2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions

Yamaha WR450F 2012

226 replies to this topic
  • RockerYZWR

Posted February 19, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Dang. Might have to get one of those and try some night riding.

• Monk

Posted February 19, 2016 - 06:58 PM

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted February 19, 2016 - 11:32 PM

Holy poop! $60 Cyclops LED, 3600lumen bulb in a stock WR mask...I am well amazed of the performance. Those pillars are about 70ft down my driveway. I really don't think you can go wrong with this setup...

20160219_180723_zpsm8lokxjp.jpg

+1 on the WR headlight shell.  I also put an H4 led in my stock WR light (not Cyclops) and it kicks ass.  Most stock headlight reflectors are pretty sorry, but 2012 and up WR reflector is great.  With an led bulb it has great spread and decent throw.  My bulb is only using the top half (low beam half) of the reflector as the leds on mine are only on the top half of the bulb so I would imagine it to be pretty outstanding if my bulb could also utilize the high beam side of the reflector.  I also have a 60 watt led off road light that I use and I think the stock WR housing is just as good and far lighter. 

• Chaconne

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Holy poop! $60 Cyclops LED, 3600lumen bulb in a stock WR mask...I am well amazed of the performance. Those pillars are about 70ft down my driveway. I really don't think you can go wrong with this setup...

20160219_180723_zpsm8lokxjp.jpg

Wow.

• Ghazzah

Posted February 22, 2016 - 07:30 PM

...Mine's sitting in a warehouse in Auckland, while YamahaNZ attempt to sell off all of the old stock. Grump. Stupid, stupid, stupid corporate marketing BS. There's no way I will buy a '15, I'm a cash buyer, so frickin' give me the '16 bike, YNZ. 

My dealer has my '15 250FX, a wad of cash, a bottle of Glenfiddich, a sack of whisky stones. I'm ready to go. 

Sigh. Rant over. I'm normally a mature, sensible, patient chap. Except when it comes to scooters. 

8^)-

• Macsplace

Posted February 22, 2016 - 08:50 PM

Had a chance to ride last weekend and really like the 16 WR450. Mods include GYTR FI module and FMF Q Hex slip-on. Compaired to my 07 which has been de-restricted, suspension done and running a DRD exhaust system with quite insert the 16 power is better across entire band. Did notice some abruptness in tight single track 1st gear situations but nothing that better throttle control can't fix. Suspension is way better loving the SSS front fork. The 16 does feel lighter when in motion. This bike is also slightly taller. Gas mileage was 49 MPG during a 120 mile dual sport ride which was approx 10% single track, 50% OHV trails, 25% gravel roads and 15% normal road travel. According to my Trail Tech Striker the fan was starting at 185 degrees. Still have a few mods to do and will start testing maps with GYTR power tuner soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• 220_7.jpg

• gize

Posted February 22, 2016 - 10:48 PM

Hey Mac, mine is currently in a crate waiting to be built along with slip-on and competition ECU the dealer is going to pop on for me.  Please keep us posted on your upgrade finding :)   Can't wait to take mine out!!

• Super_Davee

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:09 AM

Had a chance to ride last weekend and really like the 16 WR450. Mods include GYTR FI module and FMF Q Hex slip-on. Compaired to my 07 which has been de-restricted, suspension done and running a DRD exhaust system with quite insert the 16 power is better across entire band. Did notice some abruptness in tight single track 1st gear situations but nothing that better throttle control can't fix. Suspension is way better loving the SSS front fork. The 16 does feel lighter when in motion. This bike is also slightly taller. Gas mileage was 49 MPG during a 120 mile dual sport ride which was approx 10% single track, 50% OHV trails, 25% gravel roads and 15% normal road travel. According to my Trail Tech Striker the fan was starting at 185 degrees. Still have a few mods to do and will start testing maps with GYTR power tuner soon.

The blue number plate looks good! What graphics kit did you install?

• Macsplace

Posted February 23, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Hey Mac, mine is currently in a crate waiting to be built along with slip-on and competition ECU the dealer is going to pop on for me.  Please keep us posted on your upgrade finding :)   Can't wait to take mine out!!

Hope you get it soon, the 16 is a nice ride. Will do on the upgrades.

• Macsplace

Posted February 23, 2016 - 07:52 AM

The blue number plate looks good! What graphics kit did you install?

Thanks, I installed Acerbis blue YZ radiator shrouds and Factory Effex EVO YZ graphics. Not sure how well these graphics would fit the stock shrouds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 23, 2016 - 11:18 AM

There was a LED headlight thread a few months ago but seems good to summarize the findings here....

This is the LED light that Cyclops is selling for $65...

http://www.aliexpres...2326686025.html

I was skeptical of fans in my light bulbs but so far no issues.

If you don't like active cooling in a light bulb, here are a couple options:

http://www.aliexpres...2048164273.html

http://www.aliexpres...2393818432.html

Since the bulbs are coming from China anyway why not pay ~$24 each instead of $60+

I have ordered the bulbs in all three links (I have nine WRs) and all of them delivery was fast and reliable, the units are high quality (the first link is the

exact bulb cyclops is selling) and insanely bright while consuming a fraction of the power of a regular bulb.  Have been using them for a few months

now and no issues.   

Considering a high-end H4 halogen bulb can set you back $15-20 going LED is a no-brainer, especially when it can fit into the stock reflector.

• Monk

Posted February 23, 2016 - 11:24 AM

There was a LED headlight thread a few months ago but seems good to summarize the findings here...

This is the LED light that Cyclops is selling for $65...

http://www.aliexpres...2326686025.html

I was skeptical of fans in my light bulbs but so far no issues.

If you don't like active cooling in a light bulb, here are a couple options:

http://www.aliexpres...2048164273.html

http://www.aliexpres...2393818432.html

Since the bulbs are coming from China anyway why not pay ~$24 each instead of $60+

I have ordered the bulbs in all three links (I have nine WRs) and all of them delivery was fast and reliable, the units are high quality (the first link is the
exact bulb cyclops is selling) and insanely bright while consuming a fraction of the power of a regular bulb. Have been using them for a few months
now and no issues.

Considering a high-end H4 halogen bulb can set you back $15-20 going LED is a no-brainer, especially when it can fit into the stock reflector.

Those bulbs are not the same as what Cyclops sells...

20160220_095450_zpsqcaztpov.jpg

Edited by Monk, February 23, 2016 - 11:25 AM.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 23, 2016 - 11:45 AM

Those bulbs are not the same as what Cyclops sells...

No of course that is not the same...   I posted H4 bulb, which is different but a bunch of the posts on the previous page

mentioned H4 bulbs so those are the examples I posted.

For the H4 bulb, the link I posted is in fact the exact bulb Cyclops is selling.

The one you posted looks like this one:

http://www.aliexpres...2509187036.html

Just the result a quick search, but that looks like the one.   

$20 a pop

Edited by DeepPurplishBlue, February 23, 2016 - 12:01 PM.

• stevethe

Posted February 23, 2016 - 11:56 AM

No of course that is not the same...   I posted H4 bulb, which is different but a bunch of the posts on the previous page
mentioned H4 bulbs so those are the examples I posted.

For the H4 bulb, the link I posted is in fact the exact bulb Cyclops is selling.

The one you posted looks like this one:

http://http://www.al...2509187036.html

Just the result a quick search, but that looks like the one.   

$20 a pop

Your link doesn't work. Interested.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 23, 2016 - 12:02 PM

Your link doesn't work. Interested.

Fixed...  TT messed up the link with http: in it twice

• Monk

Posted February 23, 2016 - 12:29 PM

Fixed... TT messed up the link with http: in it twice

Hmm, only rating it at 2500 lumen, the one from Cyclops is 3600 lumen... Nearly a 30% difference in brightness...

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted February 23, 2016 - 12:33 PM

Hmm, only rating it at 2500 lumen, the one from Cyclops is 3600 lumen... Nearly a 30% difference in brightness...

True, but I did say that was just a quick search...    given a little more time I could probably come up with the matching specs

• Monk

Posted February 23, 2016 - 12:45 PM

True, but I did say that was just a quick search... given a little more time I could probably come up with the matching specs

Yes for sure, no doubt Daryl probably designed and built them, and they were just copied...

• GHILL28

Posted February 23, 2016 - 01:13 PM

A couple of years ago we got set up by a guy named Myron.

We were just unloading the bikes in Jawbone area hoping to find some nice flowing trails there (first time in the area) and he cruises by, asking if we are good riders. We did not suspect anything, after all how can an old guy on ancient two stroke KTM 500 be any better than 3 young bucks on shiny 450s? You can see where this is going.

We have never been this embarrassed in our life. I must have picked up my bike 1000 times as Myron was wheeling up and down the hills that were impossible for us. That day we all became better riders but we never rode in this area again

This definitely sounds like it's in the same neighborhood.

Yeah he does that...how long ago was that?  Haven't heard of him being out there in a long time.

• GHILL28

Posted February 23, 2016 - 01:23 PM

For the "unable to find neutral issue", do yourselves a favor, pop the clutch out, loosen the center clutch hub nut, and re-torque it to about 40 ft-lbs.  Shifting should feel golden.  My '14 450F had some stiff-ass shifting until I did that, and I couldn't find neutral with the motor on.  The guys at Rekluse recommended that.  I guess it's a Yamaha thing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 20 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 42 reviews
  • Last review by Ptch5636
  • On October 02, 2016
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 IMS fuel tank by Dave WR450

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.