what I figured I was going to need to do

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:09 AM

OK, wait.

You can turn it over with the compression release pulled?  Then nothing mechanical is frozen up.  You cannot expect to be able to kick a healthy YZ426 through its compression stroke without assistance, thus the decomp lever.  The correct procedure is to push (not kick) the starter down until the engine stops against compression.  Hold the starter there, pull the compression release and push the starter down about 1 to 1 1/2" farther and stop.  Release the compression lever, return the starter to the top and kick through the full stroke forcefully but smoothly. 

Watch: http://api.viglink.c...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://api.viglink.c...troke_vid_b.mpg

• cobra0702

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:14 AM

OK, wait.

You can turn it over with the compression release pulled? Then nothing mechanical is frozen up. You cannot expect to be able to kick a healthy YZ426 through its compression stroke without assistance, thus the decomp lever. The correct procedure is to push (not kick) the starter down until the engine stops against compression. Hold the starter there, pull the compression release and push the starter down about 1 to 1 1/2" farther and stop. Release the compression lever, return the starter to the top and kick through the full stroke forcefully but smoothly.

Watch: http://api.viglink.c...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://api.viglink.c...troke_vid_b.mpg

No it did not fully kick it's still seized with the level pulled but I was saying that it felt like the level is working

Edited by cobra0702, January 21, 2016 - 10:38 AM.

• cobra0702

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:16 AM

Previous owner just told me he fired it up one day and when it was warming up it started sputtering and shut off, then would not budge when kicked

Edited by cobra0702, January 21, 2016 - 08:17 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:26 AM

"Seized". 

Probably the rod big end bearing.

• cobra0702

Posted January 21, 2016 - 10:35 AM

"Seized".

Probably the rod big end bearing.

How expensive/ difficult is it to fix that

• cobra0702

Posted January 21, 2016 - 10:49 AM

Okay I just figured out that the bike will not move in gear with the clutch pulled in. It will only roll in neutral. Does this mean the issue is located in the transmission?

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2016 - 02:05 PM

It's pretty typical for the bike to hard to move in gear when not running, so I doubt it.  The crank is a $400 item, and if it need or the trans replacement, the entire engine must be disassembled.

• cobra0702

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:18 PM

So I took the top end off and the cam chain is extremely tight, does anyone know how tight it is supposed to be? There is absolutely no play whatsoever. I am currently stuck with one of the stator plate torx bolts because it was rounded. Does anyone know what material the plate is made of that holds the stator? I might have to weld the torx socket to the bolt to get it out and I am unsure about heat transfer.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:27 PM

Well, that's one approach.  The stator plate is aluminum.  If you're going to use an electric welder, shield the coils from the arc and be sure the stator harness is disconnected.  The plate itself should be alright as long as you don't arc to it.  

There are other ways..

The chain will always seem very tight when it's cold as long as the tensioner is working right. 

• alex_naumov1

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:55 AM

So, how much did you pick this 426 up for?

• cobra0702

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:29 AM

So, how much did you pick this 426 up for?

Paid 700 and other than not kicking it's in really good shape

Edited by cobra0702, January 22, 2016 - 08:31 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.