My first WR400

3 replies to this topic
  • DaKing

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:39 AM

G'day everyone from downunder. I'm about to get my first WR400 Yamaha DirtBike. Heres the thing. I'm a 6 foot 10 inches 115 Kilo Bloke.

I'm worried that the bikes suspension and Pegs and other things will not be able to hold me. Is there any advice you can give me on Suspension and Pegs. Also, Is there a best way to start the bike? Thanks everyone for your answers. 

Model:WR400

Make:Yamaha

Year:2000

Edited by DaKing, January 18, 2016 - 05:41 AM.

• ftl900

Posted January 18, 2016 - 09:33 AM

I weigh 200 (90 kilo) and have jumped my 400 repeatedly.  I think the frame and pegs will be just fine.  You might want to look at having the suspension set for your weight. 

Starting the bike is impossible if you don't know how, and drop dead easy once you get the routine down:

Depress the kick lever until you hit compression.. until you can't push anymore.  

Let the lever go back up to the top (so you're getting a full kick) and then give it everything you have.  I always started mine while standing on the pegs, but I'm only 5;11".

I've heard that changing one of the cams (exhaust, I think) helps to make it much easier to kick over, but I didn't do that.

More info by searching on TT and other sites.  Good luck!

photo%2B4.JPG

Edited by ftl900, January 18, 2016 - 09:33 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaKing

Posted January 18, 2016 - 10:30 PM

I weigh 200 (90 kilo) and have jumped my 400 repeatedly.  I think the frame and pegs will be just fine.  You might want to look at having the suspension set for your weight. 

Starting the bike is impossible if you don't know how, and drop dead easy once you get the routine down:

Depress the kick lever until you hit compression.. until you can't push anymore.  

Let the lever go back up to the top (so you're getting a full kick) and then give it everything you have.  I always started mine while standing on the pegs, but I'm only 5;11".

I've heard that changing one of the cams (exhaust, I think) helps to make it much easier to kick over, but I didn't do that.

More info by searching on TT and other sites.  Good luck!

photo%2B4.JPG

Thanks for the advice!

• ftl900

Posted January 26, 2016 - 03:00 PM

If you read about this guy jumping his WR450 on an MX track, you'll see that he eventually had cracks develop at the footpeg mounts, subframe, and the main frame, but he also abused the crap out of that bike. He eventually destroyed the motor at around 10,00 miles of MX track riding.  In there somewhere, he estimates how much abuse it took:

"Let me put it in perspective for you. 10,000 miles is like 14,000 laps on the Metcalf MX track. Each lap has 15 jumps, so another way of looking at this is the WR450F lasted about 210,000 jumps before it broke."

http://www.southbayr.../threads/10730/

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.