2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions

Yamaha WR450F 2012

226 replies to this topic
  • Super_Davee

Posted February 16, 2016 - 10:52 AM

Oil change question, has anyone changed their engine oil by the manual including removing the oil check bolt and draining off any excess and if so what was your sight glass level afterward?

Mine was slightly overfull after doing the oil change by the book. I removed the check bolt, and my oil level was covering 3/4 of the sight glass.

• Macsplace

Posted February 16, 2016 - 11:07 AM

Mine was slightly overfull after doing the oil change by the book. I removed the check bolt, and my oil level was covering 3/4 of the sight glass.

Thanks, mine came from Yamaha slightly above top of glass and when changing 1st time I got 850 ml out so that's what I put back in. Have not removed oil check bolt yet but was wondering what level others had.

Edited by macsplacexployer, February 16, 2016 - 11:20 AM.

• Super_Davee

Posted February 16, 2016 - 12:05 PM

Mine is also plated, wish the weather would warm up enough to get some ride time in.

Nice! I was beginning to think I had the only plated 16 WR lol. 

• Macsplace

Posted February 16, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Nice! I was beginning to think I had the only plated 16 WR lol. 

Lol, hope there will be more. I can already tell the 16 WR is going to be much better than my plated 07 WR.

• Super_Davee

Posted February 16, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Lol, hope there will be more. I can already tell the 16 WR is going to be much better than my plated 07 WR.

I hope so. I never had the chance to ride a 12-15 WR, but i had a 04 WR that was plated a few years back. After the de restricting, and the YZ pipe, its obvious that this bike makes A LOT more power than my 06 450x.

Wheelies are really weird on this bike. You feel balance point MUCH sooner than my 450x. I'm assuming its due to the fuel tank and engine being further back in the chassis. 

• RMK800

Posted February 16, 2016 - 03:12 PM

I hope so. I never had the chance to ride a 12-15 WR, but i had a 04 WR that was plated a few years back. After the de restricting, and the YZ pipe, its obvious that this bike makes A LOT more power than my 06 450x.

Wheelies are really weird on this bike. You feel balance point MUCH sooner than my 450x. I'm assuming its due to the fuel tank and engine being further back in the chassis. 

This bike geometry is totally different compared to older bikes.  The part I was struggling is that you can ride really  up front on this bike. Since the gas is really below the seat.  With older bikes you kinda new when you were to far forward..  When I rode mine the first time, I think I was riding way to far forward.   I kept thinking why I can't get the wheel up as easy as my older WR, and no wonder because I was probably too far forward and with more seat time I'll be able to figure that out.

• stevethe

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:14 AM

Anyone looking for softer seat foam I don't recommend it. Just tried Guts racing extra soft = no good you bottom out on the seat pan. Also tried soft and when it broke in it also went to the seat pan. Back to stock foam = best.

• KennyMc

Posted February 18, 2016 - 07:55 AM

Anyone looking for softer seat foam I don't recommend it. Just tried Guts racing extra soft = no good you bottom out on the seat pan. Also tried soft and when it broke in it also went to the seat pan. Back to stock foam = best.

Have you ever tried a Seat Concepts seat? Much better IMO.

• stevethe

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Have you ever tried a Seat Concepts seat? Much better IMO.

They have a 1" lower seat however it says it's extra firm. Likely due to there isn't a lot of padding there in the first place. My 07' cut seat still feels like a piece of wood in the arse. I think the stock foam isn't bad it just needs a little break in time.

• KennyMc

Posted February 18, 2016 - 09:16 AM

They have a 1" lower seat however it says it's extra firm. Likely due to there isn't a lot of padding there in the first place. My 07' cut seat still feels like a piece of wood in the arse. I think the stock foam isn't bad it just needs a little break in time.

You're also looking to lower the bike through the seat? There "comfort" seat is a bit wider in the back. Much better than the stock seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted February 18, 2016 - 10:42 AM

You're also looking to lower the bike through the seat? There "comfort" seat is a bit wider in the back. Much better than the stock seat.

No potato seats for me.

• Macsplace

Posted February 18, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Have Seat Concepts on my 07 WR and my orange bike, they are super comfortable. I was worried about the look but they fit the lines of the both bikes well. I'm old and lazy so my 16 will be getting one soon.

• Monk

Posted February 18, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Not running the WR but I have a WR headlight mask on my YZF. On Friday I'll be down a Cyclops having their H4, 3600lumen LED light mounted in the shell. It's a $65 bulb (I had to buy a EFI wiring harness which FX/WR owners wont). I'll throw up a short review of it let you know how it turns out. So far it looks like a excellent inexpensive upgrade from the WR bulb...

http://www.cyclopsad...bulb-_p_83.html

• Andrew Puetz

Posted February 18, 2016 - 01:15 PM

Not running the WR but I have a WR headlight mask on my YZF. On Friday I'll be down a Cyclops having their H4, 3600lumen LED light mounted in the shell. It's a $65 bulb (I had to buy a EFI wiring harness which FX/WR owners wont). I'll throw up a short review of it let you know how it turns out. So far it looks like a excellent inexpensive upgrade from the WR bulb...

http://www.cyclopsad...bulb-_p_83.html

I have a 2012 WR.  I want this bulb.  How plug and play is it?

• Monk

Posted February 18, 2016 - 01:31 PM

I have a 2012 WR. I want this bulb. How plug and play is it?

For your bike, maybe 2min to put in...

• 2Speed

Posted February 18, 2016 - 08:02 PM

I'll never use LEDs with active cooling again. The fans WILL fail, and the bulb will melt along with your headlight housing. Find one with passive cooling (looks like flat braided wire). Especially on a dirt bike.

• KennyMc

Posted February 18, 2016 - 10:16 PM

http://www.thumperta...le-as-standard/

• stevethe

Posted February 19, 2016 - 06:51 AM

I'll never use LEDs with active cooling again. The fans WILL fail, and the bulb will melt along with your headlight housing. Find one with passive cooling (looks like flat braided wire). Especially on a dirt bike.

Have you used the Cyclops brand? They show dunking it in a bucket of water and spinning the fan. I bought one for my 07 and never installed it. I might see if I can get it into my 06' model. They do stick out the back more and the wire loom may need to be moved to the side.

Edited by stevethe, February 19, 2016 - 06:51 AM.

• Monk

Posted February 19, 2016 - 12:51 PM

Have you used the Cyclops brand? They show dunking it in a bucket of water and spinning the fan. I bought one for my 07 and never installed it. I might see if I can get it into my 06' model. They do stick out the back more and the wire loom may need to be moved to the side.

On the shop floor tested, this Cyclops bulb unit it killer! So friggin bright and the lens is quite good too! Update more when I get home...

• Monk

Posted February 19, 2016 - 06:18 PM

Holy poop! $60 Cyclops LED, 3600lumen bulb in a stock WR mask...I am well amazed of the performance. Those pillars are about 70ft down my driveway. I really don't think you can go wrong with this setup...

20160219_180723_zpsm8lokxjp.jpg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450f Idle issue by WeekendWarriorz

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 42 reviews
  • Last review by Ptch5636
  • On October 02, 2016
Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

• Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.