03 YZ450F Will Have E-Start!

20 replies to this topic
  • vznx1w

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:11 AM

Today my local Yamaha dealer says that he just received a bulletin from the factory regarding the new YZ.

Key points are: 450cc, seperate engine/trans oil, lighter than tbe Red CR450--even with electric start. The bike is to be released in July.

Sounds too good to be true, I wonder how light it would be w/o the e-start? I hope they don't elimate the manual kick start lever like Suzuki did with the DRZ. That way we can take off the battery and starter to save weight.

• Scott_F

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:39 AM

Was it Max Pitts? Call back that Schmo from Kokomo, and tell him you want to see the bulletin. Make a copy, then scan and post it here.

I bet the "bulletin" will suddenly become very hard to find...

• holeshot

Posted March 08, 2002 - 10:49 PM

How logical is it?

If it were lighter than CRF, then let's make a guess that it weighs 232 lbs (with E-start) all fluids , no gas. Remove the battery, starter and starter gears, and you would be down to around 220 lbs, which is probably much lighter than Dubach's bike.

Unless there's some new super secret materials technology - it (the weight) doesn't add up.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: holeshot ]

• dirtdad

Posted March 08, 2002 - 10:55 PM

wouldn't that also put it under the new 4-stroke weight limits that the AMA is proposing?

• vznx1w

Posted March 08, 2002 - 10:56 PM

I agree that it doesn't add up. But, I figured that this is probably due to the usual marketing exaggerations. I expect that it will probably be a few pounds more than the CR, if it really has e-start as standard.

My intent was just to pass along the information--as I heard it. Ultimately, time will tell.

Steve

• Scarylong

Posted March 08, 2002 - 11:13 AM

I know this is just another attempt to get under ththose red guys skin. Must be sleeping. Or they are speechless. :D

That would suck for those guys. Back to wishing again. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 08, 2002 - 11:24 AM

I heard the 03 bike is made of the same material recovered from area 51 crash in New Mexico. It cant be seen becouse of the stealth Technology and it has A.I. (Artificial Intelagence), it learns your shifting habits and crashing habits. It contains a self preservation diagnostic, that simply means when it feels threatened it just stops by ejecting the rider grabing the binders and deploys a anti-hdg )HitDaGround air bag.

• DaveJ

Posted March 08, 2002 - 12:19 PM

FYI - The AMA removed the whole weight rule thing. I guess the EPA had to remind the manufactures to remind the AMA what the future technology of this sport is going to be. Now we know who is in charge.

Electric start? Maybe on a WR. Besides, didn't really see anyone lose a race this year due to a stalled four-stroke. Did I miss it?

In either case, it's obvious that when the 03 roles around, there's not going to be much room for 400/426 chit chat.

Now where did I put that deposit money?

DaveJ

• DPW

Posted March 08, 2002 - 01:27 PM

Wow sounds like a great bike. I hope the Yamaha dealer is right, but I have my doubts. Ferry's bike weights 226 according to MXA. So electric start and weight around 230 should be interesting. I think EgoAhole has it right with the metal from the Area 51 site unless carbon fiber is going to come standard on the bike, some plastic gears, and 4mm fasteners on the bike too. Only time will tell, should be interesting !

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 08, 2002 - 01:36 PM

estart on an MX bike doesn't make sense. An offroad bike (WR) maybe, but an MX bike? I'm not buyin it. ;P

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • h_bomb

Posted March 08, 2002 - 03:19 PM

I hope not?If you cant start it dont buy it? :)

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: h bomb ]

• CRBrandon

Posted March 08, 2002 - 08:26 PM

I had a guy email me a pic of what he claimed was the 03 YZF 450.
If I knew how to post a pic I would.
I'm usually on here under IBWFO but for some reason it won't let me use my login, so I made one for my kid.

D

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 08, 2002 - 08:45 PM

Send the pic to me at
the addr i sent to your pm's at the top of ur page
I will put it on my web page and then pull it from there onto here> That is ( I think )the only way you can do it is to have it on awebpage first!
It would be very interesting to see!

• CRBrandon

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:11 PM

Front of my bike?
Just sent it to you.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: CRBrandon ]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:29 PM

<font color=blue><h3>Don't know 'bout you but it looks like a 426 to me???<font color=red>WITH BOLD NEW GRAPHICS!</h3> :) Posted Image

• CRBrandon

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:45 PM

I know the airbox, and the side plates are different, The swing-arm and linkage are too.
Looks like the rear caliper and master cyclinder are also. It still looks like the frame holds oil though?

D

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image
:D
I don't know about you guys but I see two things different on this bike than the one above.
make that 3
1. different airbox and side panels?
2. Blurry sticker on the rear fender??????
and
3. Notice how the FONT on the 2003 and the rest of the YZ450F seem to be a little distorted???
(sqwashed down as if "overlaid" in a photo program)
I am not disclaiming your info "BRANDON??"
I am sure your friend sent you this pic but where did HE get it?
It is amazing what you can do with "Photoshop"
It wouldn't suprise me if yammy sticks with the same basic layout for at least one more year though. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:58 PM

<font color=red><h3><center>Now if Yammy could just do something like this .......in the $6k range of course!!!! </center><center>And change the color to </center><center><h1><font color=blue>BLUE!</h1></center></h3><center><h1>CR125 w/426F slammed into it!!</h1></center>
<center> :) </center>
Posted Image

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER ]

• reed_YZ426

Posted March 09, 2002 - 01:06 AM

to me it looks like someone just copied and pasted parts of the 2002 YZ250 onto the 2002 yz426. not hard to do in photoshop.

• westladog

Posted March 09, 2002 - 05:04 AM

Competition between Yamahas and Hondas will be great for us! We will have better bikes to choose from in the future.

I don't know much about the 03 YZ 4-stroker but I would agree to some of the previous posts that the weight of the bike will probably be a few pounds more or less that of the Honda 450 since it would be bery close to the AMA minimum weight limit (that sucks). The AMA really sucks when they put a weight limit on these bikes. It gives the manufacturers no development incentives to lower weight of the bikes even more.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.