2009YZ 450 Wanting to raise bars

9 replies to this topic
  • WR450davidt

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:13 PM

My son rides a 2009 YZ450.  He is 6' 2" tall and lean.  Complains the bars are to low.  Feels to bent over. 

We put a set of protaper Wyndam Mids and he still wants higher bars.  Issue is cables!  I don't think I can put a new clamp on to raise the bars because of cable length.  Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions? 

What about lower foot pegs or mounts?  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

• Gaskill

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:27 PM

Man I have a 16 450 and I have same problem and I have the same bars. I haven't found anyone who sells longer cable and I can't seem to find any bar risers either, everyone that I talk to tells me I have get get all my cables made. So pretty much I'm learning to ride bent over. It sucks!

• mtgraves

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:34 PM

You can mod the footpegs yourself easily. There's a thread on here somewhere about modifying Yamaha footpegs to be lower. Also most bar risers will be ok without changing anything with the cables. Just check everything out before riding. I made lower pegs for my 07 and used bar risers. I liked the bar risers with a tall seat best.

• FF3

Posted January 21, 2016 - 11:17 AM

I have the Pro Taper Windham bend with about a 1" bar spacer. I'm 6' 4" and it feels a lot better. I'm not sure if your cables are long enough but I know mine is. Just take the top off of the bar clamps and see if you have room to go up.

• stroker101

Posted January 21, 2016 - 12:41 PM

maybe here.,,,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:37 PM

I personally like the brp sub mount scotts with cr high bends. Raises it quite nicely. And the stabilizer is worth it's weight in gold.

• Ryno221

Posted January 25, 2016 - 07:43 PM

I am 6'5" and had the same issue with my 08 yz450f. At every jump I felt I was going to go head first over the bars. I'm running the Ricky Carmichael high bend fat bars with tusk 30 mm risers. You have to re route the throttle cables to the back side of the handlebars with this configuration bit all the stock cables work. HUGE DIFFERENCE in comfort and confidence!

• UncleLuke

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:42 AM

6'3" and talked to a lot of tall pro's

Consensus is to ride the bike as close to stock as possible. No lower pegs, no tall seat foam and no high risers.

The goal is to keep your center of gravity low and fast in the corners. 

• UncleLuke

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:45 AM

I do rotate my bar forward 1 degree though

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:17 AM

Kevin Windham was a tall pro, as was Pastrana, and the bar bends the popularized are considerably taller and farther forward than the notoriously low OEM YZ bars.  Raising your hand position won't effect CG much at all, and lowering the CG won't do much good if you can't control the bike effectively, or stand over the bike without the bars banging your thighs just above the knee unless you hang back on them. 

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.