2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions

Yamaha WR450F 2012

226 replies to this topic
  • Motodisiac

Posted January 20, 2016 - 12:15 AM

You bet he did, while screaming: " come on &%$#@!, it's a freeway ". It was unforgettable day and it showed that we have so much to learn. Some of those hills looked absolutely impossible to ride on.

• stevethe

Posted January 20, 2016 - 06:36 AM

Bombardier left me a voicemail saying he wasnt able to operate the links i emailed him, but that the report was posted on facebook. i dont have a facebook, but is the report being well received?

From a English teacher posted on my Faceplant I mean Facebook.  "Such a well written & enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing, Snake."

You certainly do have a great penmanship Mr. Wolf !  :thumbsup: The boy can ride too and he don't stop until mission usually accomplished. :ride:  :ride:  :ride:  

Edited by stevethe, January 20, 2016 - 06:55 AM.

• stevethe

Posted January 20, 2016 - 06:51 AM

How many squaresquare miles is Jawbone?

Jawbone Cyn by itself is about maybe 15 square miles with some gnarly stuff sprinkled about. Then it leads out further and connects to Dove springs which is just trails with whoops. However it also leads to the psycho ridge ride to the Piute Mountains, leads to Lone Tree Cyn. with the old backwards enduro leave clutch levers behind ride, then the Snakes wagon wheel road, then in Lone Tree we have ass licker one and two, twin sisters and many more. That's even not to mention the Snake pit area with much larger hills. There is a lot of gnarly fun areas to ride in So. Cal.

• Monk

Posted January 20, 2016 - 07:15 AM

Jawbone Cyn by itself is about maybe 15 square miles with some gnarly stuff sprinkled about. Then it leads out further and connects to Dove springs which is just trails with whoops. However it also leads to the psycho ridge ride to the Piute Mountains, leads to Lone Tree Cyn. with the old backwards enduro leave clutch levers behind ride, then the Snakes wagon wheel road, then in Lone Tree we have ass licker one and two, twin sisters and many more. That's even not to mention the Snake pit area with much larger hills. There is a lot of gnarly fun areas to ride in So. Cal.

Wow, that's not very big. We have something like 80,000sq miles of terrain within a 15min drive from me. Only about 5000sq miles is actually developed.

• baha

Posted January 20, 2016 - 07:24 AM

Wow, that's not very big. We have something like 80,000sq miles of terrain within a 15min drive from me. Only about 5000sq miles is actually developed.

Back in the day Jawbone was a center spot where one could ride into the Piutes to Spangler or if you wanted all the way to Mammoth. 

This was at one time the spot period.  I use to go a few times a year but now I will not even go.  

Saddest thing in the California dirt bike world.

IMGP3589.jpgIMGP3424.jpg

• Monk

Posted January 20, 2016 - 07:31 AM

Back in the day Jawbone was a center spot where one could ride into the Piutes to Spangler or if you wanted all the way to Mammoth.
This was at one time the spot period. I use to go a few times a year but now I will not even go.

Saddest thing in the California dirt bike world.
IMGP3589.jpgIMGP3424.jpg

For sure. Keep in mind you guys can ride year round too. I have all this land to ride on... For only 6 months of the year. It is incredible though as its still somewhat the wild west up here. You can ride pretty much wherever you want. No doubt that it will change over time but at this point it's pretty nice. Adding to the idea we don't have that population density. You might see 10 trucks parked at the entrance but 99/100 you'll never see a single rider.

• patrick2wd

Posted January 20, 2016 - 08:16 AM

looks horrible.....

we have this to play with...

plat.JPG

:banghead:

Edited by patrick2wd, January 20, 2016 - 08:17 AM.

• patrick2wd

Posted January 20, 2016 - 08:18 AM

any thoughts on radiator brackets?

for the 2016 WR?

• stevethe

Posted January 20, 2016 - 08:46 AM

For sure. Keep in mind you guys can ride year round too. I have all this land to ride on... For only 6 months of the year. It is incredible though as its still somewhat the wild west up here. You can ride pretty much wherever you want. No doubt that it will change over time but at this point it's pretty nice. Adding to the idea we don't have that population density. You might see 10 trucks parked at the entrance but 99/100 you'll never see a single rider.

No one rides are trails either. Usually flat landers or at the Jawbone store drinking a beer or eating.

• KennyMc

Posted January 20, 2016 - 12:13 PM

No one rides are trails either. Usually flat landers or at the Jawbone store drinking a beer or eating.

Yea, size isn't everything.....wait, uh, er......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted January 22, 2016 - 12:31 AM

looks horrible.....

we have this to play with...

plat.JPG

:banghead:

But you have awesome beer !

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted January 22, 2016 - 12:32 AM

So what is the verdict on the 2016 WR450F compared to the previous generation ?   Better handling ?  More power ? Faster ? More nimble ?

• patrick2wd

Posted January 22, 2016 - 01:00 AM

But you have awesome beer !

You mean the beer in that green bottle... with a star starting with an H....???
I hope youre joking... thats stuff is like cowpiss..horrible...
And Im serious... really... Its horrible!!!

• asb77

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:38 AM

Does the 16 feel roomier/ bigger than the 12-15? I don't know any WR riders so I have not ridden either.  I'd like a new bike, and I'm tall so I like large bikes.  I'm considering a WR, and looking for an excuse to buy the 16 rather than a 12-15. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:40 AM

You mean the beer in that green bottle... with a star starting with an H....???
I hope youre joking... thats stuff is like cowpiss..horrible...
And Im serious... really... Its horrible!!!

No, not Hein... between Netherlands and Belgium, you have a lot of craft breweries and an excellent beer scene.  And its fresh when you drink it.  It is a month old by the time we get it.  

And your women all look like supermodels.

I see you point about riding areas though.

• stevethe

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:51 AM

Does the 16 feel roomier/ bigger than the 12-15? I don't know any WR riders so I have not ridden either.  I'd like a new bike, and I'm tall so I like large bikes.  I'm considering a WR, and looking for an excuse to buy the 16 rather than a 12-15. 

I don't know if it's any roomier. The 16' is a pretty awesome bike IMO big difference than the 12-15 and it's plenty tall.

• stevethe

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:53 AM

So what is the verdict on the 2016 WR450F compared to the previous generation ?   Better handling ?  More power ? Faster ? More nimble ?

Should be more nimble due to the centralized mass. More power and faster = yes.

• patrick2wd

Posted January 23, 2016 - 04:57 AM

Ive just returned from my local dealer..

he told me that the first bunch of new WR's are sold, in the EU.... and he only got two..

well... that leaves me plenty of time to gather enough info, crap and other details about the bike...

so... :blah:

• stevethe

Posted January 25, 2016 - 06:39 AM

So the competition ECU installed and the verdict is: The bike rips the lean spot down low is gone. I didn't try the stock all zeros in the competition ECU map yet. I am assuming the competition ECU with all Zero's is the same as a YZ450fx map or likely very similar. The GYTR WR450 ECU paper work say's it is meant for a de restricted intake and a FMF or YZ pipe. That should be in the same ballpark as a fx. 

I found this map from a 450fx in another thread and ran it. http://www.motorcycl...CU-Settings.jpg

It has quick revving and lots of top end HP in fact it goes so fast up some of the monster hills I had a hard time making the turns. :jawdrop:

121615-2016-yamaha-YZ450FX-AlternateECU-

Edited by stevethe, January 25, 2016 - 06:40 AM.

• Motodisiac

Posted January 25, 2016 - 10:42 AM

My ECU is coming in on Tue. I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep stock pipe, I absolutely love how stealthy quiet my bike is.

Edited by Motodisiac, January 25, 2016 - 10:42 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 Starting woes by W85W58

• Hot  500 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 42 reviews
  • Last review by Ptch5636
  • On October 02, 2016
Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.