2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions

Yamaha WR450F 2012

226 replies to this topic
  • Texas2Smoker

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:09 PM

Still nobody can provide a comparison between last gen and new gen?! I'm starting a new thread..

• JDLowrance

Posted March 15, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Seems nobody on this forum has ridden both....in a meaningful manor anyway.

Was starting to jones for a 2016 but realized I'm perfectly happy with my low hour 2012....for now. Plus I'm really not too keen on the IMS tank for the 2016. Hopefully someone makes something better....soon.

• Motodisiac

Posted March 15, 2016 - 09:12 PM

Regarding gas tank. I was looking at different options and came up with easy solution for now.

Most of my rides are within my stock tank range. I would rather not install some ugly aftermarket tank for very occasional use.

In case I need the extended range, I will have 3 gallons with me by simply throwing this in my Kriega pack:

https://giantloopmot...l-safe-bladder/

One gallon, dump it in the gas tank when you burn through enough fuel. Easy.

Edited by Motodisiac, March 15, 2016 - 09:13 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:01 AM

Regarding gas tank. I was looking at different options and came up with easy solution for now.

Most of my rides are within my stock tank range. I would rather not install some ugly aftermarket tank for very occasional use.

In case I need the extended range, I will have 3 gallons with me by simply throwing this in my Kriega pack:

https://giantloopmot...l-safe-bladder/

One gallon, dump it in the gas tank when you burn through enough fuel. Easy.

That's cool, good find. I was looking at the bottles, but this is a more practical. Most of the time just a half gallon would be all I would need, but having the ability to add more is nice.

• stevethe

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:25 AM

I'm not sure how those bladders would hold up in a all falls down. I once did a superman and landed on my backpack exploding the camel back bladder.
Another option that I recently went with is aluminum MSR bottles from REI or off the internet. They hold about a quart of gas. I put two in my back pack.

• stevethe

Posted March 16, 2016 - 05:27 AM

Extra fuel for the 2016 WR450

MSR fuel bottles http://www.twistedth...CFVBefgod0T0LqA

Another candidate http://www.justgasta...6-gallon-white/

Edited by stevethe, March 16, 2016 - 05:36 AM.

• Motodisiac

Posted March 16, 2016 - 10:33 AM

I think the Giant Loop container will hold up just fine. The bladder is surrounded by Cordura like webbing unlike our Camelbacks. Of course I would minimize time I would have this thing in my backpack.

I have tried using aluminum fuel containers but there are issues. First of all it's small. Number two and more crucial to me is they are hard. If you land on your back hard enough to burst Camelback, can you imagine the damage that aluminum container can do? I want my back in one piece. 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 20 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 42 reviews
  • Last review by Ptch5636
  • On October 02, 2016
Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

• Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450f Idle issue by WeekendWarriorz

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.