Navicular Wrist Fracture

8 replies to this topic
  • firejake69

Posted March 08, 2002 - 06:01 AM

Hey Fellas, I was just wondering if any one has had a navicular wrist fracture. I'm three and half months post fracture, the pins and cast have been out and off for a month and a half. The doc says that im bordering on avascular necrosis. That is when part of the bone dies before new blood vessels grow back to nourish it. I just want to hear some of the outcomes, good or bad. Be safe.

• crazyadam

Posted March 08, 2002 - 06:19 AM

I broke my wrist 2 years ago, Scaphoid in left wrist, and still am not 100%, but I can ride!
My Dr. was alos conserned that the bone would die, because the blood supply was cut off by the large screw he put in my wrist. I used a magnetic device that was supposed to draw blood to the area. It was a coil attached to a 4' cord and batt. pack, like an electro- mag, that I wore on my wrist for 10 hours a day for A YEAR!!!!
He wants me to keep wearing it, but I gave up on it. 10 hrs a day, It got old... and was not really helping bone density. It is sore, and has been for 2 yrs, but it IS getting better, just slowly.

DRINK MILK
:)
GOOD LUCK
AND keep a positive attitude, Knowing it is healing can be the best thing for it!

• thumperman

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:23 PM

i sustained a distal fracture of the right wrist. It required 8 pins and an external fixator. I got the pins out after about 3 months and then went into PT for about 3 months. I am now 2 years post injury and still have problems with the wrist. It feels like a claw and/or carpal tunnel. Painful on a daily basis. Funny though that when I ride it gets better and I forget all about it. Stay in therapy as long as the insurance holds out.

• CRBrandon

Posted March 08, 2002 - 09:33 PM

take baby aspirin daily unless your doc tells you not too. It will let your blood flow better.
Do any re-hab like an animal. Then learn what ibufrofen is before you ride.

D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • VET4STROKER

Posted March 09, 2002 - 05:20 PM

I know how you feel, I broke mine 11 years ago a month before I raced a Millville National. I didn't do anything with the break and rode the national. It hurt and was a constant burning sensation. It was the left wrist and clutching a 500 is hard enough with a healthy wrist! Anyway, it eventually healed by the middle of the next season (would have been much quicker if I would have stayed off it). It's good that you're getting it fixed the right way. I have excess bone growth on mine, it sticks up on my wrist much higher (about an eighth on an inch) than my right wrist. If I bend that wrist for any period of time it cuts off circulation to my hand. I can still ride fine, it's strong but I wish I would have let it heal right. Just wanted to tell you, get it done right and let it heal. Don't make the same mistake I did! Good luck!

• Hurley

Posted March 12, 2002 - 06:04 PM

I broke my left navicular in 1974 in a roadrace. I raced a 250 mile race a few weeks after that and it hurt real bad. The worst was when the race was over and I stopped. The doctor I first went to said I had to wear a short arm cast for about six months and it would probably heal.

I had to race again in 3 1/2 months! Some other racers put me on to a doctor that told me he could fix it in 3 months by bone grafting it. He said my choice was to wait the six months in a cast. It might heal, but if it didn't I would need the bone graft anyway. The other option was to do nothing. He said the pain would eventually subside to some tolerable level. But, when I got to be 40 to 50 years old the chances of having arthritis were almost 100%. He said with the bone graft, I might lose some range of motion, but the chances of arthritis were much less. Plus, I could race in 3 months.

I chose the bone graft. I had to wear a long arm cast for about 2 months, then a short arm one for another month. In 3 months it was healed and I raced a 200 mile roadrace with no problems. It is now 28 years later. I don't have arthritis and the range of motion is as good as the right one. I made the right choice.

I know other guys who went the six months in a cast route and a year later it still didn't heal.

I'd advise the bone graft route, but you need to find a doctor that can give you all the facts. Good luck!

• J_Bone

Posted March 17, 2002 - 01:41 PM

Originally posted by firejake69:
Hey Fellas, I was just wondering if any one has had a navicular wrist fracture. I'm three and half months post fracture, the pins and cast have been out and off for a month and a half. The doc says that im bordering on avascular necrosis. That is when part of the bone dies before new blood vessels grow back to nourish it. I just want to hear some of the outcomes, good or bad. Be safe.

I broke the exact same bone 12 years ago! It took me 6 months before it healed up enough to just ride a bicycle. I went off to college and sold my dirt bike. I Got into Mtn. bikes and had no lingering effects from that injury.
I now ride SX/Motocross and fractured the same wrist just last year, and the navicular injury from the past had no effects!! It's strong!
I used a magnetic device to heal it and I still take calcuim supplements to this day! I might just be one of the lucky ones??

• npuzajr

Posted March 19, 2002 - 06:12 AM

I also broke my Scaphoid 7 years ago. I went to the ER the next day. They took xrays and told me it was just a sprain. 6 months later after a full swim season and alot of pain I went back. Cysts(sp?) had formed between the 2 halves. So there I was in a cast. No pins or graft just a cast. I should have opted for surgery. I had a cast for 6 months and it still didnt heal, so I started using an electric stim machine a couple times a day for 30 min each. Another 6 months later it was healed. It still hurt alot but it was healed. Today it doesnt hurt, but occasionaly I can tell its there.
Moral... go for surgery and get it over with as quickly as possible.

• TooFast

Posted March 22, 2002 - 07:04 AM

Yup, broke my navicular also...took the doctors advice and didn't have surgery and the related blood supply issues....took 6 months in a short cast to heal it completely with no problems over 12 years. I was told this bone gets the least blood of any bone due to the artery goes to the tip of the thumb and back to the navacular ending there. Seems as though you should do anything you can to get more blood to it. Good Luck!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.