2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions

Yamaha WR450F 2012

226 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:20 AM

Your never going to be as light as the KTM equivalent. If you put In a lithium in the WR and same tires sizes as the smaller KTM tires. Your within 10 pounds.

KTM 450 XC-W 257 with fuel.
Yamaha WR450 267 with fuel - battery and tires.

You have to decide if the other factors are worth that 10 pounds like suspension and longevity, etc. I have two brothers and friends and they bleed orange, they always assume everything is atleast 20 pounds heavier then their bikes. It's just not true with these newer bikes.

Edited by RMK800, February 07, 2016 - 09:43 AM.

• Super_Davee

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:40 AM

Did you install the GYTR head?

• stevethe

Posted February 07, 2016 - 09:56 AM

Did you install the GYTR head?

Ahh yes.

• KennyMc

Posted February 07, 2016 - 10:08 AM

Your never going to be as light as the KTM equivalent. If you put In a lithium in the WR and same tires sizes as the smaller KTM tires. Your within 10 pounds.

KTM 450 XC-W 257 with fuel.
Yamaha WR450 267 with fuel - battery and tires.

You have to decide if the other factors are worth that 10 pounds like suspension and longevity, etc. I have two brothers and friends and they bleed orange, they always assume everything is atleast 20 pounds heavier then their bikes. It's just not true with these newer bikes.

Yea, linkage suspension adds ~4 lbs. The SSS suspension difference is worth it when comparing these 2 bikes, IMO.

• JDLowrance

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:49 AM

Question:   Is power everything?   Is it the deciding factor or the primary factor?    Was the 09 lacking in power?

Back when I had my 05, it certainly had more than enough power for this weekend warrior.  I trail rode it, raced it, dual sported it...    Never once did I have the throttle on full lock and it wouldn't push my then 220lb ass with another 20lbs of gear through the deepest sand washed or up the gnarliest hills I was capable of riding.  

I've always thought that problem with the wr's were that they were pigs.  Big, heavy and hard to turn with mediocre brakes.   

I am waiting to pull the trigger on another wr450.   I "assume" that they have pretty much the same amount of power, but wonder if the handling between the 2012 and 2016 is night and day difference?

It is a very big deciding factor for me. @6'2" and 255 plus 20lbs of gear....yeah I want/need more power.

I drank the orange kool-aid a couple of times and won't be doing that again in the foreseeable future. The Yamaha 400/426/450 has proven to be bullitproof throughout my years of desert racing. The build quality and value for money is second none.

After sitting on the bike I think the 2016 would be a better fit for larger guys and any extra power it makes over the 2012-15 would be icing on the cake. And Stevethe with that GYT-R head may have just hit the mother-load.

I may have a very clean 2012 with 32 hours on it for sale pretty soon!

• Motodisiac

Posted February 07, 2016 - 05:39 PM

Today I rode for the first time with GYTR ECU installed. Wow.

If before this bike made very nice mellow power not it's a monster just about everywhere in the powerband. The throttle response is absolutely amazing. I will try to tune the powerband with Yamaha tuner because at times I felt it was hitting a bit too hard when I didn't expect it. Overall I can't wish for more power.

I'm slowly getting used to WR. It's rock stable in fast rock sections. Turns really easy. Front brake is a bit spongy now that my speed increased, stainless lines should solve this issue.

I noticed that I hardly use 5th gear. On some tight single track sections i was actually using 1st gear. I may go 2up with the rear sprocket.

I could see that fuel range is going to be a problem. I want to do a ride in March that requires 120mile range, unless I carry 2.5-3 falling in my backpack, I can't go. IMS 3g is ugly. Not much else out there.

• stevethe

Posted February 07, 2016 - 05:58 PM

Today I rode for the first time with GYTR ECU installed. Wow.
If before this bike made very nice mellow power not it's a monster just about everywhere in the powerband. The throttle response is absolutely amazing. I will try to tune the powerband with Yamaha tuner because at times I felt it was hitting a bit too hard when I didn't expect it. Overall I can't wish for more power.
I'm slowly getting used to WR. It's rock stable in fast rock sections. Turns really easy. Front brake is a bit spongy now that my speed increased, stainless lines should solve this issue.
I noticed that I hardly use 5th gear. On some tight single track sections i was actually using 1st gear. I may go 2up with the rear sprocket.
I could see that fuel range is going to be a problem. I want to do a ride in March that requires 120mile range, unless I carry 2.5-3 falling in my backpack, I can't go. IMS 3g is ugly. Not much else out there.

Not that it will get you what you need but Acerbis makes a .6 gal that goes on the bars and it will suck from there first then the main tank.

• patrick2wd

Posted February 08, 2016 - 01:16 AM

It is a very big deciding factor for me. @6'2" and 255 plus 20lbs of gear....yeah I want/need more power.

I drank the orange kool-aid a couple of times and won't be doing that again in the foreseeable future. The Yamaha 400/426/450 has proven to be bullitproof throughout my years of desert racing. The build quality and value for money is second none.

After sitting on the bike I think the 2016 would be a better fit for larger guys and any extra power it makes over the 2012-15 would be icing on the cake. And Stevethe with that GYT-R head may have just hit the mother-load.

And I have a Rebel dakar kit for that bike..
brand new!

unused,

boxed

ready for shipping..

:jawdrop:

• Chaconne

Posted February 08, 2016 - 05:22 PM

Do you have a number on the HP difference with the 2016?

• Texas2Smoker

Posted February 08, 2016 - 05:41 PM

I would guess around 4-6?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JDLowrance

Posted February 08, 2016 - 05:42 PM

I do not...not even sure if it makes more power than the 12-15s. My 12 easily walks all over my old 2009. Have not ridden a 16 yet but with all the reports coming out that it's an "expert only" machine I would assume that refers to the power.

• stevethe

Posted February 08, 2016 - 05:47 PM

A proper YZ'd 07-11 WR450 is about 48+ RWHP

The 16' YZ450 is suppose to be 57 RWHP

However all Dynos can read differently. But I can tell you from seeing Dyno numbers first hand on a built 07-11 the numbers sound and ride about right.

• stevethe

Posted February 08, 2016 - 05:51 PM

I do not...not even sure if it makes more power than the 12-15s. My 12 easily walks all over my old 2009. Have not ridden a 16 yet but with all the reports coming out that it's an "expert only" machine I would assume that refers to the power.

Your gonna love a 16'. With a pipe, good air filter and comp. ECU they really rip. I don't think anything else is really necessary.

• JDLowrance

Posted February 08, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Your gonna love a 16'. With a pipe, good air filter and comp. ECU they really rip. I don't think anything else is really necessary.

Good to hear. Honestly the 2012 has just enough off the bottom and through the mid....wouldn't mind a couple more up top though.

If the 2016 has that, plus the rommier ergos, it sounds like it'll be my next bike. Gotta get this house purchase out of the way first.

• stevethe

Posted February 08, 2016 - 06:01 PM

I'm not sure if this 12' had any mods or was stock. http://images.motorc...0enduro_yam.jpg

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 09, 2016 - 04:13 AM

I'm not sure if this 12' had any mods or was stock. http://images.motorc...0enduro_yam.jpg

Yikes. That's probably stock. Hopefully. Or the dyno was run by a KTM guy.

• JDLowrance

Posted February 09, 2016 - 06:14 AM

I can guarantee my 12 has more than 41hp. Probably 51hp.

Having said that, it all depends on what type of dyno you're running on.....you can easily see 20% difference from a rolling drum vs waterbrake.

Edited by JDLowrance, February 09, 2016 - 06:15 AM.

• stevethe

Posted February 09, 2016 - 06:54 AM

Some dyno stats that were done on two modified YFZ450's one is a fuel injected one has a carb. Both were done by one owner so the results should be good. The YFZ motor is essentially a WR motor the early version had a exhaust cam that was way advanced so most would retard the cam to WR specs. The fuel injected one now uses a WR cam. The owner is describing how the carbed version is near stock and close in horsepower to the pretty modified fuel injected model.

Remember a dyno doesn't tell all. Many a high HP bike could be slower on a racetrack due to it only producing a top end number. An example would be the earlier cams in the 13' YZ450 compared to the 14'-16' cam many testers describe the later camed bike to being way more desirable and faster on a track. The earlier camed bike was toted to be 60 RWHP while the new more desirable cam produced 57 RWHP but much better power.

So the 12'-15' may be very punchy and be quick to it's power peak. But I'm not sure from everything I have read on the subject it has as much top end HP as a carbed version. More on the subject is here http://www.yfzcentra...9r-vs-08-a.html

• Super_Davee

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Says the guy with the GYTR head lol. Any noticeable difference after the new head install? Do you think its worth it?

• Chaconne

Posted February 09, 2016 - 08:29 AM

Me either and it is not all that clear to me from the "specs" AFAICT. I don't buy the "expert only" stuff either, a new WR450 with the right fixings are not for the novice for sure. But any half-way decent dirt rider should be perfectly comfortable with such a well behaved machine IMHO. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450f Idle issue by WeekendWarriorz

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 Starting woes by W85W58

• Hot  500 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.