2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions

Yamaha WR450F 2012

226 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted January 25, 2016 - 10:46 AM

My ECU is coming in on Tue. I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep stock pipe, I absolutely love how stealthy quiet my bike is.

I would remove the pea shooter from the stock exhaust as described in the tuner instructions.

• Macsplace

Posted January 25, 2016 - 12:17 PM

So the competition ECU installed and the verdict is: The bike rips the lean spot down low is gone. I didn't try the stock all zeros in the competition ECU map yet. I am assuming the competition ECU with all Zero's is the same as a YZ450fx map or likely very similar. The GYTR WR450 ECU paper work say's it is meant for a de restricted intake and a FMF or YZ pipe. That should be in the same ballpark as a fx. 

I found this map from a 450fx in another thread and ran it. http://www.motorcycl...CU-Settings.jpg

It has quick revving and lots of top end HP in fact it goes so fast up some of the monster hills I had a hard time making the turns. :jawdrop:

121615-2016-yamaha-YZ450FX-AlternateECU-

That's awesome, how is the power from low to mid range?

• stevethe

Posted January 25, 2016 - 12:41 PM

That's awesome, how is the power from low to mid range?

Good power off the bottom. A lot better than the standard ECU. But I have not compared all zero's to the new map.

• Motodisiac

Posted January 25, 2016 - 06:16 PM

That useless chunk of metal was removed after break in ride. I noticed there is GYTR end tip available fore $45, wondering if it will make any difference.

D.

I would remove the pea shooter from the stock exhaust as described in the tuner instructions.

• stevethe

Posted January 25, 2016 - 06:21 PM

That useless chunk of metal was removed after break in ride. I noticed there is GYTR end tip available fore $45, wondering if it will make any difference.
D.

I would imagine you could get a YZ pipe for a good price. Then put a pro Moto billet end cap on it if you need s spark arrestor.

• RMK800

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:22 AM

I would imagine you could get a YZ pipe for a good price. Then put a pro Moto billet end cap on it if you need s spark arrestor.

The YZ pipe could be a cheap alternative. I like the pipe in my FX. Sure it doesn't look as cool, but the performance is still there.

Here is a link reviewing the 2014 YZ stock pipe with others on a dyno. As you can see, not a lot of difference.  Most is only 1hp difference!

http://motocrossacti...0f-exhaust-pipe

Edited by RMK800, January 26, 2016 - 11:05 AM.

• stevethe

Posted January 26, 2016 - 06:17 AM

The YZ pipe could be a cheap alternative. I like the pipe in my FX. Sure it doesn't look as cool, but the performance is still there.

Here is a link reviewing the YZ pipe with other on a dyno. As you can see, not a lot of difference.

http://motocrossacti...0f-exhaust-pipe

I'm not sure but isn't the YZ and the fx pipe the same or close?

Just so there are no real secrets a pipe is a header and a silencer. By the time you take out any baffles and put a end cap on it the bike has no clue who's pipe it is. The stock pipes would likely as good as anyone elses. I14754432.jpg

• RMK800

Posted January 26, 2016 - 11:04 AM

I'm not sure but isn't the YZ and the fx pipe the same or close?

Just so there are no real secrets a pipe is a header and a silencer. By the time you take out any baffles and put a end cap on it the bike has no clue who's pipe it is. The stock pipes would likely as good as anyone elses. I14754432.jpg

I'm not really sure If the 2016 YZ and FX pipes are the same.   Be nice to know.

• msgbean

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:11 PM

I'm not really sure If the 2016 YZ and FX pipes are the same.   Be nice to know.

they are the exact same pipe.

• TheW0LF

Posted January 26, 2016 - 05:58 PM

they are the exact same pipe.

isnt the yz muffler shorter?

Edited by TheW0LF, January 26, 2016 - 05:59 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msgbean

Posted January 26, 2016 - 06:31 PM

No.  Same exact part number.

• KennyMc

Posted January 26, 2016 - 06:31 PM

They seem to look the same:
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453861900.090788.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453861911.557846.jpg

• Motodisiac

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:43 PM

By the way there is a thread on YZ forum, one guy found $15 spark arrestor that fits in YZ pipe. Could be super cheap upgrade. I'm wondering if weight savings / powder gains are actually worth extra noise. Steve the, did you get a chance to throw stock muffler on a scale?

Edited by Motodisiac, January 26, 2016 - 09:04 PM.

• stevethe

Posted January 26, 2016 - 08:53 PM

By there way there is a thread on YZ forum, one guy found $15 spark arrestor that fits in YZ pipe. Could be super cheap upgrade. I'm wondering if weight savings / powder gains are actually worth extra noise. Steve the, did you get a chance to throw stock muffler on a scale?

Not yet but it feels pretty heavy.

• 2Speed

Posted January 29, 2016 - 04:31 PM

Picked mine up today. Man this thing is awesome!!!

WR1.jpg

Got a great deal from Matt at Maxim Yamaha Honda in Allen, TX. Got the first one they got in.

They took off the throttle screw and the pea-shooter before delivery. I took it out on their test track behind the store for a few quick laps. My first impression was how LIGHT it feels compared to my '09 WR. CG feels much lower. It was way easy to kick the back end out and roost out of the corner. Even with the stock ECU and map, you can tell there's HUGE power in this thing!

I can't stop grinning. Can't wait to get it out on the trails, hopefully tomorrow so I can have more to add.

Now to start ordering upgrades!  

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 29, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Damn it, you people are going to make me spend $9000 and I'm trying to be "content" with the '11 I already have. As soon as I figure out a clever way to put a license plate on it, I'm pulling the trigger on a '16.

• Super_Davee

Posted January 30, 2016 - 08:02 AM

I'm super jealous! I pretty much hounded every yamaha dealer in Houston, Austin, DFW and even some in San Antonio to get one. Mine just got out of the crate, but they are plating mine so it will be ready next week. Are you going to get yours plated?

Picked mine up today. Man this thing is awesome!!!

Got a great deal from Matt at Maxim Yamaha Honda in Allen, TX. Got the first one they got in.

They took off the throttle screw and the pea-shooter before delivery. I took it out on their test track behind the store for a few quick laps. My first impression was how LIGHT it feels compared to my '09 WR. CG feels much lower. It was way easy to kick the back end out and roost out of the corner. Even with the stock ECU and map, you can tell there's HUGE power in this thing!

I can't stop grinning. Can't wait to get it out on the trails, hopefully tomorrow so I can have more to add.

Now to start ordering upgrades!  

• 2Speed

Posted January 30, 2016 - 12:25 PM

I'm super jealous! I pretty much hounded every yamaha dealer in Houston, Austin, DFW and even some in San Antonio to get one. Mine just got out of the crate, but they are plating mine so it will be ready next week. Are you going to get yours plated?

Yes I'm going to plate it myself. I plated my '09 and it was pretty easy to do. I took off most of the DS kit before I sold it, and I'm going to reuse some of those parts. 

I'm going to do a few things differently this time. I'm going with hand guards that have the integrated turn signal, and I'm going to keep the stock rear tail light. It's already set up for stop- and brake-light functionality, just have to wire it properly. The last time I removed the stock tail light and used the light and mount that came with the DS kit. It never fit to my liking. 

I have to wait for the title to come in the mail before I can have it converted and re-titled.

The guys at Maxim would have plated it for me and titled it as a street bike, but I really prefer to do the work myself. And I'm not in any hurry.

• Texas2Smoker

Posted February 04, 2016 - 12:38 AM

I'm also wondering how much better the 16 feels than the 12-15.

• stevethe

Posted February 04, 2016 - 06:40 AM

I'm also wondering how much better the 16 feels than the 12-15.

Not to take too much away from the previous model the new 16' is very well sorted. The only issues are it costs more, doesn't have a big tank and is a bit tall. I just had Enzo lower mine an 1', make it more plush and spring it for my weight. I emailed Acerbis on the need for a little larger gas tank and they replied they are coming out with a bit bigger tank for the 16' WR250. That should also fit the 450 I believe.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

• Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450f Idle issue by WeekendWarriorz

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 IMS fuel tank by Dave WR450

• Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.