2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions

Yamaha WR450F 2012

226 replies to this topic
  • JDLowrance

Posted February 05, 2016 - 11:01 PM

I still have a 07' and 09' dirt ones and a 08' supermoto. I love WR's. I purposely skipped the 12-15 models. It's not enough of a difference IMO and the fuel injection didn't look to help the hp at all.

I would disagree with this statement. The difference in power between my well jetted and deres tricked 09 and my 2012 was substantial. Would be nice if the 2016 offered a similar increase in performance which seems to be the consensus from most of the reviews I've been reading.

• stevethe

Posted February 06, 2016 - 12:53 AM

I would disagree with this statement. The difference in power between my well jetted and deres tricked 09 and my 2012 was substantial. Would be nice if the 2016 offered a similar increase in performance which seems to be the consensus from most of the reviews I've been reading.

http://www.yfzcentra...s/110935?page=1

The carbed five valved motors usually make more HP.

The new backwards four valve motor cannot be compared to the five valve motors. With the straighter intake they make more power.

• stevethe

Posted February 06, 2016 - 05:31 AM

Pics of 1" lowered bike. It is 1" so it depends on the prospective you are used to viewing the bike. 

Kick stand down: IMG_2808_zpslv7x3kar.jpg

Resting on crate, no weight on kick stand: IMG_2810_zpsmw7vcego.jpg

Other side still on crate: IMG_2809_zpsoyygsaw7.jpg

• Summit

Posted February 06, 2016 - 06:31 AM

You mow your driveway??

• RMK800

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:01 AM

That's nice. I looked at the racetech and the cheap way of doing it. My question is you have the spacer and something about this notch. If you went with racetech couldn't you buy the spacers and a spring from them that matches the spacer and be done with it? Boy it's also a mystery, I can't find one YouTube video that takes you through this entire process with shortening. The only video I found was a guy taking a hack saw to his fork lol with the shortening spacer.

Edited by RMK800, February 06, 2016 - 08:05 AM.

• JDLowrance

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Only going by seat of pants but my 2012 is faster than the 09 both set up with the same pipe, etc. The 2012 has way more snap off the bottom, pulls harder through the mid and has slightly more up top.

The only draw back to the 2012 is the ergos are a little more cramped for larger folks.

Your 2016 looks like it was lowered more than an inch....not saying it was, just looks that way from the photos.

Cheers

• 2Speed

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:28 AM

Pics of 1" lowered bike. It is 1" so it depends on the prospective you are used to viewing the bike. 

What hand guards do you have? Those look very substantial. I had Acerbis on my '09 and they were nice and strong, but those look even beefier.

• Monk

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Resting on crate, no weight on kick stand: IMG_2810_zpsmw7vcego.jpg

Other side still on crate: IMG_2809_zpsoyygsaw7.jpg

Hard to tell, but are the forks flush with the clamp?

• 2Speed

Posted February 06, 2016 - 09:12 AM

FedEx just dropped off a little something for me...

The goodies are starting to roll in!

FD.20160206_101453_1.jpg

• Ghazzah

Posted February 06, 2016 - 04:27 PM

Hey, Steve. 

My WR450F is due in a couple of weeks and I am planning to rework the forks.  I did the whole job myself on my 2015 YZ250FX and didn't mess things up too badly. ;-)

I've been on the RaceTech Product Search but it looks as though they have not updated their '16 WR450 specs, as the fork components are identical to the old model '15 WR450F, and quite different to the '15 and '16 YZ450F components (which I am expecting the '16 WR450F to match)

Can you please give me the part numbers for:

1. The main chamber Fork Springs ...( 4449 series? ) 

2. The secondary chamber Pressure Springs ...( ??? ) 

3. The Res Piston Assembly ~ that replaces the white secondary spring housing ...( ??? )

4. The Gold Valve ~ Comp and Rebound ...( FMGV 3524C? ) 

Cheers, Gazza. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:28 PM

What hand guards do you have? Those look very substantial. I had Acerbis on my '09 and they were nice and strong, but those look even beefier.

Circra Pro Bend hand guards.

• stevethe

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Hard to tell, but are the forks flush with the clamp?

Yes the forks are flush in the clamps.

Just got back from riding and this is the best dialed suspension I have ever ridden. I wouldn't recommend to everone to shorten the suspension I think it's best only if you really need it. I'm about 5'7" so for me it's working well.

There is a day and night difference in stock compared to Enzo which could also have something to do with me being 160lbs. I had a good talk with them on getting it initially plush as I've heard they sometimes do stiffer stuff. Also discussed was to not deflect from rocks, ruts, roots, bumps and to work for whoops. They did it right out of the box. All I did was set the rear spring sag.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:47 PM

You mow your driveway??

He has goats

• stevethe

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Hey, Steve. 

My WR450F is due in a couple of weeks and I am planning to rework the forks.  I did the whole job myself on my 2015 YZ250FX and didn't mess things up too badly. ;-)

I've been on the RaceTech Product Search but it looks as though they have not updated their '16 WR450 specs, as the fork components are identical to the old model '15 WR450F, and quite different to the '15 and '16 YZ450F components (which I am expecting the '16 WR450F to match)

Can you please give me the part numbers for:

1. The main chamber Fork Springs ...( 4449 series? ) 
2. The secondary chamber Pressure Springs ...( ??? ) 
3. The Res Piston Assembly ~ that replaces the white secondary spring housing ...( ??? )
4. The Gold Valve ~ Comp and Rebound ...( FMGV 3524C? ) 

Cheers, Gazza.

The best way to figure out that stuff is to call Racetech direct and get it from the horses mouth so to speak. I'm not 100% sure of the exact part numbers of what Enzo put in mine as I didn't go with Racetech this time.
Racetech is good stuff IMO especially if you do it yourself.

• Monk

Posted February 06, 2016 - 09:03 PM

Just got back from riding and this is the best dialed suspension I have ever ridden. I wouldn't recommend to everone to shorten the suspension I think it's best only if you really need it. I'm about 5'7" so for me it's working well.

There is a day and night difference in stock compared to Enzo which could also have something to do with me being 160lbs. I had a good talk with them on getting it initially plush as I've heard they sometimes do stiffer stuff. Also discussed was to not deflect from rocks, ruts, roots, bumps and to work for whoops. They did it right out of the box. All I did was set the rear spring sag.

What was your sag? If its between 100-105mm, try raising the forks 3mm next time out...looking at the pictures it looks like the front end is a little high...

• stevethe

Posted February 06, 2016 - 09:09 PM

What was your sag? If its between 100-105mm, try raising the forks 3mm next time out...looking at the pictures it looks like the front end is a little high...

Yes it was set to 105mm as they told me. Thanks for the advice I will try raising the forks.

• KennyMc

Posted February 06, 2016 - 10:29 PM

Yea, mine was right the first time as well. I'm pretty close to the shop so I go down and talk with them when I drop my stuff off. All good guys.

Great to hear it worked out :thumbsup:

• stevethe

Posted February 07, 2016 - 06:44 AM

That's nice. I looked at the racetech and the cheap way of doing it. My question is you have the spacer and something about this notch. If you went with racetech couldn't you buy the spacers and a spring from them that matches the spacer and be done with it? Boy it's also a mystery, I can't find one YouTube video that takes you through this entire process with shortening. The only video I found was a guy taking a hack saw to his fork lol with the shortening spacer.

Racetech sells the spacers and in the rear you simply add the spacers to lower it. It uses the stock length spring when finished. In the front it's best to add the spacer and machine the spring perch c-clip so you use the stock length spring. I took my front dampers to Racetech and they added the spacer and machined it real cheap.

• stevethe

Posted February 07, 2016 - 06:53 AM

The 16' has some serious potential. The first bike is a 08' WR450 YZ'd with Zipty carb mods and a pipe. He got as high as he could on the hill. I had to slow down a bit before ripping past him on the 16' http://i1275.photobu...zpskccfuyjv.mp4

This video is the difference of the 16' flat ripping up Triumph hill. I've never been up it so fast.  http://i1275.photobu...zpsqkcfcnev.mp4

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 07, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Question:   Is power everything?   Is it the deciding factor or the primary factor?    Was the 09 lacking in power?

Back when I had my 05, it certainly had more than enough power for this weekend warrior.  I trail rode it, raced it, dual sported it...    Never once did I have the throttle on full lock and it wouldn't push my then 220lb ass with another 20lbs of gear through the deepest sand washed or up the gnarliest hills I was capable of riding.  

I've always thought that problem with the wr's were that they were pigs.  Big, heavy and hard to turn with mediocre brakes.   

I am waiting to pull the trigger on another wr450.   I "assume" that they have pretty much the same amount of power, but wonder if the handling between the 2012 and 2016 is night and day difference?    

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 Starting woes by W85W58

• Hot  500 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.